Additional Costs - Awnings, Dogs, Electric

Spyder

Having come back to caravanning after a break of a few years, I'm finding that a lot of sites charge extra for awnings!

When did this happen?

Surely, once you've paid for a pitch, whether or not you erect an awning, porch or full, it's irrelevant to the site so how do they justify charging £3 a day (or thereabouts) for an awning?

I fully understand another new implementation which is metered electricity and can accept that but to be charged for an awning over and above the pitch price just has me baffled.

Is it just me or do others feel the same or understand why the sites do it like this?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

I prefer to see a simple (all inclusive) price per night given that I have an awning, a dog and a non-negotiable need for electricity.

That said, those without awnings, dogs or need for electricity benefit from the basic pitch price whilst those with any of those things pay for what they actually need.

One of the reasons a site owner charges 'extra' for awnings, dogs, etc is to keep the headline price low - a bit like some low cost airlines perhaps - but the overall price is probably no greater than a comparable site with all inclusive pricing.

• Like 1

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

I suppose if the 'combined' price is the same or less than an all inclusive price then fair enough but without looking too deeply into it (yet) . . I'm finding that is not the case.

We have 2-dogs and a porch awning so I'm pretty stuck but I suppose the counter argument is if someone has neither, then it's cheaper for them . . it's just that after 10-years out of caravanning, this has come as a surprise to me.

The bottom line is what you pay I suppose but I'm finding most sites I'm looking at are charging for these extras. Maybe it's time to revisit the club sites?

• Like 1

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

. ......how do they justify. ....?

To me this is a strange question! These days, nobody has to "justify" anything, customers will pay or go elsewhere, what other justification is required?

You might as well complain that it is not fair, when nobody ever proved that it should be fair.

• Like 5

here is one I have not come across, I booked a pitch yesterday with hard standings,

If you put your awning up on the hardstanding you do not pay extra .

• Like 1

It's just a way of making more money.

You are right, if you have paid for 4 square metres of pitch then how can they justify charging for putting up an awning.

Same for dogs, does a poo bin really justify £2. 50 per night?

The simple answer is it's their train set and you either pay and play, or not and stay away.

• Like 5

To me this is a strange question! These days, nobody has to "justify" anything, customers will pay or go elsewhere, what other justification is required?You might as well complain that it is not fair, when nobody ever proved that it should be fair.

Not sure you are right there. .. if something is generally perceived as being unfair, there will be less take up than something that is perceived as being fair.

The justification for charging a basic price plus 'extras' as required is that those not needing the extras are not paying for them.

In my opinion, metered PAYG electricity would be a fully justified 'extra' rather than the having low consumers subsidising those who wish to heat the entire world with awning heaters for example.

• Like 3

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

These days, nobody has to "justify" anything, customers will pay or go elsewhere

Until there's nowhere else to go!

As someone who has no dogs and doesn't deploy an awning it's is nice to have the opportunity to not pay for them in an "all inclusive" price. On the other hand we do have a large MH that we prefer to place on hard standing so inevitably we're obliged to fork out for a "super pitch" just to get a firm surface on which to park.

Gordon.

RV at Wareham - WP_20160706_001.jpg

here is one I have not come across, I booked a pitch yesterday with hard standings,

If you put your awning up on the hardstanding you do not pay extra .

I suppose I can understand that . . if an awning is on a grass pitch without a breathable groundsheet for a period of time, it will destroy the grass therefore adding cost to the site owner whereas on hard standing no damage can occur.

Based on that, I suppose I could justify a charge for an awning on a grass pitch.

Still back to my initial question though . . when did this start to happen because 10-years ago, I never paid for an awning anywhere?

• Like 1

Still back to my initial question though . . when did this start to happen because 10-years ago, I never paid for an awning anywhere?

I think you were lucky not to be charged extra then but you're right there is an increasing trend to charge for all sorts of things that in some cases can almost double the total cost per night.

I confess that most of our caravanning has been spent on caravan rallies where there is normallly a fixed price (often reduced from the normal price when on a commercial site) with a small contribution being paid to the organising club. This is often the cheapest way to get away in your caravan and generally there is no presure to join in with any club activities if you do not wish to.

Gordon

As someone who has no dogs and doesn't deploy an awning it's is nice to have the opportunity to not pay for them in an "all inclusive" price. On the other hand we do have a large MH that we prefer to place on hard standing so inevitably we're obliged to fork out for a "super pitch" just to get a firm surface on which to park.

Gordon.

I see a 'super pitch' as a pitch that offers on-pitch water, grey waste drainage and a tv point. .. it is not unreasonable to expect to pay more for such a pitch compared to a 'standard' hardstanding. I have never paid more for a basic hardstanding than I would have for a similarly equipped grass pitch though.

I see a 'super pitch' as a pitch that offers on-pitch water, grey waste drainage and a tv point. .. it is not unreasonable to expect to pay more for such a pitch compared to a 'standard' hardstanding. I have never paid more for a basic hardstanding than I would have for a similarly equipped grass pitch though.

I agree but there are situations on some commercial sites where the only hardstanding has been allocated to super pitches which can be offered on a 'take it or leave it' basis with no reduction in fees if you do not use the dedicated standpipe, waste point, TV point etc. I'm not complaining, just stating how it can be as I fully understand that if I'm parked on a super pitch everyone else is effectively blocked from using it.

