Tandem Man

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  • Towcar:Passat Alltrack 177PS DSG
  • Caravan:Unicorn 3 Cadiz

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:58 pm

Went to see a U4 Cadiz a few days ago for the first time,oh dear.

Whilst,in my opinion,the exterior is OK there are so many design flaws in the interior.

I have seen it mentioned on here that Bailey seem to put great store in the views of the Bailey Owners Club when launching a new model,weren't they consulted this time ?

Ian

#2 banjokat

banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Towcar:XC60 D5 AWD
  • Caravan:Sterling Europa 460

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:59 pm

I just read a piece in Practical Caravan about how a owners focus group helped them out. I think they asked the wrong people to help!

• Dirty Trucker likes this

#3 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:"Happy Camping"

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:25 pm

I just read a piece in Practical Caravan about how a owners focus group helped them out. I think they asked the wrong people to help!

Ask Alan Stanley here on CT . . He is an active member of the Bailey Owners Club and as posted many topics on communicating with Bailey Caravans during his membership.

#4 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Vanning, Archery, Woodwork.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2014 Kx3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 3

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:20 am

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the consultation re unicorn 4 as I am not on the panel. Too old I recon. Some members of the owners club were at pre launch events. If Bailey follow the usual set up they will have designers/engineers/senior management available on their stand at the NEC. Any feedback will be possible then. They certainly listened and acted for the 3 series.

Anyone curious about the owners club please pop along. Bailey give us a stand as part of their main factory stand.
  • Silverback likes this

#5 Trelfa

Trelfa

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Towcar:Audi
  • Caravan:Unicorn 2

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:15 pm

Went to see a U4 Cadiz a few days ago for the first time,oh dear.

Whilst,in my opinion,the exterior is OK there are so many design flaws in the interior.

I have seen it mentioned on here that Bailey seem to put great store in the views of the Bailey Owners Club when launching a new model,weren't they consulted this time ?

Ian

Is there any reason you are not a member of the owners club, you would then be able to ask all the questions and put views forward to Bailey.

#6 Endeeo

Endeeo

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Walking, gardening & grandsons
  • Towcar:Mercedes E-Class Estate 220d SE
  • Caravan:Bailey Pegasus 4 Rimini

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:25 pm

Is there any reason you are not a member of the owners club, you would then be able to ask all the questions and put views forward to Bailey.

Only if you pay £25 p.a. plus you have to be selected for "the panel" (see 4)!

• xtrailman likes this

#7 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:40 pm

Apparently not, there seems to be a select panel only and not all members are consulted . .. .  well according to posts above.

What I've just noticed looking through their website is the entry Pursuit, this caravan has the front side lockers returned giving more access from outside to storage, yet the flagship model Unicorn doesn't. :blink:

Edited by Silverback, 10 September 2017 - 03:44 pm.

#8 Trelfa

Trelfa

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Towcar:Audi
  • Caravan:Unicorn 2

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:05 pm

Only if you pay £25 p.a. plus you have to be selected for "the panel" (see 4)!

Members of this group are raising serious good points, if they are passionate about the Unicorn 4, surely the cost of membership is worth it and at the same time have the opportunity to have their say to the right people.

A good example is Bailey have invited members of the Owners Club to the factory next week to discuss the 2018 range of awnings with the designers and directors, so Bailey do ask and listen. There was no selection, every member was given the opportunity to be included.

#9 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  • Towcar:Passat Alltrack 177PS DSG
  • Caravan:Unicorn 3 Cadiz

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:38 pm

Yes there is a reason I am not in the owners club but I am not discussing it on here.

Ian

#10 Dobloseven

Dobloseven

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Diy,car maintenance,industrial history
  • Towcar:Renault minibus
  • Caravan:Bailey Pursuit 540/5

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:46 pm

The Pursuit has always had side lockers, except for the shorter variants which don't have a front chest either.
  • arthurbierschenk likes this

#11 mrsfallon

mrsfallon

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Towcar:Audi Q3 184
  • Caravan:2017 Lunar Delta RI

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:26 pm

So a quick question and this is a genuine question from someone who last owned a Bailey pre Alutech.  Are the latest Alutech construction vans problematic, or have they resolved most of the issues. 

