Weight Upgrade

Sirhc

Do I not just cover the old stickers with the new ones and remove them when I sell the caravan?

You could, but the van would still be recorded on the manufacturer's database as upgraded. I'm not aware of what the implications might be or how anyone else would actually know.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

When I ordered the upgrade they didn't want any information about the caravan apart from the model and year so I'm not aware that they will be updating any database. I assume if the officers of the law stop us the will merely check the plates. Am I wrong?

When I ordered the upgrade they didn't want any information about the caravan apart from the model and year so I'm not aware that they will be updating any database. I assume if the officers of the law stop us the will merely check the plates. Am I wrong?

From all that I've read, if you are inspected at the roadside they go by "plated weight" of the car and caravan. I think even if your V5 and car plates don't marry up they would always go by the plate on the car. .

• Like 1

From all that I've read, if you are inspected at the roadside they go by "plated weight" of the car and caravan. I think even if your V5 and car plates don't marry up they would always go by the plate on the car. .

Thanks mate, if we are stopped thats what I would expect also.

I've just contacted Swift via Facebook and within 15 minutes they have replied, excellent service there!.

I can upgrade my 1555kg to 1600kg so worth having I think!, MRO is 1345kg.

I've just contacted Swift via Facebook and within 15 minutes they have replied, excellent service there!.

I can upgrade my 1555kg to 1600kg so worth having I think!, MRO is 1345kg.

That's a great result mate as I have said above I can't see a downside. Even if you sell the van I cannot believe it cannot be replated back to original. Go for it!! job done! Awsome.

Yep, we don't have a lot in it normally but Mover and Awning have taken a chunk out of the payload so better having a bit more if possible!.

• Like 1

When a manufacturer increases the MTPLM of a van they have to issue a new Certificate of Conformity as well as a new weight plate or decal to be fixed to the vehicle. They also have to amend their official records of the vehicle. All this to comply with the Type Approval regulations.

If you're stopped for weighing it will be the plate that is used to check against, not the manufacturer's database.

That's why I said that I'm not sure what the implications are of replacing the plate with an original lower weight plate without advising the manufacturer and going through a formal downplating exercise. At the back of my mind is a thought that the plates and decals are made so that their removal damages them beyond further use or makes the old decal illegible.

When a manufacturer increases the MTPLM of a van they have to issue a new Certificate of Conformity as well as a new weight plate or decal to be fixed to the vehicle. They also have to amend their official records of the vehicle. All this to comply with the Type Approval regulations.

If you're stopped for weighing it will be the plate that is used to check against, not the manufacturer's database.

That's why I said that I'm not sure what the implications are of replacing the plate with an original lower weight plate without advising the manufacturer and going through a formal downplating exercise. At the back of my mind is a thought that the plates and decals are made so that their removal damages them beyond further use or makes the old decal illegible.

That makes a lot of sense Andy. I notice from the image of the product that I have bought there are some forms, presumably they need to be completed and sent off to who ever manages that database. I look forward to seeing what get for the money. Cheers mate your input and knowledge is much appreciated.

. At the back of my mind is a thought that the plates and decals are made so that their removal damages them beyond further use or makes the old decal illegible.

That's correct, when I removed the one next to the door it by design left a backing stuck to the van with VOID printed all over it. I think the removed part had void appear as a clear part, but memory again so not quite sure on that The one on the bulkhead practically fell off.

Before I replaced the old with the new I used white spirit and a fair bit of elbow grease to remove that backing piece.

Edited by Guest

Have a look on eBay. I suspect you can get the plate upgraded to your precise requirements.

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Have a look on eBay. I suspect you can get the plate upgraded to your precise requirements.

Illegal to plate up as it is very dangerous . The manufacturer has to issue a new plate and certificate to authorise the increase .

It would effect your insurance also.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Our new laser was ordered with the weight plate upgrade, it too was delivered with the standard plate. Dealer spoke to Coachman, a few days later a new one was received, just stuck it over the old one.