Our MH can go about ten days between needing to top up with fresh water or dump the waste, so all I need is firm ground and a hookup if available.

Gordon.

I can understand extra for dogs if there are bins and a dog walk and even a separate charge for electricity ( how many tines have I seen a heater in the awning!!!!!) but awnings is a bit of a rip off as a lot of sites won't let you sleep in them (not that I do) and would charge extra for more than two adults anyway!!!

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

Can understand to some extent extra for an awning on grass, but on hardstanding, cannot see why it is relevant.

• Like 1

To me this is a strange question! These days, nobody has to "justify" anything, customers will pay or go elsewhere, what other justification is required?

You might as well complain that it is not fair, when nobody ever proved that it should be fair.

Outside of communist countries (and not there now) prices are based on demand and opportunity, not on cost.

By the time some people have put down groundsheets within their awnings, they do "on average" damage grass which needs additional work to look after - and some sites offer different size pitches depending on whether you book with an awning or not.

Most of the CLs and commercial sites I use don't charge for any extras - so there's still plenty of choice

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Welcome back Ron :)

We tend to try and avoid the sites with a list of add-ons but some CL sites we like have also started to charge for the awnings, but as they're grass pitches its to cover for damage repairs, we've never been charged as our ground sheet (if used) doesn't damage the grass.

However over the last few years pitches have got closer and some sites charge extra for awnings as they need a bigger pitch.

• Like 1

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Extending the topic title a little, you could wonder why most commercial sites bump up their prices at school holiday times and Christmas and New Year. The obvious answer would be - because they can.

We give our trade to a site that tells you their pitch rate. No matter if you have an awning, or dogs, and unlimited electric, it NEVER charges any extra at ANY time of the year, the rate never alters it is what it is.

These sites deserve to get our custom I think, you don't have to use them of course, buy why wouldn't you.

• Like 2

I've never stayed at a site where they charge extra for metered electricity or awnings, though I understand they're a growing trend, but there are still plenty that don't charge extra.

Our current site (Wheathill near Ludlow) where we also store our van, charges £25 per night all season. For fabulous views, all superpitches, pub/restaurant at the entrance, no charge for dogs or awnings it's excellent. Oh and a 3 paddock dog run up a hillside with even wider views. The fixed price makes it a bit expensive in low season but quite cheap compared to similar facility spots in high summwr.

• Like 1

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I've never stayed at a site where they charge extra for metered electricity or awnings, though I understand they're a growing trend, but there are still plenty that don't charge extra.

Our current site (Wheathill near Ludlow) where we also store our van, charges £25 per night all season. For fabulous views, all superpitches, pub/restaurant at the entrance, no charge for dogs or awnings it's excellent. Oh and a 3 paddock dog run up a hillside with even wider views. The fixed price makes it a bit expensive in low season but quite cheap compared to similar facility spots in high summwr.

You illustrate the site owners problem.

By charging the same all year round your site is uncompetitive in the off-season, which the very period the site owner needs to find extra customers.

As with all things we have to compare the overall cost and not just the headline price.

• Like 1

Regards Dave

Volvo XC70 AWD & Lunar Clubman SB

http://wandering. me. uk/

It doesn't seem to bother the owner at present, he's too busy putting the final touches to his 25 new pitches. In recent years he's had fairly high occupancy anyway with the original 25 pitches. Now he's doubling capacity it may concentrate his mind.

I've been here a week now and for two of those days there's been a gang planting trees and shrubs. Overall there are 700 plants going in. Trouble is they're mostly whips and they fit a rabbit guard to each one. So now we have a landscape full of green plastic rabbit guards.

• Like 1

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I don't mind paying more for better facilities (swimming pool etc) but avoid sites that charge for awnings/gazebos. My view is if the pitch accomodates them safely then it shouldn't matter. The only time I would happily pay is if it meant I get a bigger pitch.

I can understand extra for dogs if there are bins and a dog walk and even a separate charge for electricity ( how many tines have I seen a heater in the awning!!!!!) but awnings is a bit of a rip off as a lot of sites won't let you sleep in them (not that I do) and would charge extra for more than two adults anyway!!!

Defo should be a charge per dog in my opinion. How often are site owners left with mess to clear up in the hedgerows and verges?

• Like 2

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Defo should be a charge per dog in my opinion. How often are site owners left with mess to clear up in the hedgerows and verges?

That annoys me too! I own two dogs and pick up after them owners that don't shouldn't have a dog imho. But the same applies to people with kids ( we have 4 grown up so it's not us and them) they should know what and where their offspring are doing .

Getting back to the subject though I assume people with children get charged on top of the usual van + 2 people?

• Like 3

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

Extending the topic title a little, you could wonder why most commercial sites bump up their prices at school holiday times and Christmas and New Year. The obvious answer would be - because they can.

We give our trade to a site that tells you their pitch rate. No matter if you have an awning, or dogs, and unlimited electric, it NEVER charges any extra at ANY time of the year, the rate never alters it is what it is.

These sites deserve to get our custom I think, you don't have to use them of course, buy why wouldn't you.

First rule of economics - supply & demand - there's a shortage of pitches at peak times so prices go up - or looked at conversely, there's under-occupancy off-peak so reduce price to encourage more visitors.

No different to being paid double time (or some other multiple) for working week-ends and/or bank holidays.

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES