Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:walking countryside wildlife cars sailing skiing TV
  • Towcar:Disco 5
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova S 545

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:40 pm

Hi Blackpool Belle. Have you picked up your Nova yet? Be interested in what you think of it. With regards to the draining board - the Unicorn 3 one we borrowed from a friend fitted perfectly. The one I ordered from Bailey didn't have the tiny 'cut outs' that enable it to slightly overhand the sink, and is also just a bit smaller. Not such a good fit at all, but managed to make some 'cut outs' with the aid of a Stanley knife.

#22 Johnathome

Johnathome

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Towcar:Touareg
  • Caravan:Hymer Eriba Nova S620

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:08 pm

Good news, my S620 is all ready for collection so I'm off to Holland to fetch it on Monday, returning Wednesday. It wasn't due to be rolled off the production line until the week after so I'm well pleased.
  • 007Cruiser likes this

#23 Seaview36

Seaview36

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:walking countryside wildlife cars sailing skiing TV
  • Towcar:Disco 5
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova S 545

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:37 pm

Yay! Good luck with your new van - enjoy it. Make sure you check it over very, very thoroughly and get any snagging sorted while you're near the dealership. Holland is a long way to return for any issues - it seems UK dealers aren't too keen on sorting out warranty problems if they didn't supply the van.

#24 Blackpool Belle

Blackpool Belle

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, wildlife
  • Towcar:-
  • Caravan:-

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:37 pm

We collected our 545 last week & have spent the last 10 days examining every nook & cranny. We go on our maiden voyage next Monday, but so far our opinion is that we really like it.

We had a good handover from Lowdham's Huddersfield  but when towing it home we kept seeing the divider making its way across the van & couldn't get it to stay in place. They hadn't mentioned it & we thought it must be faulty, but 2 days later we discovered the little magnets that hold it back!

We too had a problem with the closure of the toilet door, but a quick adjustment by Mr BB with a screwdriver has sorted it. We've replaced the manual-style microwave with a digital one (personal preference) but I don't know if I'm too keen on having to have the cupboard door open to use it.. ...time will tell. 

Packing it has been a bit of a challenge as only one cupboard & drawer can have the same function as the ones in the Unicorn, but there is so much storage it should work ok. 

Seaview, we've bought a freestanding drainer with built-in tray - £7.75, so if we don't like it its not too dear to replace. Its travelling in the oven! We've also got a mat for the loo - I decided the wooden slats are uncomfortable in bare feet (frequent visits in the middle of the night) & have also added a doormat. 

One question: what do people use the "warming" drawer for? Just looking for ideas.

I've sat in it for elevenses, lunch or drinks most days & love it but I'll report back properly when we've done our short trip. Can't wait!

#25 Steve05

Steve05

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Towcar:Audi SQ5 plus
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 545 Luxusline

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:48 pm

One question: what do people use the "warming" drawer for? Just looking for ideas.

Unless the sun's out we use ours for drying damp towels etc. It's pretty effective.

• Blackpool Belle likes this

#26 Blackpool Belle

Blackpool Belle

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:25 pm

Our first trip in the Nova 545 went very well, and thankfully the weather was nice for the whole 4 days. We're generally very impressed with the van & have mostly sorted out the niggles:

1.We have an onboard tank which should fill from the outside container - the manual gives very little direction, & it took a phonecall to a friend with a Hymer to find out that its necessary to turn a tap on inside the van when switching over pumps.. ..nowhere does it say that.

2. The kettle won't plug in to the socket in the kitchen area as its mounted too close to the worktop & the stiff part of the kettle flex wont bend enough; Mr BB is hopefully going to turn the socket through 180 deg.

3. Only one person has a socket at their bedside, but we've solved the issue of phonecharging overnight (which we always do) by buying a much longer charging flex.

4. I love having the built in fold-out step, but its not the easiest thing to use for getting out of the van - next trip out we will make sure we remember not to leave the double-level step in the porch at home! 

Everything else worked really well & we feel the van is going to suit us. There is so much storage we could never run out, and it tows really well with having the extra length on the A frame. 

#27 SuperRed

SuperRed

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Towcar:ML 250
  • Caravan:Coachman Vip

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:29 am

Spacious, modern, built like a brick convenience.
Long draw bar allows bike carrier.
Gas locker well integrated.
Good payload (310 kg).
Enormous amount of under bed storage, plus yet more at the front.
Semi-circular lounge and 2.4 metre width make it very spacious. The extra width is a bonus throughout the caravan.
Big front window with top part opening is very good. Plenty of light in from all the windows and roof lights.
Lovely big fridge, tall and spacious.
Hot water heating with electric heater as well as gas. Keeps the van toasty all the time in February.
Plenty of 13A sockets.
Nice bathroom; shower a bit snug but works very well.
Click here to view the caravan review

Hi, love the review. I wasn't aware that Kimberley caravans sold Hymer caravans!! Did they do this as a special or is it something they offer normally. I may well contact them to find out more.

#28 Steve05

Steve05

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:12 am

Hi, love the review. I wasn't aware that Kimberley caravans sold Hymer caravans!! Did they do this as a special or is it something they offer normally. I may well contact them to find out more.

We bought from them in 2013, they also had them in 2014 and maybe 15 but I don't think they've stocked them for the last couple of years. Lowdhams might be a better bet.

