banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Towcar:XC60 D5 AWD
  • Caravan:Sterling Europa 460

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:49 pm

Evening everyone, We are thinking of changing our van in the new year and had been thinking of the Bailey Cadiz but don't like the latest version. Anyway, as I like to research these things thoroughly Adria is now on the radar, specifically the Adora 612DL Seine twin single beds 7'6" wide model.

Having looked at lots of pictures (never seen one in real life), it looks lovely, I think my only reservation with the layout would be whether it's easy to do the piles of washing up I seem to get with the way the kitchen is set out.

Also buying one doesn't seem to be the lottery it can be with a UK van!

Anyway, what I'd really like to know is how easy they are to tow? 8.25m seems scarily long (our current van is only 6.2m).  

Also do they have any other quirks compared to UK stuff?

We are heavy users of our on board facilities, is that shower lining up to the job?

And finally are there any stand out dealers or are they all similar? Our local one would be Barnsdale Leisure.

I'd be grateful for any insight.

Edit: Can I expect to achieve 90kg nose weight ok? 

Edited by banjokat, 04 September 2017 - 10:07 pm.

#2 BradleyWiggins

BradleyWiggins

ClassikFan

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Cycling
  • Towcar:Has a green oval
  • Caravan:Is Slovenian

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:26 am

Hi Banjokat

Had ours Adora Isonzo for 14 months now, I'll answer your questions as a fan of our caravan.

1.Having looked at lots of pictures (never seen one in real life), it looks lovely, I think my only reservation with the layout would be whether it's easy to do the piles of washing up I seem to get with the way the kitchen is set out.

​Drainer sits over 3 burner hob - plastic thing that unfortunately doesn't drain into the sink, we use our own plate rack on this and can fit a days washing up with no probs, but the hob is out of action while using the drainer.

2. Anyway, what I'd really like to know is how easy they are to tow? 8.25m seems scarily long (our current van is only 6.2m).  

Tows without any real issues, extra length needs a little more care when turning to avoid cutting corners. Ours is 8ft wide too and I was a little aprehensive but it is fine in reality. I use wide towing mirrors and know if I'm going in a straight line the van will get through a gap if the mirrors do!

3. Also do they have any other quirks compared to UK stuff? 

If you call not leaking a quirk over UK vans then yes! Build quality very good, only issue with ours was a soft close draw that was a bit reluctant to close the last half inch. Soon fixed at 1st service.

4. We are heavy users of our on board facilities, is that shower lining up to the job?

Shower lining seems fine. UK reviewers make a lot of this but as long as the panel seals are good then there is no cause for concern. There is a decent seam of silicone between all the panels but I will keep an eye on it and get it renewed if it ever appears to deteriorate over time.

5. And finally are there any stand out dealers or are they all similar? Our local one would be Barnsdale Leisure.

Venture caravans of Hitchin have been superb for us so far but probably too far for you?

I'd be grateful for any insight.

6. Can I expect to achieve 90kg nose weight ok? 

I can get 100kg fairly easily with 6 &13kg gas bottles in the front.

Hope this helps, after a poor experience with faults and poor design on an Elddis we love our Isonzo. Smallish kitchen worktop is a slight compromise we can work around.

Stuart

PS and they look good too IMO and the super tough outer side walls will be very hard wearing & dent free.

Edited by BradleyWiggins, 05 September 2017 - 06:28 am.

• banjokat likes this

#3 Borussia 1900

Borussia 1900

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning
    Cycling
    Borussia Monchengladbach
  • Towcar:2015 Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun)
  • Caravan:2016 Tabbert Pucinni 560 2.5e

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:38 am

Hi Banjokat,

I may be biased (cause I've got one) but I think very few on this Forum would argue that continental built caravans (be they German, Slovakian or whatever) are of a superior quality to those from UK manufacturers. A friend of mine has an ADRIA (I can't remember which model), it's about 10 years old now and as far as I'm aware he has never had any problems with it.

My Tabbert is 2.5m wide (I don't know what that is in old money) and its shipping length is well over 8m, it also has 2 very comfortable fixed single beds. It sits on an ALKO chassis with a single Euro Delta Axle, has a Stabiliser Coupling and ATC, it tows like a dream, is extremely stable both in high cross winds (South of France) and poor road surfaces (UK). I have towed it all over Europe including the UK (Dover - Yorkshire - Brighton - Dover) and the sometimes narrow UK country roads were fine.

The XC 60 is probably a bit lighter than my Shogun but I don't think you'll have any problems towing a large caravan with it (I'm presuming you're a experienced and confident tow car driver).