I know all caravan manufacturers have problems are the Bailey builds any worse?

#12 Woodentop

Woodentop

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Towcar:VW Passat Executive TDi 140 CR Estate
  • Caravan:Bailey Pegasus 462

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:01 pm

So a quick question and this is a genuine question from someone who last owned a Bailey pre Alutech.  Are the latest Alutech construction vans problematic, or have they resolved most of the issues. 

I know all caravan manufacturers have problems are the Bailey builds any worse?

We bought a Pegasus 462 2-berth 2010 model (which was then top of the range as the Unicorn did not appear until 2011) from a large dealer in 2012.

After our first outing to Sandringham we came back with 17 faults albeit most fairly minor. We went back to the dealer who fixed every one without question. After a coule more jaunts one in France and coming up on the anniversary of buying it we went back with 18 faults to which they found another so 19, and again they were all fixed without question. We told the dealer we were concerned that we might have bought a lemon and be faced with expensive repairs once it was out of their warranty. No worry they said, have an extra two years warranty f.o.c. on us. We have not had a single fault since.

In terms of the 10-year body warranty (it was 6 plus 4 f.o.c.) we had the known issue of the inside floors of the front side lockers getting wet which were fixed under Bailey warranty, and a later issue of damp on the outside floor O/S/F was also fixed quickly under Bailey warranty.

That was three years ago and it has not had a problem since - in fact the service report has shown it to be 100% dry for the last three years.

The only chargeable fault was when I slipped and fell against the shower wall and it partly cracked down the corner. It was noticeable that the replacement wall was much thicker than the original.

We have just ordered a new Unicorn S4 Seville for December delivery. There are clear quality and design issues - for instance there is a gap of maybe 4-5mm between the toilet door and its frame on the hinge size due to the type of hinges used and the fact that the door is not designed to close in line with its frame on the hinge side - but I will want to see that fixed before I accept delivery. The S3 model had two power sockets for the TV and (presumably) satellite box but the S4 has only one. The S4 is also nearly a foot shorter than the S3 - which in my case will make it easier to get onto the drive.

I will be very sad to part with the Peg. It has been a good, reliable, spacious, and cosy friend to my wife and I, but whoever buys it will get a bargain.

I should add that the van before the Peg was a 2 y.o. (when we bought it) Pageant Majestic Series 5 and we never had any issues with that one either other than the shower tray cracking around the outlet when I accidentally put by big foot in it! That was not an Alu-Tech body but was still as dry as a bone.

Edited by Woodentop, 10 September 2017 - 09:05 pm.

• mrsfallon likes this

#13 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:03 pm

The Pursuit has always had side lockers, except for the shorter variants which don't have a front chest either.

So why can't they be fitted to flagship models ??

#14 Dobloseven

Dobloseven

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Diy,car maintenance,industrial history
  • Towcar:Renault minibus
  • Caravan:Bailey Pursuit 540/5

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:17 pm

By not having the lockers,the seating can extend further into the front of the van,giving effectively a longer interior.Personally,I like the lockers and the deeper front shelf and chest that comes with them.Other opinions are available!
  • exkiaman likes this

#15 mrsfallon

mrsfallon

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Towcar:Audi Q3 184
  • Caravan:2017 Lunar Delta RI

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:19 pm

We bought a Pegasus 462 2-berth 2010 model (which was then top of the range as the Unicorn did not appear until 2011) from a large dealer in 2012.

After our first outing to Sandringham we came back with 17 faults albeit most fairly minor. We went back to the dealer who fixed every one without question. After a coule more jaunts one in France and coming up on the anniversary of buying it we went back with 18 faults to which they found another so 19, and again they were all fixed without question. We told the dealer we were concerned that we might have bought a lemon and be faced with expensive repairs once it was out of their warranty. No worry they said, have an extra two years warranty f.o.c. on us. We have not had a single fault since.

In terms of the 10-year body warranty (it was 6 plus 4 f.o.c.) we had the known issue of the inside floors of the front side lockers getting wet which were fixed under Bailey warranty, and a later issue of damp on the outside floor O/S/F was also fixed quickly under Bailey warranty.

That was three years ago and it has not had a problem since - in fact the service report has shown it to be 100% dry for the last three years.

