Crusader Mistral Air Con

Has anyone had aircon fitted to the roof of a Mistral or othe Crusader

The internal roof trim seems an obstacle

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Has anyone had aircon fitted to the roof of a Mistral or othe Crusader

The internal roof trim seems an obstacle

What year Crusader? If a 2018, the roof trim needs to be changed at the factory at a cost of £200 and is done at time of ordering.

Thanks for the reply

It's 2017

Thanks for the reply

It's 2017

Same applies to the 2017. Very strange as Elddis market an air con for the caravan as an option but do not mention the additional £200 to change the surround to fit the new surround. BTW when the air con is fitted apparently there are two holes left either side of the air con which need to be covered up. I think they use a strip across the ceiling to do this.

Thanks for that

The dealer either didn't know or "say no more"

The air con can stay on the trade in and possibly I could fit an under bed unit for next summer

Do you know how the ceiling piece is fitted ?

There are no apparent screws

Do you know how the ceiling piece is fitted ?

There are no apparent screws

The new surround fits into the same screw holes as the old one but as it is shorter, tow screw holes are visible. They then use ceiling strips to hide the holes and they run from the side of the caravan to the air con surround and match up with the other ceiling strips. We are paying the £200 and transferring our Dometic air con across as it is just over 2 years old so still quite new.

Thanks

My Dometic is 7 years old so I am thinking leave it on the trade in and possibly fit an under bed unit later

It's been on 3 caravans already and grandsons are trained in removal and fitting!!

Thanks

My Dometic is 7 years old so I am thinking leave it on the trade in and possibly fit an under bed unit later

It's been on 3 caravans already and grandsons are trained in removal and fitting!!

The biggest issue with under bed is the ducting as no ducting on a caravan with an ALDE heating system. IMHO the cold air does not rise so cold feet and warm head. With an overhead unit, the cold air falls down cooling the warm air which then rises to recirculate and cool down further.

I doubt if you can transfer an under bed unit once it has been fitted and if you could, the ducting will need to remain and may affect the trade in value of the caravan.

The payload on that caravan is only 153kg so once you add on the air con(32kg) plus ducting(?kg) and also the motor mover (32kg) you are left with less than 90kg payload. We did look at this option a couple of caravans back, but then decided against it.

Hope this helps?

Thanks for the observations

We have asked for the weight update but the dealer didn't know how much increase that would give !

If the air con on the roof has to be factory fitted and our caravan is complete and at the dealer it would seem that the only option is under bed or to use a portable unit which we already have

The Dometic under bed unit is listed as 21 kg plus ducting but otherwise your points on distribution are ones we have considered but much appreciate your input

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

Thanks for the observations

We have asked for the weight update but the dealer didn't know how much increase that would give !

If the air con on the roof has to be factory fitted and our caravan is complete and at the dealer it would seem that the only option is under bed or to use a portable unit which we already have

The Dometic under bed unit is listed as 21 kg plus ducting but otherwise your points on distribution are ones we have considered but much appreciate your input

TBH I think you need to find another dealer if they do not know the answers as all the information is on the Elddis website. The Mistral cannot be upgraded as the maximum MTPM is 1550kg or maximum payload of 153kg minus the weight of the motor mover and air con. So very small payload after those are added on.

Download the brochures HERE for the full spec. Maybe the Storm is a better option if you want that layout?

Edited by Durbanite

Thanks

We have the brochure but it doesn't tell what the weight upgrade is just that it can be up or down graded FOC

The dealer has the van in stock and deposit is paid

Thanks

We have the brochure but it doesn't tell what the weight upgrade is just that it can be up or down graded FOC

The dealer has the van in stock and deposit is paid

The Mistral cannot be upgraded as per the brochure in the price list as per the link I gave you which is why I suggested the Storm.

Elddis-Tourers-Price-List-2018-1. pdf

Thank you for the information

The loading allowance for the Mistral is the same as our present Challenger 580 so will have to take care with loading

Thank you for the information

The loading allowance for the Mistral is the same as our present Challenger 580 so will have to take care with loading

Good luck John whatever you decide. :)

• 1 month later...

We received a recorded letter at the dealers with an upgraded weight plate that as expected was exactly the same as the one on the new van

!!

We received a recorded letter at the dealers with an upgraded weight plate that as expected was exactly the same as the one on the new van

!!

You kidding surely? :D Why did they bother?

You kidding surely? :D Why did they bother?

Jobsworth

Jobsworth

Are you still going to get the air con fitted? Have you consider purchasing a roof box to carry some of the stuff from the caravan in it?

• 4 months later...

Just thinking again about air con and wondering if anyone has had it fitted to the Mistral recently

Have you thought of acquiring a roof box for the car to carry caravan stuff in so that the caravan stays within the MTPLM?  We have done this even though our payload is a lot higher than yours.   I think a miserly 153kg payload for any caravan is too low.

• Like 1

We have room to spare in the X3 boot as we no longer take bikes 

The air awning chairs etc go in the car

Thanks for the reply

I enquired at NEC show today about fitting roof air con to the Mistral and the Elddis technical support person confirmed the unit would have to have a replacement interior roof trim at £200 and also said that it was not permissible to fit a roof mounting unless it was done to a factory reinforced roof

Glad that we had left the Dometic unit on the trade in!

• 10 months later...

Just revisited the Aircon  consideration and with Leisure Shop 10% New Year discount purchased the Truma Saphir Comfort and fitted it myself following Truma excellent instructions and template

It weighs 23kg so not much heavier than the portable unit we used last year

One high level outlet via the wardrobe and 2 low level ones from fixed bed base

Much quieter than the roof Dometic and has reduced fan speed sleep setting

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.