We opted not to have a shower in ours (most continental caravans not bound for the UK don't have one as standard) but I can't imagine they would fit sub-standard shower cubicals.

Ours has an empty weight of 1540 Kg and a max weight of 2000 Kg so a huge user payload (this is normal for continental vans) and we have an in-built fresh water tank which sits right at the back which I need to keep full whilst towing to achieve a 100 Kg noseweight, I do however have 2 bikes mounted on the 'longer than UK vans' 'A' Frame and 2 large gas bottles and a BBQ in the huge front locker, if I removed these 90 Kg noseweight would easily be achievable.

• banjokat likes this

#4 banjokat

banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:39 am

Thanks both for the detailed replies. Must admit I like the idea of a decent payload (with a plate upgrade). Stuart, I've been reading your posts about yours with interest, I agree they look great in silver, as a bonus I think next years narrower ones are silver too, which means SWMBO will be happy!

#5 BradleyWiggins

BradleyWiggins

ClassikFan

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Cycling
  • Towcar:Has a green oval
  • Caravan:Is Slovenian

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:44 am

Other points worth considering are that the front locker is huge so there is the temptation to fill it with lots of heavy stuff! 13kg gas cylinders offer great value for money!

Adria vans aren't over endowed with electrical sockets but we specced a couple of dealer fit sockets which solves the issue.

Although there is a TV bracket and aerial sockets you do need to have an actual aerial fitted.

We upgraded the Truma external pump to the Whale equivalent and find it much quieter.

Insulation is excellent and we often find we are too hot!

Decor is quite laid back but lends itself to individual customisation with brighter cushions and throws etc .

Our dealer appeared to have a limited number of vans arriving in stock so there was no pressure to buy. They showed us the van gave us a reasonable price for old one as P/Ex and then it was up us to make a decision. No hard sell or deal closing tactics required. I like that when I make a sizeable purchase.

• banjokat likes this

#6 Borussia 1900

Borussia 1900

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
    Cycling
    Borussia Monchengladbach

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:58 am

Not sure if the Adria comes with them or not but if not specify additional external access hatches under both beds, makes life much easier, all my camping furniture can be stored from the outside without the need to carry it through the caravan and risk damaging the interior.

If you're having a mover and/or leisure battery fitted get them to install it behind the axle if you're worried about noseweight.

• banjokat likes this

#7 banjokat

banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:13 pm

Other points worth considering are that the front locker is huge so there is the temptation to fill it with lots of heavy stuff! 13kg gas cylinders offer great value for money!

Adria vans aren't over endowed with electrical sockets but we specced a couple of dealer fit sockets which solves the issue.

Although there is a TV bracket and aerial sockets you do need to have an actual aerial fitted.

We upgraded the Truma external pump to the Whale equivalent and find it much quieter.

Insulation is excellent and we often find we are too hot!

Decor is quite laid back but lends itself to individual customisation with brighter cushions and throws etc .

Our dealer appeared to have a limited number of vans arriving in stock so there was no pressure to buy. They showed us the van gave us a reasonable price for old one as P/Ex and then it was up us to make a decision. No hard sell or deal closing tactics required. I like that when I make a sizeable purchase.

That's exactly the kind of owner experience and advice I need. Thanks again  :Thankyou:

Not sure if the Adria comes with them or not but if not specify additional external access hatches under both beds, makes life much easier, all my camping furniture can be stored from the outside without the need to carry it through the caravan and risk damaging the interior.

If you're having a mover and/or leisure battery fitted get them to install it behind the axle if you're worried about noseweight.

Thanks Borussia, I think they have at least one hatch, not sure they'd allow you to specify more! It sounds like nose weight should be no problem as we usually only travel with a 6kg gas and aquarolls in front locker.  Cheers

#8 Borussia 1900

Borussia 1900

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
    Cycling
    Borussia Monchengladbach

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:22 pm

Thanks Borussia, I think they have at least one hatch, not sure they'd allow you to specify more! It sounds like nose weight should be no problem as we usually only travel with a 6kg gas and aquarolls in front locker.  Cheers

Mine only came with one, I told the dealer I wanted one on both sides, it was no problem they did it for me, cheap to do and I'm glad I had it done.

#9 Swanny2016

Swanny2016

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts
  • Towcar:Landrover Discovery
  • Caravan:Adria Adora

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:05 am

We bought off Barnsdales and took delivery of our Adora Isonzo earlier this year. They were very good to deal with and we had no issues. We had an additional double socket fitted by the seating area , TV arial and solar panel thy were the only negatives we could find we when we were looking at them to buy.

