#81 ice

ice

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Caravan:2015 VIP 575

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:45 pm

What's with this floating roof (Single sheet of alloy) I thought Coachman roofs would be fully bonded by now.

Some info here. http://www.caravanta...-coachman-roof/

#82 stevew1

stevew1

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:walking, biking. motorsports, music, technology, travel

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:33 pm

Just read the current " test " of the VIP575 in the Caravan magazine in Tesco , not one mention of the weight increase just a glowing report of the new fabrics & interior mods & a meaningless tow up & down the drive at the launch venue , sorry Tesco didn't buy the mag.
  • Silverback likes this

#83 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:"Happy Camping"

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:16 pm

Sorry posted my reply in your link . ..

Thanks for the info, not sure I like this construction at all and definitely do not like the sound of it rippling in the wind   :o

As previously mentioned I thought all later caravans were a fully bonded flat roof, especially when using a chemical bond to hold everything together.

Edited by Silverback, 20 September 2017 - 07:17 pm.

#84 banjokat

banjokat

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Towcar:XC60 D5 AWD
  • Caravan:Sterling Europa 460

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:43 am

Just read the current " test " of the VIP575 in the Caravan magazine in Tesco , not one mention of the weight increase just a glowing report of the new fabrics & interior mods & a meaningless tow up & down the drive at the launch venue , sorry Tesco didn't buy the mag.

And why should you buy it when the magazines are too scared of losing advertising revenue to ever say anything critical!

• stevew1 likes this

#85 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Digital photography, Walking.
  • Towcar:2016 Ford Kuga 2.0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.
  • Caravan:2016 Coachman VIP 565.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:41 pm

Hi guys, Well just got back home from the Coachman Factory Tour.
First may I say my comments refer to the V.I.P. Rangeeven though some details are the same for others.
Starting with the roof, gone are the cant rails and instead a dark coloured hump which is quite attractive and will probably be easier to clean the roof. The floating roof still stays and speaking to the technical man, will continue to stay. The roof consists of a sheet of interior ply/styrofoam/exterior ply bonded sandwich which when fitted then has a full size roll of aluminium sheet overlaid, then the appropriate holes cut out for skylight etc then skylights added. Because the room is temperature controlled this means that whenever it becomes warmer, you will get the ripple effect, when it is cooler, you won't , this stops problems that other have had with complete bonded roofs.
The front has been redesigned with two side lockers with the middle now being used for the drawer unit which actually gives more room up the front dinette area, but no room for putting long lengths in the front as we used to do.
The back has a flatter design with more strengtheners and looks really good.
A useful U.S.B. Charge point has been added but in the bathroom there is now a tap that sticks out of the wall so those of us who caught their head on the little shelf above the sink can now look forward to doing the same with this non swing out of the wayable tap.
Talking to Elliot Hibbs he did say that V.I.P. Owners would generally prefer a good solid caravan rather than one that had gone for weight reduction so there has been slight increase of around 40kgs but that has been because of the front locker redesign, extra strengtheners where needed, and slight increase in foam cushions.
I was most impressed with the thought that most of the workers there are second and sometimes third generation men who really care about their jobs and are passionate about what they do.
Also Coachman are the only firm who take the van outside, plug into water, Gas, and electricity and set it all up as if it was being used by the customer. It's all checked after five days to see all is well then off it goes.
I liked Coachman before, I love them now.. ... ... .Peter
  • kiaboy, Glen and Les and standrewac like this

#86 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:00 am

I forgot to add the reason why the weights haven't yet been published.
As you can imagine with twenty one models to choose from and only one model being built at a time,it would be wrong to give anything but approximate weights at the present. For instance, my van, a VIP 565 was still on the production line and a finished one does not exist, however, going off the weights of the ones made, they can estimate the approximate weights.
Personally I would prefer to wait and see the final product in the flesh, what I have seen is worth waiting for.. ... ..Peter
  • kiaboy, Glen and Les, standrewac and 1 other like this

#87 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:33 am

Because the room is temperature controlled this means that whenever it becomes warmer, you will get the ripple effect, when it is cooler, you won't , this stops problems that other have had with complete bonded roofs.
. . . .. . . . .Peter

Thanks for the report . ..

What are the problems that other caravans have had with fully bonded roofs ?

Edited by Silverback, 24 September 2017 - 07:33 am.

#88 Glen and Les

Glen and Les

Enjoying Early Retirement!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Walking, Wildlife

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:34 am

A big thanks to Peter for his post relating to the factory tour. I would love to do this one day - I must join the club.

I like the look of the new VIP, but sadly won't be changing, having just got the new Pastiche this year.

Hope you had a great weekend Peter - and thank you for your comments.

Glen.
  • kiaboy likes this

#89 stevew1

stevew1

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:walking, biking. motorsports, music, technology, travel

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:10 am

Good review Peter , thanks for representing some of our views , did they mention the new cushion material? .

Cheers. Steve.

