Tyre Pressure Monitors?.

Keefmac

Hello all, I'm looking into tyre pressure monitors for the caravan.

I'd like a monitor that can be just popped into the cigarette lighter socket with minimal fuss when towing but wondering if these type will have enough range for the sensors?.

I've seen the one listed below that can cope with 50psi (think it goes up to 100!), alarm is 25% less than user set reference pressure.

Has anyone tried this type of system?.

The Snooper is another option but requres the screen mounting somewhere.

Whatever I go with I'd like an audible alarm.

Any unput/ suggestions appreciated.

Screenshot_2017-06-19-18-10-05.png

Freelander SD4, & 2014 Swift Ace Statesman

I use the TyrePal at £99 https://www. tyrepal. co. uk/product/solar-4-monitor-and-sensors/ - works fine with the rear sensors on the single axle, leaving 2 sensors as spares - they also do a 6 sensor version to cover car & caravan at £135

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

The 2 sensor one is not that bad price wise, did you have to mount a bracket for it and has it got an audible alarm?.

My car already has TPMS so don't need one in full time.

I'd rather buy on that's proven than buy twice to be honest!.

I use the TyrePal at £99 https://www. tyrepal. co. uk/product/solar-4-monitor-and-sensors/ - works fine with the rear sensors on the single axle, leaving 2 sensors as spares - they also do a 6 sensor version to cover car & caravan at £135

I liked the look of this unit but was put off because they didn't recommend it for caravans, I assumed it was because of the range. Just to confirm it works OK for you? I looked but didn't see a 6 sensor version of that one, I'll have another squint.

Took delivery of the same 6 sensor model today. My cars got basic tpms so I may send it back and get the £99 solar one instead, I prefer that dash monitor.

I also ordered the optional screen mount, turns out it comes with one - doh!!!

Hymer 545 Luxusline hauled by Audi SQ5 plus.

I liked the look of this unit but was put off because they didn't recommend it for caravans, I assumed it was because of the range. Just to confirm it works OK for you? I looked but didn't see a 6 sensor version of that one, I'll have another squint

My car is 4. 9m long, the caravan is 7. 1m - the display is on the dashboard and gets the signal for the caravan wheels just fine - the 6-sensor version is https://www. tyrepal. co. uk/product/solar-6-monitor-and-sensors/

• Like 2

This is my other option. . Screenshot_2017-06-19-18-39-26.png

I have this exact one only the 4 sensor system for my TA caravan. Had it 2 years now, works v well and love the quality feel/look of the monitor. It lasts as well as they claim on a charge and never yet lost range and its a v long way from the windscreen to the rear most tyres but all works perfectly. Can recommend this system (no affiliation whatsoever)

• Like 1

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

From experience of owning a branded one I'd buy one off of ebay.

I replaced one of my expensive sensors with one from eBay, guess what it works and cost £13. Just happens to look identical.

I've bought the Tyrepal 12v 2 sensor version, going to fashion a quick mount for it but comes with the windscreen sucker mount.

That Solar Tyrepal looks a good idea, ours would be locked up in the "take to caravan" box most of the time though.

I've bought the Tyrepal 12v 2 sensor version, going to fashion a quick mount for it but comes with the windscreen sucker mount.

That Solar Tyrepal looks a good idea, ours would be locked up in the "take to caravan" box most of the time though.

My solar tyrepal dispay is stuck on the dashtop by the screen pillar - it's very unobtrusive when not in use and easily visible when in use - it's only about the size of a 10 cigarette packet (if you can remember them)..

• Like 1

My solar tyrepal dispay is stuck on the dashtop by the screen pillar - it's very unobtrusive when not in use and easily visible when in use - it's only about the size of a 10 cigarette packet (if you can remember them). .

I've sent them a message to hopefully change to this unit if possible, do you just turn it off if sensors are not present? (Only need it for the 2 caravan tyres).

My car is 4. 9m long, the caravan is 7. 1m - the display is on the dashboard and gets the signal for the caravan wheels just fine - the 6-sensor version is https://www. tyrepal. co. uk/product/solar-6-monitor-and-sensors/

Thanks for that, strange that they specifically say it's not recommended for a caravan, maybe they're just trying to push the more expensive unit. Think I'll send this £260ish one back and get the £99 solar.

I've sent them a message to hopefully change to this unit if possible, do you just turn it off if sensors are not present? (Only need it for the 2 caravan tyres).

I use the two "rear" sensors of the 4 on my single axle caravan - the display just shows "--" for the "front" axle, and the pressures for the rear axle. .

Thanks for that, strange that they specifically say it's not recommended for a caravan, maybe they're just trying to push the more expensive unit. Think I'll send this £260ish one back and get the £99 solar.

I believe a repeater unit is available which is fitted at the rear of the car.

• Like 1

I use the two "rear" sensors of the 4 on my single axle caravan - the display just shows "--" for the "front" axle, and the pressures for the rear axle. .