The only chargeable fault was when I slipped and fell against the shower wall and it partly cracked down the corner. It was noticeable that the replacement wall was much thicker than the original.

We have just ordered a new Unicorn S4 Seville for December delivery. There are clear quality and design issues - for instance there is a gap of maybe 4-5mm between the toilet door and its frame on the hinge size due to the type of hinges used and the fact that the door is not designed to close in line with its frame on the hinge side - but I will want to see that fixed before I accept delivery. The S3 model had two power sockets for the TV and (presumably) satellite box but the S4 has only one. The S4 is also nearly a foot shorter than the S3 - which in my case will make it easier to get onto the drive.

I will be very sad to part with the Peg. It has been a good, reliable, spacious, and cosy friend to my wife and I, but whoever buys it will get a bargain.

I should add that the van before the Peg was a 2 y.o. (when we bought it) Pageant Majestic Series 5 and we never had any issues with that one either other than the shower tray cracking around the outlet when I accidentally put by big foot in it! That was not an Alu-Tech body but was still as dry as a bone.

The reviews regarding the Seville do look quite positive regarding the layout.  I know it won't be for everyone but it having seen one yesterday it certainly did work.

#16 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:38 pm

By not having the lockers,the seating can extend further into the front of the van,giving effectively a longer interior.Personally,I like the lockers and the deeper front shelf and chest that comes with them.Other opinions are available!

The front small side lockers would still be viable with increased seat lengths.. they would just have to compartmentalised the very forward area to the front seats, for wet locker usage. Simples

Edited by Silverback, 10 September 2017 - 09:39 pm.

#17 Disco4

Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:52 pm

The front small side lockers would still be viable with increased seat lengths.. they would just have to compartmentalised the very forward area to the front seats, for wet locker usage. Simples

I've not had a van with them, so perhaps I'm ill-placed to comment, but why do you need them?

On my Cartagena there's the gas compartment which will take 2x 6kg Calor, mains cable on a reel, all the pipework req'd for a service pitch, 2 litre toilet chemical container & various odds and sods for cleaning the van. There's two external lockers which have lining from the floor, each of which are big enough to take a wastewater. The only thing that won't fit there is an Aquaroll. I'm not sure I understand what I'd put in an extra wet locker, and definitely wouldn't want one where it'd be adding noseweight.

#18 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:36 pm

I've not had a van with them, so perhaps I'm ill-placed to comment, but why do you need them?

On my Cartagena there's the gas compartment which will take 2x 6kg Calor, mains cable on a reel, all the pipework req'd for a service pitch, 2 litre toilet chemical container & various odds and sods for cleaning the van. There's two external lockers which have lining from the floor, each of which are big enough to take a wastewater. The only thing that won't fit there is an Aquaroll. I'm not sure I understand what I'd put in an extra wet locker, and definitely wouldn't want one where it'd be adding noseweight.

Well if you've never had them ??

There's no reason to add to nose weight as the original side lockers also complimented a front glass locker but today that's moved to over the axle, also there is already a front forward hatch in today's Unicorn but unfortunately that locker opens into open under seating areas. A compartmentalised small hatch locker enables the storage of water and waste feeds, small buckets, toilet chemicals, cleaning cloths, sponges and buckets and in our case also allowed for storage of our walking boots, together with dog tether spike and feeding dishes.

Edited by Silverback, 10 September 2017 - 10:39 pm.

#19 ianfish

ianfish

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:caravans, food, wine, music,pubs etc etc......
  • Towcar:Landrover Freelander 2
  • Caravan:Bailey Pegasus Verona S4

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:23 am

Our Verona is the first van we've had without front lockers, and we don't miss them at all! The Verona has more than enough storage space, more than any other van we've had. The storage of gas cylinders over the axle is a no brainer isn't it? The only thing we don't like is the damp between the door and the wheel arch ! But that's another story!

#20 Markt1891

Markt1891

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Madrid

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:32 am

When I switched from my Elddis Affinity to the U3 the only thing I thought I would miss was the front locker. It was where I stored toilet chemicals, cleaning products etc. However I have just purchased some plastic storage boxes and stuck them to the floor under the front nearside seating using Velcro. I now store these items in the storage boxes and nothing moves around whilst towing but they can be easily removed if needed.

Mark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users