#90 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:54 am

The new material seems heavier so I guess they have upgraded the density, however it was said that if anyone has had problems, to get in touch with their dealer and Leisure Furnishings have apparently been very good with replacements.
We are not in the Coachman owners club, we asked Elliot Hibbs and he said no problem, just tag along.
Tour lasted about one hour then coffee and biscuits. Nice to see all the new vans outside all connected up to mains water, Calor gas and Electric, in various stages of their 5 day test, which we were told is only done by Coachman. No bull here because you could see them all hooked up.. ... .Peter
  • Glen and Les and stevew1 like this

#91 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:35 am

Thanks for the report . . .

What are the problems that other caravans have had with fully bonded roofs ?

Hi Silverback, In times of really hot sun, the heat can cause the outer skin to expand which then cause a permanent ripple. Also if you should ever suffer hailstone damage it's just a matter of taking off the outer skin instead of the whole roof, areal advantage I would have thought.
In our 14 months of ownership we have never had a noise from wind blowing over the roof anyway.. ...Peter

#92 kiaboy

kiaboy

Enjoying life in the slower "retired" lane

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Towcar:2013 Kia Sorento KX2
  • Caravan:2015 Coachman VIP 520/4

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:41 pm

Nice to see all the new vans outside all connected up to mains water, Calor gas and Electric, in various stages of their 5 day test, which we were told is only done by Coachman. No bull here because you could see them all hooked up.. .. . .Peter

We too thought this to be good, when we had our personal tour with Trevor Baxter a few years ago now, he took us in one going through the tests, boy it was hot (first of Alde heating), I also mentioned about damp in their vans I said I bet you are not happy when damp is found, he said definitely, as the crew are told never to scrimp on sealant on the joints, apparently for every 3 tubes used they throw away 1 tubes worth.

#93 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:53 pm

Hi Silverback, In times of really hot sun, the heat can cause the outer skin to expand which then cause a permanent ripple. Also if you should ever suffer hailstone damage it's just a matter of taking off the outer skin instead of the whole roof, areal advantage I would have thought.
In our 14 months of ownership we have never had a noise from wind blowing over the roof anyway.. .. .Peter

Thanks PJ for the info.. .

Not to sure even re-skinning a roof is that an easer job, I think the best solution for hailstone damage is to prevent it ;)

After weighting up the pros and cons and even though the new VIP is a very nice caravan, we've decided against,  this is after driving miles over two weekends looking at various caravans makes.  For us and I stress this is just our opinions, thoughts and needs, the VIP was coming in a little to heavy and not publishing the weights was still an unusual grey area . . Alloy exterior skin, after years of dents . .. The floating roof, even though its durability may equal fully bonded . .. Finally. there are no dealers at a reasonable distance from us, this after having had a few years of driving miles for warranty repairs. :blink:   

Best of luck and enjoy your purchase and keep us informed of your ownership experience, I'm sure it will be a happy one :)  

SB

#94 kiaboy

kiaboy

Enjoying life in the slower "retired" lane

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Towcar:2013 Kia Sorento KX2
  • Caravan:2015 Coachman VIP 520/4

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:24 pm

Not too sure what the negative issue is with a floating roof.

I have had both and do not see any difference in use, except when I had the skin replaced at Coachman due to hailstorm damage it was just the skin that was removed and replaced, but if it was bonded it would mean internal panels would need to be replaced to so more expensive

#95 mark68

mark68

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Towcar:Mercdes Benz Vito Sport X 122
  • Caravan:2017 Coachman Laser 620

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:53 pm

Some of the vans still have ozio, having had issues with ours, was one of the first things we looked at, believe the new stuff is made by Belfield according to the back of the brochure.

Mark

#96 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:27 pm

Not too sure what the negative issue is with a floating roof.

I have had both and do not see any difference in use, except when I had the skin replaced at Coachman due to hailstorm damage it was just the skin that was removed and replaced, but if it was bonded it would mean internal panels would need to be replaced to so more expensive

Like I said it my personal opinion.. . Our first new caravan 2005 had a skinned roof that when I polished it popped up and down all I needed was the dice ;). It's my understanding that fully bonded roofs add to the strength of the body shell and with a GRP roof should resist most regular hail storms.

Edited by Silverback, 24 September 2017 - 07:27 pm.

#97 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:04 pm

Some of the vans still have ozio, having had issues with ours, was one of the first things we looked at, believe the new stuff is made by Belfield according to the back of the brochure.Mark

Actually the back of the brochure shows Belfield and Leisure Furnishings, the van I looked in said Ozio so I really could not say. I certainly don't like the dirty mustard coloured piping and dirty mustard cushion that matches. Big thumbs down for the furnishing choice.. ... ..Peter

#98 mark68

mark68

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Towcar:Mercdes Benz Vito Sport X 122
  • Caravan:2017 Coachman Laser 620

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:43 pm

To be honest we and quite a few others liked the colour scheme, from what I remember the VIP had Ozio, Other models had the alternative furnishings, the alternative felt better than the Ozio, strange as the VIP is now the top of the range. I have only assumed Belfield is the alternative, as Leisure Furnishings and Belfield are the two furnishing suppliers stated.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users