Mark

I hope it wasn't stuck over the top of the old one, I believe that when replating a vehicle you must replace the old plate.

I contemplated that for my 2001 Bailey as the printing had faded from standing in the sun within 4 years from new - the VIN plates/stickers are supposed to be "indelibly-marked" but not all are.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I hope it wasn't stuck over the top of the old one, I believe that when replating a vehicle you must replace the old plate.

If stuck over you can remove it when you sell the van.

I think our police have greater things on their plate (oops another pun) than bothering about precisely how something's been stuck on a trailer.

10 percent of drivers don't even have insurance. ..

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I wouldn't want to drive illegally to save the few quid it costs for a legal upgrade and buying a plate that takes your van over it's chassis limit is both illegal and foolhardy.

As to 10% of drivers being uninsured that doesn't sound right to me. With number plate recognition and interlinked databases these days, surely the roadsides would be littered with cars pulled over for no insurance. I mean traffic cops would be self financing in fines if they just drove up and down a street pulling over the 1 in 1O cars that are supposed to be uninsured​?

Number plate readers are picking them up at a rate that police can't keep up at present. My friends son is on traffic and they spend all their shift just nicking uninsured drivers. Whilst stopping one there are 20 driving past he says.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I wouldn't want to drive illegally to save the few quid it costs for a legal upgrade and buying a plate that takes your van over it's chassis limit is both illegal and foolhardy.

It's more about the foolhardy driving past you when something breaks.

As to 10% of drivers being uninsured that doesn't sound right to me. With number plate recognition and interlinked databases these days, surely the roadsides would be littered with cars pulled over for no insurance. I mean traffic cops would be self financing in fines if they just drove up and down a street pulling over the 1 in 1O cars that are supposed to be uninsured​?

What "traffic cops"? The non-enforcement duties, accident management etc, has largely been handed over to Traffic England or Traffic Scotland (not sure about Wales and NI) and in most police forces, their Traffic Division has been shut down and their staff deployed elsewhere, including Rapid Response Units, usually armed.

It's simply unethical for the police to be funded by fines - in any case, many of the scumbags who drive without insurance have no legitimate income so pay very little in fines - if they bother attending court.

• Like 1

I realise it's unethical but if driving uninsured is so common then a specific enforcement team to stamp it out would surely be cost effective and squeeze lots of other areas of anti social behaviour as well.

That's incredible naive. These folks don't care about getting caught and have no money to pay fines.

So jail would be the only way forward. But you'd probably need an incarceration number of nearer 800k which is in line with the US and China regards prison population ratios.

At 50 to 100k per annum per prisoner no one is going to foot the bill and where would we site another 1000 prisons? Also which politician would state our law and order is in such a mess. TM wouldn't.

Now don't get me wrong, some US prisons feed their prisoners for 99 cents per day so we could perhaps learn a few lessons. ..

In the meantime, it's just like a toll added to our insurance and our taxes and the low life do as they please. ..

Edited by PandR

Caravan Ramblings blog

Just remember folks if you have an accident insurers will use anything to get out of a payout, having illegal plates on your caravan won't help your cause. It is illegal to interfere with the plating of a vehicle to make uncertified changes up or down, to display an incorrect plate or to cover or obsure a plate.

It is stuck over the old one, with all the correct info from coachman, so why would it be a problem ?

Mark

It's not 10% uninsured drivers, 45 million have licenses and around 1million are driving without insurance which is less than 2. 3% and far from doing nothing the police have seized over 600,000 uninsured cars in the last 5 years.

It's not 10% uninsured drivers, 45 million have licenses and around 1million are driving without insurance which is less than 2. 3% and far from doing nothing the police have seized over 600,000 uninsured cars in the last 5 years.

How do they know it's a million - is that just the number of drivers with no insured car on their database - like all the wives/partners who share the only vehicle under the "any driver" clause which some do still have - or like all those with company-insured cars.