Renewal Time, Looking At Quotes

Ian McH

Having just had my renewal through from the CC sorry CMC It's always best to have a bit of a shop around for the same cover and Xcess at other insurers.

Having looked at CCC, Caravanguard, Frank Pickles, Towergate, Lifesure, Coast Insiurance.

Coast premium is less than half the CMC renewal !!!!

Coast Insurance is a trading name of Park Home Insurance underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ltd.

It is New for Old up to 20 years old the same for the awning, European cover for 180 days, Loss of use, Recovery and Delivery expenses, Public Liability etc.

I cannot think of a reason as to why not to change to 'Coast' especially as it is underwritten by Aviva.

Anyone had any experience ?

• Like 1

Go for it speedy. Only by changing will the CMC get wise and reduce premiums. We changed a few years ago and have probably saved £400.

• Like 2

Don't know how CMC keep going with their insurance! I get quotes from them every couple of years just to make sure I'm not paying over the odds with Clubcare at C&CC, and they are consistently over £100 more for exactly the same cover.

John

• Like 1

I went with Frank Pickles which was half the price of Coast! All you can do is shop around every year like car insurance.

• Like 1

Tried Saga?

Tried twice on-line, every-time it says unable to quote and to ring them, tried ringing but busy and awaiting a call back.

Interesting. ..I recently got a quote from Coast and it was just a middle of the road reponse,nothing cheap about it. My existing NFU policy was cheaper. ....but we all get different answers depending on postcodes etc. ..

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Insurance is such a minefield. Who is cheap for one person may not be for another. To put this in context, my motorhome is insured for £60k and the premium is £255. My friend has a twenty year old Hymer motorhome, worth about £15000 and his premium - £500! Driving experience is the same etc. ...

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Insurance is such a minefield. Who is cheap for one person may not be for another. To put this in context, my motorhome is insured for £60k and the premium is £255. My friend has a twenty year old Hymer motorhome, worth about £15000 and his premium - £500! Driving experience is the same etc. . . .

Russ

Who are you with Russel ? There are a number of deciding factors on motorhome insurance including mileage allowance which can make big difference .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

FWIW, (maybe it's too late?), we're with http://www. myinsurancequotes. co. uk/touring-caravan-insurance/. Underwritten by one of two reputable companies, so might just be worth getting a quote.

• Like 1

2019 Adria Adora Thames

FWIW, (maybe it's too late?), we're with http://www. myinsurancequotes. co. uk/touring-caravan-insurance/. Underwritten by one of two reputable companies, so might just be worth getting a quote.

I used Pebble's link and found it to be the most competitive of those I tried including most above.

More importantly for me having a twin axle, a tracker installation was not deemed necessary which I am against.

If mine were to go for a ride, the last thing I would want is it tracking down and yes it's insured new for old.

• Like 1

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Go for it speedy. Only by changing will the CMC get wise and reduce premiums. We changed a few years ago and have probably saved £400.

If you move across to CC the first year quote is generally very good, but the second year it always seems to go up by about £200! We have always found Towergate to be fairly consistent with their quotes with no huge increases at renewal time.

• Like 1

Not too late :Thankyou:, have another week before renewal, will give it a shot :goodpost:

Turns out I had a previous quote from MyInsurance was still £70 more than Coast.

Still waiting (24 hours) for a call back from Saga and that is just to quote :o

Edited by Speedy15
  • Like 1

We have Wheeltappers and Shunters Club Insurance, now rebranded Caravan and Motorhome Club Insurance, had it for years and found them competitive as I live in a high crime area, Cattle Rustling

Les

I use a broker and they get me the best possible deal at the lowest possible price, I've checked out myself and can't get a better deal than they can, plus if anything happens they will help with all the paperwork

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

To put this in context, my motorhome is insured for £60k and the premium is £255.

Russ

Blimey!! that's cheap for £60k of cover! who is that with please Russ? :)

Kia Sportage 2.0l CRDI GT-Line S Auto 48V ISG AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

:Thankyou: Speedy15 for starting this thread, I got my insurer from it as I have gone round the renewal merry go round this week too.

I appreciate insurance varies on many factors but from expensive to cheapest mine looked as follows for my Bailey:

Caravan/Motorhome Club £340

Camping and Caravan Club

Adrian Flux

Aplan

Caravan Guard

Myinsurancequotes

Lifesure

Towergate (incumbent insurer, this price was after trying to match cheapest) £250

Frank Pickles

Coast (Aviva policy) £200

All are quoted as close as possible for excess, sums insured, new for old, European cover, public liability, security devices etc.

Not only basing this process on price, I did a review of the Defaqto ratings on these policies (I'm sure it can be debated if Defaqto is a truly an impartial differentiator, but it seems sensible to me) and there are some reasonable differences (very few are 5 star rated), but I was surprised when Coast came out cheapest and Defaqto 5 star rated with the cover I wanted. So thats who I ended up going with. I hope I never need to find out how good they are (in the event of a claim!)...!

Oh, I'm not affiliated with any of those listed.

• Like 1

What no LV?

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

:Thankyou: Speedy15 for starting this thread, I got my insurer from it as I have gone round the renewal merry go round this week too.

I appreciate insurance varies on many factors but from expensive to cheapest mine looked as follows for my Bailey:

Caravan/Motorhome Club £340

Camping and Caravan Club

Adrian Flux

Aplan

Caravan Guard

Myinsurancequotes

Lifesure

Towergate (incumbent insurer, this price was after trying to match cheapest) £250

Frank Pickles

Coast (Aviva policy) £200

All are quoted as close as possible for excess, sums insured, new for old, European cover, public liability, security devices etc.

Not only basing this process on price, I did a review of the Defaqto ratings on these policies (I'm sure it can be debated if Defaqto is a truly an impartial differentiator, but it seems sensible to me) and there are some reasonable differences (very few are 5 star rated), but I was surprised when Coast came out cheapest and Defaqto 5 star rated with the cover I wanted. So thats who I ended up going with. I hope I never need to find out how good they are (in the event of a claim!). . .!

Oh, I'm not affiliated with any of those listed.

I have insured with Coast at pretty much half the CMC renewal quote for the same cover. :) :) :)

What no LV?

geoff

Not this time, after that many quotes it was becoming a bit like on of those old TV endurance shows :)

I'll give them a shot next year!

I have insured with Coast at pretty much half the CMC renewal quote for the same cover. :) :) :)

Me too, not quite half but not far off of it! Thanks again for the tip. :)

Today's quotes for same cover . ..

Caravanguard renewal . ....£311

Frank Pickles. ..... £226

Caravanguard best revised price (after mentioning Frank Pickles price) . ....£251

Coast (with Aviva).....£212

Coast did say there was a 10% new customer discount in their price, without which it would have been closer to Frank Pickles price.

Edited by ericfield

• 3 weeks later...

Recently part exchanged our caravan for a hopefully reliable different make. A week before taking our old one to the dealer our CC insurance was due to expire. We were not going to collect the new caravan for a further three weeks. Had a couple of insurers trying for business as usual. Spoke with CC and they gave a quote for the new van valued about £13000 more but quote was only £5 more than previous. They would renew the insurance on our existing caravan, freeze after we took it to the dealer whilst we had no caravan then restart when collecting the new caravan with the increased cover etc. No! Unlike nameless insurers experienced in the recent past, CC do not/did not charge for this service. They do not charge £30 a throw for change of address etc. Decided this year it was not worth saving £20 as per other quotes with the level of competent service we received. Not advertising, just reflecting that I hope if I ever have to claim the same standard makes the premium worthwhile.

• Like 1