I am quite tall and its the first van I don't have issues with the bed. The extra width makes such a huge difference internally but really don't notice it towing. 

I did have ATC fitted as I was wary of the length, it paid for itself when I was cut up on the M20 causing a snake when I had to brake hard and stopped it before I had chance to react. I'm on my second trip to France and have had no issues with all the towing since I bought it. I've had two coachman before this and its all personal preferences but to me its a better caravan.

Edited by Swanny2016, 11 September 2017 - 08:11 am.

• banjokat likes this

#10 Jiffy176

Jiffy176

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
  • Towcar:Ssangyong Korando Sports EX Auto
  • Caravan:2014 Adria Sportline DK

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:36 am

We've had a Sportline version of the Altea for 3 years now with 2 kids intent on destruction.
I've had a few issues but mainly with 3rd party equipment.
Main issue I've had was a battery box leaking. Beware folks the battery boxes are two piece, our seal gave way and allowed water past, this ran in between the inner and outer box.
It's a poor design in my opinion because if the door doesn't seal properly water can run straight into the panel. That then caused slight expansion which pushed the battery box out and broke the seal, this would then let a small amount of water past when raining.
It transpired that the box wasn't sealed that well and the dealer removed and resealed so hopefully no more issues.
The dealer and my AWS both report no damp.
The other issue I have had is where the kids sleep at the rear, the glue on the rear board has reacted with the condensation at the edges and it has pinked slightly. It's a but unsightly but I made the decision as we will be keeping the van for sometime that I didn't want everything stripped out and not go back together just as well.

Again this has been damp tested and nothing present. I'm satisfied it was caused by condensation as when I first used it I never vented the back end very well and where the cupboards are there is no pinking as the cupboard has obviously stopped the condensation getting to the board so much. I now make sure I give the van a good vent when we use it during chilly months.

Last service AWS had to check his damp meter as he thought it wasn't working, whole van was less than 4%.

Build quality good, fitted kit is the same as here, so Thetford, Dometic etc. I've never had ATC and don't really feel the need, my nose weight is high to have to counter balance but the longer A frame is brilliant, I don't get why others don't use it in the UK. It tows fine.

What I have found is getting parts is hit and miss and very slow.
  • banjokat likes this

#11 baddon

baddon

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:trikes, jetski
  • Towcar:Ford Ranger pickup
  • Caravan:Adria Adora 612DT

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:36 pm

We are on our second Adria, as long as they have a layout to suit cant see me in a UK van again. And as I built a shed for the Adria the rest of the European vans with the door on the driver side will not suit the shed.. ... .

Our 2009 Altea was well used and and really good order. No issues.

Our 2012 Adora is brill. ONLY really pain (and it was easily sorted with a few members on here help) was the soil pipes come out and foul the body trim that hides them. I added some plastic outlets and a 2 into 1 using a couple of 90 degree bends and now I only have a single outlet that is a doddle to fit into the waste-master.

They are well built and engineered vans, tow well and stay warm with good all round ventilation (use it and you should never have issues with damp as the false backs in ALL furniture means no cold spots or stagnant air.

As you can tell from all above from me and others who have an Adria or other non UK van once you have one you will likley not have anything else UNLESS SWMBO has other ideas. 

I do know a local to me who had to change as his wife did not like the bed.. ..he was gutted to part with his Adora, his was the 612 4 berth with 2 singles and end bathroom.

• banjokat likes this

#12 banjokat

banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:15 pm

We bought off Barnsdales and took delivery of our Adora Isonzo earlier this year. They were very good to deal with and we had no issues. We had an additional double socket fitted by the seating area , TV arial and solar panel thy were the only negatives we could find we when we were looking at them to buy.

I am quite tall and its the first van I don't have issues with the bed. The extra width makes such a huge difference internally but really don't notice it towing. 

I did have ATC fitted as I was wary of the length, it paid for itself when I was cut up on the M20 causing a snake when I had to brake hard and stopped it before I had chance to react. I'm on my second trip to France and have had no issues with all the towing since I bought it. I've had two coachman before this and its all personal preferences but to me its a better caravan.

Thanks for that Swanny, have to say I'd probably add ATC as well, doing a bit of research it seems like it would pay for itself after a few years just from the insurance discounts.

#13 banjokat

banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:30 pm

We are on our second Adria, as long as they have a layout to suit cant see me in a UK van again. And as I built a shed for the Adria the rest of the European vans with the door on the driver side will not suit the shed.. .. . .

Our 2009 Altea was well used and and really good order. No issues.

