Satellite

Next week I am retuning to useing a satellite dish, which Astra satellite do I use?

Astra 2 - the first you get going south from the East. I think it is called Astra 2E

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Astra 2E/2F/2G located at 28. 2 °E

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

The satellites broadcasting English freesat, free to air (and encrypted) channels are located in orbit at 28 degrees east and include the satellites Astra 2A, Astra 2F, Astra 1N (soon to be joined by Astra 2G )‚ which are at exactly 28. 2 degrees East. 21 Apr 2017

• Like 1

Happy Days

However since the move a couple of years ago to the smaller footprint of Astra 2F UK signal coverage (with 60cm or 80cm dish) is quite severely restricted in Europe. Now consider half way down France as the limit of reception, a bit farther south on the eastern side, a bit less on the western side.

You will find a footprint map at www. lyngsat. com with a bit of digging.

People in Spain are having to use 1m dishes in some areas and 3m in others, i. e. totally impractical

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Setting up and aiming a satellite dish is not as simple as you might at first imagine, especially as you will have to do it at each new location.

Or do you plan to buy a fully automatic system and mount it on the roof?

We need to know a lot more if we are to be of help, for example, what do you mean by "re-tune for a sat dish"?

Are you aware that 28. 2 degrees East means "28. 2 degrees East of South?

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

However since the move a couple of years ago to the smaller footprint of Astra 2F UK signal coverage (with 60cm or 80cm dish) is quite severely restricted in Europe. Now consider half way down France as the limit of reception, a bit farther south on the eastern side, a bit less on the western side.

You will find a footprint map at www. lyngsat. com with a bit of digging.

People in Spain are having to use 1m dishes in some areas and 3m in others, i. e. totally impractical

But the advantage is that a smaller dish is now needed in the UK - it used to need a 60cm dish to get a decent signal in the far north of Scotland but that can be done now with a standard 40cm dish.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Astra 28. 2E is magnetic compass 145-148 degrees from the UK, depending on exact location - a bit south of south-south-east.

As you go south in Europe, that magnetic compass bearing will change.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

28. 2 South of East

Sorry Les but you’re wrong!

The Astra 2 satellite cluster is located above the Congo (on the equator) at compass bearing 151. 8˚ magnetic.

That is 28 2˚ East of South.

28. 2˚ South of East would be 118. 2˚ magnetic.

Take a good look at Joanie's link to "Robs Satellite TV" web site in post No. 4.

Here is a quote from it -

so to receive the satellites at 28 degrees east. You would point your dish south, then adjust it East by 28 degrees. Then all you have to do is the correct elevation.

Unquote.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc
  • Like 1

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

The Astra 2 satellite cluster is located above the Congo (on the equator) at compass bearing 151. 8˚ magnetic.

Take a good look at Joanie's link to "Robs Satellite" web site in post No. 4.

so to receive the satellites at 28 degrees east. You would point your dish south, then adjust it East by 28 degrees. Then all you have to do is the correct elevation.

Unquote.

Vin Blanc

The 28. 2E degrees is the degrees of longitude from the Greenwich Meridian.

The compass bearing depends where in the world you are. If you were anywhere on the Equator, it would be 90 E or 270W.

Setting up and aiming a satellite dish is not as simple as you might at first imagine, especially as you will have to do it at each new location.

Or do you plan to buy a fully automatic system and mount it on the roof?

We need to know a lot more if we are to be of help, for example, what do you mean by "re-tune for a sat dish"?

Are you aware that 28. 2 degrees East means "28. 2 degrees East of South?

Vin Blanc

I think that was a typo Vin - the text suggests he meant returning and missed out the R!

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I think that was a typo Vin - the text suggests he meant returning and missed out the R!

Having now re-read it, I'm sure you're right! - Thanks.

Vin Blanc

when the OH sets his sat dish up he puts it at 158' on a compass. He's had 3 sat systems and finders over the last 10 years and now has the maxview which is so easy and it has everything you need on it. We have the twin LNB with a Humax box

http://www. maxview. co. uk/precision-portable-satellite-system

Happy Days

when the OH sets his sat dish up he puts it at 158' on a compass. He's had 3 sat systems and finders over the last 10 years and now has the maxview which is so easy and it has everything you need on it. We have the twin LNB with a Humax box

http://www. maxview. co. uk/precision-portable-satellite-system

I use the bearing given by http://www. dishpointer. com/ typically 145 degrees magnetic in the UK - set the dish elevation and as long as the dish pole is true vertical, usually get it first time - just have to adjust to get the highest dB reading on a cheap sat meter.

Where does 158 come into it.

Edited by Black Grouse

sorry, my error, it's 152' . That's 360 ' half that to get 180 so that it points south then go east 28' which is 152' on the compass.

Happy Days

When I use a satellite dish, which is very rare as the digital TV reception seems to be excellent wherever we go, I point a compass (on the ground) at 146 Degrees magnetic and place a straight edge along that bearing. Next its a simple matter of setting up the dish so that the arm points along the line. It then only takes seconds to find the satellite. As I said though haven't used a sat. for some time.

• Like 1

Take a good look at Joanie's link to "Robs Satellite TV" web site in post No. 4.

Unquote.

Vin Blanc

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH, you are correct and that is what I meant to say, sorry, as I did not wish to mislead anyone :mellow:

Les

sorry, my error, it's 152' . That's 360 ' half that to get 180 so that it points south then go east 28' which is 152' on the compass.

That's not how you do it - the 28. 2E degrees is the line of longitude where it crosses the equator - not the bearing from wherever you are as that varies, getting smaller as you go south.

Although I guess 152 gets near enough to fiddle with.

Edited by Black Grouse

Several years ago I wrote an article for beginners to satellite describing how I aimed my dish at the Astra 2 satellite cluster for Sky and Freesat reception using a cheap Sat Finder.

I no longer mess about with Satellite finders. Using Dishpointer. com and my own couple of homemade gismo’s I can aim my dish accurately to within 1˚ without even having to switch on the TV.

The original article still exists and is easily accessible. Simply Google - “The art of aiming a satellite dish”.

Vin Blanc

I find that simply taking a bearing of 140 and from there edging a few degrees towards the south is a practical easy remembered "rule".

Doing that then the first real activity a basic satellite finder starts "yelling" at is going to be the one you need, and if you move more than 10 degrees then you have missed it, reset the elevation.

I use a map I marked up with elevation cross lines to know the elevation to use.

A smart phone free app Free Point UK gives the info needed and sets it against an aerial or map view.

We had a mitre dish for use in Spain but we let it go when it came came difficult to use in Spain. Lately we have been on Cls with bad tv reception, we purchased a unused Maxview Omnisat 54cm we already have a easyfind LNB. When sitting up we have always used a app called Dish Align hopefully it will go well, we collecting it next Wednesday.