• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, historic motorsport, my dogs.
  • Towcar:2017 Nissan Navara Acenta+
  • Caravan:2016 Swift Conqueror 645, Isabella awnings.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:10 pm

Comfort and instrumentation
Phone connectivity
Rear view camera makes hitching a doddle

Click here to view the towcar review

#2 Flying Grandad

Flying Grandad

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Paragliding, Diving
  • Towcar:Nissan Navara NP300
  • Caravan:Swift Elegance 645

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:56 pm

Just to add my two penn'orth. I went for the Tekna spec of the Navara with an auto box. The gearbox, once I got used to an automatic, is a joy to have, particularly when towing. It does subtract a little from the economy (approx 2 mpg) but on an average annual mileage of 10,000 that's about £1.50 a week. It eliminates clunky gearshift issues, which, my experience with my manual X-Trail suggests, will improve over time. DAB radio, which the Tekna has, is a mixed blessing. I didn't try using it until we got to Portugal. Guess what? No DAB transmissions in Portugal. I personally do not find the interior mirror to be a problem. I can swivel mine up on its mounting stem to get it out of my line of site. As far as size is concerned, shall we say it's a bit of a challenge at Tesco but you soon get used to it. The longer we have our truck, the better I like it :D

• bobsbabes likes this

#3 bobsbabes

bobsbabes

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Towcar:Nissan Navara NP300 Tekna
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Galera

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:42 pm

Love our Tekna

#4 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:50 pm

Having just completed a 1200 mile round trip to the French Alps I managed to get some accurate fuel consumption figures. A little disappointed as it is around 21 mpg. In its defence though we spent most of the time on the peage at around 110 km/h wherever possible which is faster than I normally tow (90km/h) And we were well loaded in the truck with 3 metre awning plus canopy and flooring, some of my brother and sister in laws clothing as they were flying easyjet to Lyon and a lot of dog food plus extra chairs and bedding.. We did find with our Kia that shaving that last 20km/h off the speed saves a worthwhile amount of fuel. We have another longish trip in July which wont be quite so rushed so see what happens then.

#5 Chalky9

Chalky9

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:High-Tech, Travel, Dogs
  • Towcar:Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Vigo

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:42 pm

In its defence though we spent most of the time on the peage at around 110 km/h wherever possible which is faster than I normally tow (90km/h)

I imagine the gendarmes will be interested to read that.

#6 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:57 am

Checked my info again and you're right, that will teach me to do my research a little more thoroughly. Missed the 3.5 tonne bit. I shall expect a little brown envelope from the French Authorities in due course. Muppet.
Mind you that was an indicated speed so probably well short of a true 110 but I was overtaken a few times by other caravans and many motorhomes. Still no excuses, feeling rather foolish as I've always stuck to 90 km/h religiously.

Edited by Tuningdrew, 02 July 2017 - 04:16 am.

• Chalky9 likes this

#7 Chalky9

Chalky9

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:20 am

I doubt the little brown envelope will arrive. While the newer speed cameras can distinguish between cars and trucks I don't think they can assess the weight of a car/caravan combo. Unless you were 'zapped' by a mobile patrol you're probably safe.

It irks me when motorhomes go whizzing past - how the French manage to keep some of those monsters below 3.5 tonnes is a mystery!

#8 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:54 pm

As an exercise today I borrowed my sons GPS speedo thing he has, Road Angel. It gives a very accurate speed reading apparently. In my Navara 110 km/h on the speedo is in fact 95 km/h. Explains why stuff was coming past me! Checked a few MPH readings as well as the local traffic guys are a bit hot at the moment: indicated 60 mph = 54 mph and as we have a lot of 50 limits round here an indicated 50 is in fact 44 mph.

#9 Chalky9

Chalky9

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 02:50 pm

I may be mistaken but I thought car speedometers were required to read between 0 and 10% over the actual speed. If you are really only doing 95 when yours says 110 then it is reading more than 15% over.

Edited by Chalky9, 02 July 2017 - 02:50 pm.

#10 SuperRed

SuperRed

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Towcar:ML 250
  • Caravan:Coachman Vip

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:54 pm

Is the Navara classed as a commercial vehicle and has anyone had any issues getting on to any sites. I am sure I have read that on some site there is a no commercial vehicles rule.

#11 Borussia 1900

Borussia 1900

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning
    Cycling
    Borussia Monchengladbach
  • Towcar:2015 Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun)
  • Caravan:2016 Tabbert Pucinni 560 2.5e

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:27 am

Checked my info again and you're right, that will teach me to do my research a little more thoroughly. Missed the 3.5 tonne bit. I shall expect a little brown envelope from the French Authorities in due course. Muppet.
Mind you that was an indicated speed so probably well short of a true 110 but I was overtaken a few times by other caravans and many motorhomes. Still no excuses, feeling rather foolish as I've always stuck to 90 km/h religiously.

My Shogun + Tabbert = 5030 Kg.  110 Km/h all the way through France to Spain and back, no fines just extortionate Peage costs which are daylight robbery  :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users