Avtex Aerial ..... Again!

Got the absolutely useless Elddis Avtex stick aerial fitted. At a site this weekend, completely no reception. Tried the Avtex 3000, which I have not had much luck with, and hey presto!. . .. . ..96 channels, all perfect! I bet it won't work in that position again. :(

post-52060-0-52020300-1500897656_thumb.jpg

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

My stick is best aerial I have ever had. strange isn't it!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Yours must be the caravan they practised on to get it right, Geoff! :D

• Like 1

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

My stick is best aerial I have ever had. strange isn't it!

geoff

and me Geoff, if I change the van I'll want it fitted on the replacement, I was at CC Site at Tredegar House last week and got just over 200 Channels, I did not know that so many were available, and the ones I tried all had great reception.

I think you and I are the only members of The Avtex Stick Aerial Appreciation Club

Yours must be the caravan they practised on to get it right, Geoff! :D

No, it was mine ;)

• Like 1

Les

Don't let Elddis know! They'll be after the secret of good reception! :D

I was at CC Site at Tredegar House last week and got just over 200 Channels,

Clear line of sight to both Wenvoe (Welsh TV variants) and Mendip (English variants) with an aerial at 3 metres above the ground, according to Wolfbane, with good signal levels. The official prediction is excellent, too: http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/NP10+8TW/caravan/0/vecrm6cklo9gsqvjv0plknp9c7

It must be one of the easier sites for TV reception in the UK.

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Clear line of sight to both Wenvoe (Welsh TV variants) and Mendip (English variants) with an aerial at 3 metres above the ground, according to Wolfbane, with good signal levels. The official prediction is excellent, too: http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/NP10+8TW/caravan/0/vecrm6cklo9gsqvjv0plknp9c7

It must be one of the easier sites for TV reception in the UK.

I have been on many other sites that are known for poor reception with with our Status Directional Aerial and the Avtex wins hands down, there are many people who moan and groan about Avtex but it seems me and Shipbroker are well satisfied

Les

Indeed in Scottish Borders earlier this year we were one of the few with decent signals.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Got the absolutely useless Elddis Avtex stick aerial fitted. At a site this weekend, completely no reception. Tried the Avtex 3000, which I have not had much luck with, and hey presto!. . .. . ..96 channels, all perfect! I bet it won't work in that position again. :(

attachicon.gifDSCF4363. JPG

Graham

We have an Avtex STH 2000 which we use when we can't get a satellite picture. I must admit I have never tried to put it in the same position as you, perhaps I am missing out!!! Generally I find it pretty good although I once had to change positions to get either ITV or BBC.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Niro HEV  for home.

Caravan Travels

I have been on many other sites that are known for poor reception with with our Status Directional Aerial and the Avtex wins hands down, there are many people who moan and groan about Avtex but it seems me and Shipbroker are well satisfied

Good for you two exceptions to the many moaners on here about them (I note they are not being installed by the caravan makers any more and a directional antenna - not from Status - is used now).

I also take with a very large pinch of salt all the 'known for poor reception' statements on every forum I use (not just this caravanning one) - unless supported by name of place / site that I can research or already know what reception there is like. Some caravanners seem to have no idea how to use an aerial or their TV manual tuning and signal meters to align their aerial accurately, so don't get the best out of the system they have. (Omnidirectional aerial design gives such users either a result or nothing, via auto-tune of course. Same as the flying saucers did.).

Example: CC Notgrove site is "poor TV, booster system available" -http://www. digitaluk. co. uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/GL54+3BU/caravan/0/jkoc8ogpagv90puoqba522man6 Actually, my Status 530 gave me excellent reception from Hannington (wrong local news and weather, though) and that appeared to be the one the booster system uses to pipe to the bollards. It even pulled in the Reading local TV mux, albeit with some breakup (1kW erp cf 50kW/25kW for the mains).

I do concede that, as it was my paid job for many years, I do have more TV reception skills than most.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Les / Geoff. .. I have a little challenge for you :-). If you either of you ever plan to visit the area near Stroud then stay at Apple Tree Park (http://www. appletreepark. co. uk/camping. html) and see what reception you get.

It was at this site that Elddis engineers visited me (twice). They refitted both versions of the Avtex antenna themselves and tested all of the wiring etc. We then used a professional signal meter to compare the performance of the Avtex antenna compared to the Avtex STH3000 and a status directional on the pitch next door (on my father-in-law's Bailey). The Avtex whip antenna struggled to get 18 channels with constant pixelation. The STH3000 was better but the status directional picked up over 100 channels with a perfect picture.

I am pretty sure the whole site is the same as another Elddis owner came over to speak to us whilst we were there, he was pitched at the opposite end of the site with the same problems.

Mark.

• Like 1

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

I have suffered the infamous Avtex stick aerial for 2 years now the best way to describe it is rubbish. Yes it does work BUT only if you are very close to a transmitter mast. For example I live in Norfolk my house is within eyesight of the main Tacolneston transmitter of course the stick works but then so would a piece of wire stuck in the TV socket. Move south of Norwich to Strumpshaw probably 12 miles as the crow flies from the same mast ok it tunes in around 80 or so channels at times you might get 10 ok but try an hour later and all will pixcel or produce a blank screen and the retune message on my Avtex TV, Hunstanton, Norfolk a directional status will get reception from a local relay plus Belmont the other side of the wash. Good old stick finds a few channels and pixcels all the time. I could go on but its pointless my previous status aerial on the Coachman Amara worked fine on all places I have mentioned the stick is useless unless close to a transmitter.

It is not fit for purpose but it does work in close proximity to a transmitting mast. I have basically given up with and take my satellite dish with me most of the time unless I know the stick will work or the site has a booster syetem.

Edited by David55

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554