Our 2012 Adora is brill. ONLY really pain (and it was easily sorted with a few members on here help) was the soil pipes come out and foul the body trim that hides them. I added some plastic outlets and a 2 into 1 using a couple of 90 degree bends and now I only have a single outlet that is a doddle to fit into the waste-master.

They are well built and engineered vans, tow well and stay warm with good all round ventilation (use it and you should never have issues with damp as the false backs in ALL furniture means no cold spots or stagnant air.

As you can tell from all above from me and others who have an Adria or other non UK van once you have one you will likley not have anything else UNLESS SWMBO has other ideas. 

I do know a local to me who had to change as his wife did not like the bed.. ..he was gutted to part with his Adora, his was the 612 4 berth with 2 singles and end bathroom.

Thanks for this baddon, I like the waste pipe mod idea, quite happy to tinker with bits of it if the basic quality is good. If we buy a new van we want it to be a keeper. It's the twin singles version we're looking at, although the kids would get those and we'd be in the front (until SWMBO and I become too uncool to holiday with anyway!). Which brings me to another good point of these vans - no centre chest, we can't bear the UK makers obsession with fitting these as in this layout van it means the front double bed becomes too small. Is it just us??

#14 svimes

svimes

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Towcar:BMW 520D
  • Caravan:Sprite Major

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:23 am

Thanks for this baddon, I like the waste pipe mod idea, quite happy to tinker with bits of it if the basic quality is good. If we buy a new van we want it to be a keeper. It's the twin singles version we're looking at, although the kids would get those and we'd be in the front (until SWMBO and I become too uncool to holiday with anyway!). Which brings me to another good point of these vans - no centre chest, we can't bear the UK makers obsession with fitting these as in this layout van it means the front double bed becomes too small. Is it just us??

I suspect you are in a fairly small minority as you use the layout as a four berth, most being sold as predominantly 2_ berth.

I must say the fixed single layout (As a two berth) is a bit of a mystery to me. Why not just buy a two berth with long benches up front.

Anyway,there was a review of the van you want in the C&CC mag this month. Looks lovely. I really like the Adria hob which gives space in front for working.

Edited by svimes, 12 September 2017 - 06:32 am.

• banjokat likes this

#15 banjokat

banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:30 am

Cheers, my mum's a member of C&CC so I'll read her copy.

#16 Borussia 1900

Borussia 1900

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
    Cycling
    Borussia Monchengladbach

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:35 am

Just out of interest, how much Adria sell their vans for in UK?

Here's what they go for here (expect to haggle off at least another 10%)

https://www.3h-campi...-wohnwagen.html

#17 fred

fred

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Towcar:Toyota Landcrusier
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 590GL

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:09 am

Borussia. Does that price include vat?

It is also possible that the German spec vans have less extra eg an oven for example whether an oven is neccessary is another question but it will have a cost.

#18 Borussia 1900

Borussia 1900

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
    Cycling
    Borussia Monchengladbach

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:27 am

Yes, it includes Mehrwersteuer (VAT), delivery and (if you live here) registration.

Yes, ovens aren't standard over here but they're not mega expensive to have fitted as an extra.

https://suchen.mobil...Id=MH&usage=NEW

Plenty to compare the Meercat with there

#19 Jiffy176

Jiffy176

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
  • Towcar:Ssangyong Korando Sports EX Auto
  • Caravan:2014 Adria Sportline DK

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:09 am

My oven is so pants that we don't use it that often and could make do without.
I'd jump at buying a euro van, the only thing that put me off was having to go across the channel to get warranty work done
I'm sure I read somewhere that warranties might be an issue here.
Shane as there are some fantastic euro built vans.

#20 Borussia 1900

Borussia 1900

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
    Cycling
    Borussia Monchengladbach

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:34 am

My oven is so pants that we don't use it that often and could make do without.
I'd jump at buying a euro van, the only thing that put me off was having to go across the channel to get warranty work done
I'm sure I read somewhere that warranties might be an issue here.
Shane as there are some fantastic euro built vans.

When I was a Squaddie (many moons ago), I used to buy UK RHD Tax Free cars. Any warranty work required (regardless of manufacturer) was carried out by my local dealer here in Germany as all the warranties were pan-European, I never had any dramas getting work done, even though I hadn't bought the vehicle locally. I even got the Mehrwertsteuer (VAT) off the price of servicing. I don't see why caravans would be any different as long as there is a network of UK dealers. I might struggle with my Tabbert in UK as I don't think they are sold there but Adria, Hobby etc do so I can't see it being too much of a drama.

In fact I know it isn't a drama with cars because we once visited the UK in a German registered VW and the engine warning light came on. I took it to Hayseldens VW in Barnsley and they sorted it under warranty. No problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users