Planning A Caravan Safe Route

Blowfish

Hi everyone, new to caravanning and since purchasing my van a few weeks ago we have already booked up several weekends for this year.

What do you ladies & gents use for planning caravan safe routes? My BMW has a good sat nav but no way of selecting caravan safe routes so can't really use it as i could end up down a tight lane!

• Like 1

Google Earth is usually your friend in need. ...and looking at a basic road map will indicate steep banks etc.

geoff

• Like 1

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Stick to main roads, plan using a paper map and then follow arrival instructions religiously.

• Like 5

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Many caravan sites give recommended routes, several say not to use satnav's. As above, Google Earth is your friend, especially Street View.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Probably nothing wrong with the built in satnav but don't rely on it; it is one of several tools in your navigation armoury.

If the device has an option to plan differnet types of route then avoid 'shortest' as this will almost certainy find the route nearest to a straight line for the journey and will no doubt search out lanes that no one knew existed.

Option for fastest route is more likely to keep you on major roads

Good use of the Mark 1 eyeball for road signs that indicate restrictions such as height and width.

Watching out for signs can help to promote team work between driver and co-driver :D

A good road atlas in an essential back for any satnav, sometimes easier to get the context of where your heading.

Edited by jetA1

We use paper map in conjunction with SatNav, but we also use the ViaMichelin website, where you can put in the fact that you are towing a caravan.

• Like 1

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

If I'm going somewhere unknown I check the route on google maps and programme the sat nav accordingly, or see how it routes me, when we went to Holland the satnav routed the way I'd go. I keep the nav on in the car as it gives real time traffic updates.

• Like 3

I am a jump in and go sort of person. Quick look at Google maps maybe but not much more then just case of keeping my eye out for low bridge signs!

So far never got into any real issues that I couldn't get out of.

Because a road is shown as A road does not guarantee a road safe for caravans--- some in Scotland & Wales might be shown as A road but i have seen B roads that were better ! Mind what you think as a "no go" this year might be a doddle next year. ..........

But your best friend is -- Google earth ( as has been said ) If i have concerns i sit down & "run" the who route through google earth. It might take a while but. ...... Only thing. . Google Earth MIGHT not be up to date.

• Like 1

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Having towed farm wagons overloaded with straw or hay since I was 12, 60 odd years ago I never bother to check routes! Very much a gung-ho attitude I know, but have never worried about routes!
Today's trip through Devon took me on some very narrow lanes, with caravan following me! I just take it gently and am happy to reverse if needed!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Hi everyone, new to caravanning and since purchasing my van a few weeks ago we have already booked up several weekends for this year.

What do you ladies & gents use for planning caravan safe routes? My BMW has a good sat nav but no way of selecting caravan safe routes so can't really use it as i could end up down a tight lane!

Many sites list appropriate routes in on their websites - and as posted, Google Earth is very good.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I tried (and still,occasionally,use) Co-Pilot on my iPhone. You can input your 'van dimensions and it purports to plot a route using these.

Quite power hungry so need to keep phone on charge whilst using it - can get quite warm.

Generally good but it did tell me to turn left toward SUTTON BANK once when I was in Thirsk - difficult to report such a failing to the developers of the app.

Hadn't tried Google Earth - will try.

Ultimately, with care and patience, you can go pretty much anywhere.

Enjoy!

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I now realise that I am a caravanner. .........and proud of it!!

Now have our 2017 Lunar Clubman SB - not AluTech!! :D

We use paper map in conjunction with SatNav, but we also use the ViaMichelin website, where you can put in the fact that you are towing a caravan.

We've discussed the Via Michelin route planner before and it's not recommended.

Yes, it does have a 'caravan' option, but it will still take you up a caravan-prohibited 1 in 4 hill if you enter a route from Minehad to Lynton!! AFAIK, the caravan option simply adds on some time and costs to the journey.

John

• Like 1

I always check Google earth when planning a route, and streetview if anything looks a bit dodgy. Pick 'fastest route' on the satnav if that's an option, and be prepared to ignore it if it wants to take you down a farm track!