I believe a repeater unit is available which is fitted at the rear of the car.

The problem is though that there are different experiences with this kit. I bought the solar 4 and went nearly 200 miles before I got 1 of the 2 caravan sensors to connect. The other one did on the way home.

I left them off as next to useless until I bought a new car with no TPMS so used it on the car. 2 of the sensors regularly report low battery (all are new) and only connect if it's not raining/cold. When working in the current warm spell, they do not report correct pressures (checked against pencil type gauge) which, in itslef, is not a problem if just used as an alert system - no good as pressure monitoring system.

Just my experience but I do know others have had less than the ideal.

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

I have a TyrePal TC215/B setup on my twin axle.

No need for a signal booster with my outfit and it's probably generally as long as it gets.

Display usually shows data within 200 metres maximum of starting off.

Glad I bought it, normally retails at circa £199 but mine was a show special for £25 less.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

The six sensor Tyrepal kit shown in BG's post is identical to the unbranded kit I bought on ebay more than a year ago - except mine cost only £93.

I use four sensors on the car and two on the caravan. It's worked great for the past twelve months. As it has a solar panel in the top surface it doesn't require a 12volt connection. As soon as the door is banged shut the four car sensors activate showing pressures and temperature. Only when the caravan is attached does the unit begin cycling between the four and two sensors. The van's sensors spring to life after a couple of yards of movement. The kit comes with a device to relay the caravan's sensors however my 6. 5 caravan doesn't require it.

See also this ebay offer:- http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Solar-Wireless-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-LCD-Monitor-System-6-Sensors-for-Car-RV-/142416551987?hash=item2128b02033

• Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

The big downside of this type of sensor is the need to remove them to top-up the air pressure - with high likelihood of losing the tiny securing screws.

Don't be tempted to use them as additional warnings on cars already fitted with internal pressure sensors - the different stem materials cause corrosion - it's ok though on the ABS-sensed type of TPMS if they use rubber valves - not that any car needs both sets anyway - I only experimented to use the temperature monitoring side of the TyrePal.

The six sensor Tyrepal kit shown in BG's post is identical to the unbranded kit I bought on ebay more than a year ago - except mine cost only £93.

I use four sensors on the car and two on the caravan. It's worked great for the past twelve months. As it has a solar panel in the top surface it doesn't require a 12volt connection. As soon as the door is banged shut the four car sensors activate showing pressures and temperature. Only when the caravan is attached does the unit begin cycling between the four and two sensors. The van's sensors spring to life after a couple of yards of movement. The kit comes with a device to relay the caravan's sensors however my 6. 5 caravan doesn't require it.

See also this ebay offer:- http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/Solar-Wireless-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-LCD-Monitor-System-6-Sensors-for-Car-RV-/142416551987?hash=item2128b02033

Interesting. The link shows a very similar but definitely different system to mine. Open the link and scroll down and the one at £61 is the one I have from Tyrepal. There are clear differences in both the sensors themselves and the positionning of the buttons etc on the solar - wonder if yours is a later model?

• Like 1

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Later tyrepal sensors have ditched the grub screw securing in favour of the lock nut type which is much better in my opinion.

I am convinced there is a lot of re branding going on.

All the valve cap sensors use the same frequency to connect to the head unit and connect in a similar fashion.

If I was buying one now I'd go for an eBay version from China as opposed to others.

I am convinced there is a lot of re branding going on.

You're right there! And Yes - the locknut is much more user friendly than the grub-screws.

• Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Later tyrepal sensors have ditched the grub screw securing in favour of the lock nut type which is much better in my opinion. . . .. ,

Some here.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Fitted a PaceTM Solar 1500 miles ago.

Excellent piece of kit and great to have the peace of mind when towing, especially with a TA.

Dashboard module is solar powered so no 12v lead needed and no problems with receiving the signal.

(Lock nut type).

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up keeping the TC215 and just got round to fitting it yesterday. Relatively easy to set up but I'm not convinced with the accuracy of the temperatures, one side of the car was in the shade, the other in the sun and the tyres were noticeably warmer to the touch. Both back tyres were at 24deg, the fronts were 27 and 23, the hotter one reading 23 (I had allocated them correctly).

Not too fussed about that as the pressures matched up with the readings on my guage.

First impressions are that the monitor is too big and the sensors look like prescription valve caps, not a problem on the caravan but they are quite noticeable and don't suit the car at all, my wheels are black 21s, on silver wheels they'd look even worse. They also stick out further than the tyre which isn't great.

I'll probably take them off the car and rely on it's basic TPMS and just use the monitor when towing.

Anyone concerned about the range of the sensors and considering the extender, don't, the monitor was picking up the signal at the other end of my garden.

If I was purchasing again I'd go with the solar with 2 sensors.

That's interesting. The TC215/B version which is claimed to be siutable for caravans and motorcaravans with trailers is £265!

The version you have seems ok on 12M outfit so I can't see any value in a more expensive version.

Ern