Great Caravaning Gaffs.

I think the point is that if the manufacturer had taken note of this very basic engineering fact, they would have made the corners rounded not square.

I understand that Paul, was just offering some advice for how he could prevent the cracking getting worse.

We're all different. I find a lot of the newer vans with lots of fashionable white furniture feel austere, cold and generally uncomfortable, whereas wood finish is warm, cosy and comfortable.

Here's to being different, we hate how wood filled and old fashioned British built vans are and have just gone French to get that white "cold" look - no wood in sight!

Yes Peter, I use a small timber offcut of the right size to hold the freezer flap flat. . . and this stops the main door closing . .. so it doesn't need wedging.

John

I find the bottle holder clip (from the fridge door shelf) fits in the freezer compartment door hinge gap. This holds freezer door open sufficiently to still use the manufacturer's fridge door stay.

Note to self: remember to dispose of ice cubes. ....

Elddis Xplore 302SE 2013 towed by Defender 110 300Tdi CSW

Our Xplore 302 had a few niggles that we solved.

Remove the stay from washroom door so that it opens fully. (tea towel round handle prevents it hitting work surface), if only they had fitted handle an inch higher. . .

Additional 12v charging point in cupboard (so phone/tablet not on display when out!)

Front of pull out for bed replaced with real timber instead of MDF. (Hubby sat on it, hard.)

Hot halogen bulbs replaced with LED (more for energy saving)

But why can the washer-up lock the washroom user in, by opening an overhead locker. . . .

Also said washroom user struggles to use small sink as large tap covers the largest part. . . .

Any porch awning will cut across side lounge window, and 'van is so small, a full awning gives an extra metre of space. . .(£/m2 poor)

Other niggles include the positioning of tank drain tap which involves removing 2 cushions and a yoga position, if the bed is left up. . . it's impossible.

We love it!

Edited by p0ppyd0g

Elddis Xplore 302SE 2013 towed by Defender 110 300Tdi CSW

. . . . . . Hopefully this is all under the rubber seal so can't be seen.

Woefully no.

The crack has now crept outside of the frame area by about 12mm.

Foolish basic engineering design detail under the frame.

post-1814-0-08730700-1499154713_thumb.jpg

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Fed up of wet feet. My Bailey U1 Barcelona's washroom sink was obviously designed by someone who doesn't wash or who had the brainwave that I could soak my feet while washing my face. U1 B owners will know what I mean. It's difficult to get your face over the sink because someone thoughtfully put a great tap in the way so rinsing my face means water goes everywhere. The loo cover gets a good splash as well with the run off from my elbow.

I've cunningly changed to an electric razor to reduce the feet washing. Don't tell 'em though.

That said, it's the best caravan I've ever had.

Edited by Paul_B

If at first you don't succeed. ... redefine success.

Our first Hymer a 2001 had over the table a hanging pendant light. The shade of this was about a foot in diameter. It hung on a foot long length of cable. The bulb was a 12v 60W incandescent bulb so it was drawing 5 amps. What you had to do was before every journey remove the light from the fitting on the celling and stow it somewhere. Several times we forgot finally it fell off in transit and we got replace it with a more sensible celling light.

When the Germans do bad design they do really bad design.

You mean like the Hindenburg?....:-/

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

I'm finding this topic fascinating,,at least the "gaffs responses anyway. We bought our van because we wanted more comfort than a tent or trailer tent could afford, but were restricted to width due to a narrowish driveway and cost, so we bought a Lunar Cosmos,which is politely known; I believe in the trade, as an "entry level" caravan.

My ideas on Gaffs are;- 1. weight distribution,,,Gas bottle

Spare wheel (steel )

Truma heater

Leisure battery

all forward of the axle, and add to that the weight of movers, you're towball weight goes through the roof.

2. No "U" bend on sink drainpipe, ( fixable )

3. Heating tube for bathroom goes under the floor and up, so no actual heat is delivered.

4. Unless you use the bed arrangement as a double there no space to store the two long backrests except stood up against the fridge.

We actually love and enjoy or little van, but it was very clear from day one of purchase that the is no such thing as "Quality Control" during production, and when points are raised with dealers they blame the manufacturers.

Until this business gets to production levels of cars ( never ) it won't improve, no matter how many of us complain,,except by not buying that particular make whatever it may be.

Sadly P all the makes suffer from the same sorts of problems You'll never get car like quality because the volumes are tiny in comparison, the capital employed is miniscule and the cost pressures are immense.

• Like 2

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Here's to being different, we hate how wood filled and old fashioned British built vans are and have just gone French to get that white "cold" look - no wood in sight!

You could have stayed with British and bought a Sterling! IMHO far better interior styling than the Swifts.

You mean like the Hindenburg?. . .. :-/

For every Hindenburg there is a R101

• Like 1

Can't believe that after 80 posts, nobody has mentioned the gaffe to end all gaffes: Bailey putting a join across the middle of the roof and hoping it keeps the water out by sticking a narrow plastic strip over the join.

Took the cover off yesterday ready to set out. First job, spray water over the roof to see if it is still watertight. Thankfully it still is. Sad that one feels it necessary to do this. :angry:

Mind you, need not have bothered, had the mother of all thunderstorms this morning to give it a real test.

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

It's actually an aluminium strip,clamped underneath to the ceiling. Still leaks though!