With some 42ft of kit, I always plan using A roads as far as I can avoiding minor road shortcuts.

In some cases B roads enter into it but usually at the very end of the journey.

I always use the publication shown below but when it comes to the final approach I check it out on Google Earth.

There have been ocassions when GE has thrown up an approach problem not evident on the map.

I have two sat navs, one inbuilt and a regularly updated TomTom but they are only aids to the Philip's, I would not dream of relying on those alone.

Other than with the CMC who give final approach details for main sites in the handbook, I usually ring ahead to check with the site.

post-1814-0-12268700-1490676365_thumb.png

• Like 2

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

After a very recent bad experience being led up the garden path (not quite literally but you get the drift) by a so called 'dedicated' sat nav for caravanners I am in the process ordering the same Atlas as Griff's above before we head off to Scotland for Easter.

We found an initial turn was deceptively ok but then increasingly we were being funnelled into ever tighter roads in West Yorkshire. When asked to re route us some of the lanes and road entrances were clearly just completely unsuitable. I found the scale on my back up paper atlas not detailed enough so we had to plough on unable to turn or reverse due to the sheer narrowness of the roads. It was a hard lesson learned but the 'van emerged unscathed thankfully.

So by all means use a sat nav but be aware of where it might be sending you, if in doubt check and if checking use a decent up to date atlas.

Once upon a time the AA marketed a Caravanning map, it showed good routes in green, take care routes in dotted red and no-go routes in red. I've still got mine and find it's still largely relevant. However, with a much bigger tug than I had in the 80s, and road improvements over the years, some no-gos are ok these days e. g. Harley Hill nr Much Wenlock.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

In addition to the advice above, if unsure about the route to your chosen site ask on here. Quite often you will find others have previously visited or, as I have found a couple of times, members who stay local to the area will advise on route to take or avoid.

An alternative is to purchase a Satnav that has all the UK caravan sites as standard with the options to add the dimensions of your outfit and your own POIs.

An alternative is to purchase a Satnav that has all the UK caravan sites as standard with the options to add the dimensions of your outfit and your own POIs.

Please read my post above.

Mine (Garmin Camper) has all my outfit dimensions in it, yet it still insisted on trying to send me down some ridiculously narrow lanes and steep very awkward turns.

• Like 3

Yes, it does have a 'caravan' option, but it will still take you up a caravan-prohibited 1 in 4 hill if you enter a route from Minehad to Lynton!!

Thought Porlock was advisory not banned,unlike Sutton Bank. ...there is a caravan park there after all.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

A dedicated caravan or motorhome sat nav costing £500 will still take you up narrow lanes the same as a £60 sat nav and the only difference is known restrictions like low bridges or weight restrictions on bridges or width barriers when your outfit sizes are input .

Google maps in satellite view for roads approaching site and best route on site layout and steet view for entrance widths and narrow lanes to swing in is a must for a twin axle . As said always follow site instructions for approach .

Selecting caravan option in a route planner will effect the estimated time of arrival not the route .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If you can find a reliable one!

Capital Outdoors and Caravan Club were selling a Snooper-based one which had a high failure rate so withdrawn and replaced by a Garmin-based one which itself has now been replaced by an Avtex-based unit.

A dedicated caravan or motorhome sat nav costing £500 will still take you up narrow lanes the same as a £60 sat nav and the only difference is known restrictions like low bridges or weight restrictions on bridges or width barriers when your outfit sizes are input .

Google maps in satellite view for roads approaching site and best route on site layout and steet view for entrance widths and narrow lanes to swing in is a must for a twin axle . As said always follow site instructions for approach .

Selecting caravan option in a route planner will effect the estimated time of arrival not the route .

Dave

No point in buying a caravan-capable satnav and NOT putting outfit dimensions in - they just operate in car mode if you do that.

But - they only use legal width restrictions - an OS map will show many minor roads "generally less than 4m wide" which makes life very difficult with traffic coming the other way!

Use my sat nav and common sense.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554