Noseweight On The 866

Hi,

We have the Compass Casita 866 and we are having real issues getting the noseweight right. Our front locker contains only the gas bottle and toilet liquids. Our front seat lockers only have bedding and the tv. We really are struggling to get it under 100kg without putting weight at the back which I am reluctant to do.

How do you all load yours?

Putting 'some' weight behind the rear axle/s isc safer than having too heavy noseweight, just don't overdo it. Remember when you remove weight from front and add to the back, or vice versa, it effectively doubles, so you shouldn't have to move much.

Also check your noseweight gauge. I had an 'inherited' red plastic job and replaced it with a Milenco BS approved gauge and it showed the red one was substantially over reading, presumably because the spring tension had weakened over the years.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Its an 1800Kg van. Are you towing it with something that can only take 100kg on the tow bar? Or is it an Alko chassis issue, I can't see that data immediately.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

The method of measuring the nose weight is important as well as the accuracy of the gauge. What I do is make sure the angle of the caravan is exactly the same as when hitched to the car using a spirit level packed up with a beer mat in the doorway.

Ern

Someone posted a few weeks ago "welcome to the world of empty lockers"!

In our Delta, we have very, very little and only light weight items, stored forward of the axles. Everything heavy is under the bed.

When we tow, we move tins and other heavy items from the kitchen to the bathroom. And, try to have the loo 1/4 to 1/2 full.

Someone posted a few weeks ago "welcome to the world of empty lockers"!

That was me! You travel with water in your loo? Luxury!

The OP's 866 weighs about the same as our previous Caravel which we towed at 110-120kg. Hence I asked him why he was trying to get below 100. This would have been hard for us without excessive rear counterbalancing and I think would gave taken us into unstable towing even using the D4.

Totally agree with Ern, get it dead flat with the tow ball centre matching the hitch centre height.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

Putting 'some' weight behind the rear axle/s isc safer than having too heavy noseweight, just don't overdo it. Remember when you remove weight from front and add to the back, or vice versa, it effectively doubles, so you shouldn't have to move much.

Not trying to be argumentative, just interested - what makes excess noseweight unsafe? Will the chassis break or the tow hitch? How much latitude do manufacturers build in to keep things within an acceptable tolerance?

formerly ClassikFan

Not trying to be argumentative, just interested - what makes excess noseweight unsafe? Will the chassis break or the tow hitch? How much latitude do manufacturers build in to keep things within an acceptable tolerance?

Well exceeding any manufacturers limit has got to be risky, they don't just dream them up for no reason.

Too much worrying about loading behind the axle can be just as bad as vice versa. The problems come when lots of extra weight is put right at the back of a van. If you're sensible and restoring the recommended noseweight by adjusting some weight rearwards there'll be no issue. Having too light a noseweight AND rear loading causes problems. Correct noseweight and some stuff behind the axle won't.

Well exceeding any manufacturers limit has got to be risky, they don't just dream them up for no reason.

Too much worrying about loading behind the axle can be just as bad as vice versa. The problems come when lots of extra weight is put right at the back of a van. If you're sensible and restoring the recommended noseweight by adjusting some weight rearwards there'll be no issue. Having too light a noseweight AND rear loading causes problems. Correct noseweight and some stuff behind the axle won't.

Agreed re the risk, but the max force (when the caravan "pitches" over a bump in the road) must be less with a twin axle than a single.

Agreed re the risk, but the max force (when the caravan "pitches" over a bump in the road) must be less with a twin axle than a single.

You'd think so, but it may be one of those things that, in reality, doesn't behave the way we expect. As a for instance, in ten years towing single axle vans I've never been aware of a pitching motion from the van, though I've seen the odd T/A on the motorway pitching quite alarmingly. Presumably all down to inappropriate loading.

You'd think so, but it may be one of those things that, in reality, doesn't behave the way we expect. As a for instance, in ten years towing single axle vans I've never been aware of a pitching motion from the van, though I've seen the odd T/A on the motorway pitching quite alarmingly. Presumably all down to inappropriate loading.

Well, my experience is quite the reverse of yours SDA. It's single axles I've noticed as occasionally pitching and far more often weaving when being overtaken.

• Like 1

Well, my experience is quite the reverse of yours SDA. It's single axles I've noticed as occasionally pitching and far more often weaving when being overtaken.

I think you may have read into my post somethings I didn't say GB.

I mentioned my own experience with single axles pitching. I didn't mention what I'd seen other people's single axles doing, nor did I mention vans yawing at all. I only said 'I've seen the odd T/A pitching'.

I think you may have read into my post somethings I didn't say GB.

I mentioned my own experience with single axles pitching. I didn't mention what I'd seen other people's single axles doing, nor did I mention vans yawing at all. I only said 'I've seen the odd T/A pitching'.

Ok, lost in translation or something. Your SA never pitched but you saw a few TAs doing so then. I apologise if I have misrepresented your post.

Like I said, I've often noticed instability in SAs (probably badly loaded or set up) but none on TAs (which are of course comparatively fewer on the road) and much less likely to weave because of the four wheel contact.

I guess I am biased but I have owned 2 SAs and laterly 3 TAs and I much prefer the latter as a towing platform particularly as you could burst a tyre and still remain stable till you can get off. Personal preference I guess.

The OP has an 1800kg TA and I was interested in why he was trying to get the noseweight down below 100kg when all the TAs I have had have returned noseweights above this and (as extensively covered elsewhere) tow better with 100+kg.

We have yet to hear back from him as to the motive for his enquiry.

That was me! You travel with water in your loo? Luxury!

The OP's 866 weighs about the same as our previous Caravel which we towed at 110-120kg. Hence I asked him why he was trying to get below 100. This would have been hard for us without excessive rear counterbalancing and I think would gave taken us into unstable towing even using the D4.

Totally agree with Ern, get it dead flat with the tow ball centre matching the hitch centre height.

Max hitch weight on Alko is 100KG

• Like 1

This is the reason behind not moving the gas bottles over the wheels on the new cruiser.(even tho they made the hole and put a door in the kitchen area externally)they found that by moving the gas bottle, would make more room in the front locker therefore tempting folk to put more in there.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

I never really got the point of Bailey's not having a front locker until now!!!!!

Hi,

We have the Compass Casita 866 and we are having real issues getting the noseweight right. Our front locker contains only the gas bottle and toilet liquids. Our front seat lockers only have bedding and the tv. We really are struggling to get it under 100kg without putting weight at the back which I am reluctant to do.

How do you all load yours?

On the nearside of the caravan probably by the door is a sticker with all the weights on it. What figure does it have for nose weight? Using the 7% of MTPLM guideline the nose weight should be about 120kg but I think the ALKO hitch limits you to about 100kg.

• 1 month later...

bit of a thread resurrection - we have an 866 and do have to limit the mass in the front locker and counter balance the weight at the back (e. g. awning). that said, we now now the routine. ........

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.