Awning Pole Dent

Douglasdjt70

Hi folks, our first trip caravanning and unfortunately a small dent in the side due to a falling awning pole! It's really annoying. Was wondering, there is a decal which says 'Major 6' , I was thinking if I could move it over I could cover up the dent. I remember I removed a badge from a car by heating it with a hairdryer which softened the glue. Came off no problem. Funny thing is the decal that's on the caravan isn't straight anyway. I've considers buying a sticker like a flag or something but I think it might look a bit out of place. Has anyone moved a decal by this method? Any advice appreciated!

Could you use an oblong yellow reflector.

PS Be careful using heat on aluminium. Localized heating can expand the area which won't return to normal, so you're left with a ripple.

Edited by Jaydug
  • Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Yes I'm now thinking it's a bad idea, could prob get the stickers off but good chance they'll be damaged and not reusable it's right in the middle so I think a reflector may look a bit odd! Looking into sourcing additional sticker/ decal to cover it!

Yes I'm now thinking it's a bad idea, could prob get the stickers off but good chance they'll be damaged and not reusable it's right in the middle so I think a reflector may look a bit odd! Looking into sourcing additional sticker/ decal to cover it!

Is it just that you know it's there? Or is it really noticeable?

We have three very small dents.

One in the battery locker door which must have been there when we got the 'van, another caused when the wind blew a chair against the side and another aquired somewhere en route between Lake Como in Italy and Calais France. It's annoying but you do have to look very hard and a certain angle to see them so I've decided to live with them, sticking something over then would just look wrong to me and actually just draw more attention to them.

When I bought this caravan, there were "Elddis" stickers on both sides. Eventually I noticed that one was

off centre, and peeling it off found a small dent. Filled it, painted it. Completely gone! :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

It depends where the dent is if a reflector can be used with a matching one the other side or a small vent put on with double sided tape .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I don't have a picture of the repair but on a previous caravan I had a significant dent where vandals attacked our caravan. The walls had a embossed wall finish that made filling and painting almost impossible and so I fitted a "false air vent" over the damaged area. By sourcing a small plastic vent cover, I cut off the part that would normally have protruded through the bodywork and was then able to fix the front vent fascia section flush onto the dented caravan wall. A little black paint applied to the bodywork behind the louvred vent first completed the illusion.

The vent I chose was similar to this.

Wall vent.jpg

Gordon.