#29 Blackpool Belle

Blackpool Belle

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:51 pm

Update to the plug problem:

2. The kettle won't plug in to the socket in the kitchen area as its mounted too close to the worktop & the stiff part of the kettle flex wont bend enough; Mr BB is hopefully going to turn the socket through 180 deg.

He's turned one through 90deg and the other through 180 with no problem at all. 

Another small problem solved: we decided to replace the manual microwave with a digital one. The old one came out with no problem, but it plugs into a German socket at the back - we simply bought a converter (our travel ones are too bulky) and popped the new microwave in. 

#30 fred

fred

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Towcar:Toyota Landcrusier
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 590GL

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:29 am

Our of interest how did you fix the new microwave in place?

#31 LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Touring UK and Europe
  • Towcar:VW Touareg 2009 SE
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 580 2016

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:21 pm

The Nottingham branch don't do them but the Darlinton branch do.

Our is a 2016 model bought at the start of 2017.

However I note that they aren't listing them at the moment so they may have decided to stop selling them.

Just a note on the room divider curtain door.

We have one where the magnets in the curtain don't match the magnets in the door so we can't divide the caravan into two.

Just as well there are just the two of us.

Kimberley tell us that Hymer have said that they think the room divider was wrongly manufactured so they are making a new one.

I remain to be convinced because the magnets to hold the room divider open aren't at the same height as the magnets to hold the room divider closed.

However Hymer should have the detailed measurements we sent to Kimberly, so we shall see what turns up.

Edited by LittleGreyCat, 04 September 2017 - 03:37 pm.

#32 LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Touring UK and Europe
  • Towcar:VW Touareg 2009 SE
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 580 2016

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:36 pm

<snip>

Filling the on board water tank was interesting, at the handover I was told that the switch beside the filler needed to be flicked and the supplied 'pump' used to fill the tank from the aquaroll. We tried for ages but eventually had to syphon water into the tank. Transpired that the 'pump' was actually some sort of solenoid valve for mains hook up.

<snip>

Took us a while to work out how the water tank worked; it didn't help that the Hymer manual was in German.

The switch is used to select the internal pump or the external pump (the external pump is powered from the socket next to the switch, and the water pipe plugs into the hole next to it).

More precisely I think it turns off the inboard pump when you are using the external pump but the external pump isn't switched. It always runs if the electrical connection is plugged in even if the internal pump is running as well. Lack of logical design there. You can't just switch between internal and external with both connected up as far as we can see. It would be nice to have both connected and switch from one to the other from inside.

As far as we can see you can have an aqua-roll outside with the pipe fitted or use the inside water tank.

I guess you could fill the on board tank using the external pump but that would require you to turn on a basin tap to make the pump run.

We use the aqua-roll when we aren't near a tap and use a hose pipe to fill the on board tank when we are.

#33 JTQ

JTQ

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:00 pm

Our 2002 and 2008 UK market Novas used the same design of water system.

They could operate drawing water from either an internal tank or an external container, but the one in use needed to be selected on an internal two position rocker switch labelled "internal" and "external".

If using the external container a supplied submersible pump needed to be used, placed into the container, and its pipe snapped into a water connection house in a little locker, plus its electrics plugged into that locker's power point.

The external pump can be used to fill the internal tank or power wash the bike etc drawing water from the container.

In that role, the pumps pipe is not snapped into the water connection, but inserted into the internal tank's filler cap, or directed towards the bike. The pump is then switched on/off by using a small rocker switch housed in the small water connection locker.

There "was" a warning label saying that small rocker switch MUST only be used to power the external pump when the pipe was not connected to the snap in connection. Something about blowing internal pipe fittings? My label has long since faded and fallen off.

The 2002 Nova came with a lovely 16 litre container plus an accessory spout designed to ideally fill the external tank via the cap; or the container could simply be used to house the external pump. By 2008 this excellent accessory was no longer part of the factory supply.

#34 Steve05

Steve05

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:47 pm

Must admit I'm now a bit confused, our van was supplied with a small valve/pump (now not sure what it is :D ) which plugs onto the male hose connection beside the filler cap, it's got a thin wire with jack which plugs into the socket beside the rocker switch.

At hand over I was told this was a pump but, when I couldn't get it to work, was later told it was a solenoid valve to allow mains hook up. Must admit I've never tried it on mains supply.

Thinking I was being clever I fitted a 12v socket inside the locker which I use to power a submersible which fills the onboard tank from the aquaroll. It works well but I'm now starting to think maybe I wasn't so smart after all, has my wiring been a waste of time, is there an easier way to fill the tank???

In my defence my German's a bit rusty and we've only owned the van for 4 years :blush:.

#35 fred

fred

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:53 pm

The design hasn't changed much. The 2015 vintage doesn't have an internal rocker switch which is a pain. But our dealer for reasons unknown fitted an extra whale pump with an external socket. I fitted an internal rocker switch, so my procedure is arrive on site fill aquaroll, fill tank, via pipe into filler point refill Aquaroll and leave pump and pipe connected up. Saves us to having to carry an extra Aquaroll. The supplied pump which is identical to the 2001 version has been used once. You can use it to get water direct from the Aquaroll but the flow is so much less than the pump in the tank we never bother. Another good thing is the internal tank is 50l so bigger than an Aquaroll so not so many accidental overflow issues.

@ Littlegrey cat you should have a manual in English I certainly have. It is very comprehensive but ironically very vague about the water supply. If you need any information I can extract it from ours but really your dealer or Hymer should be able to get you a copy.

#36 Guest_LeicesterLad_*

Guest_LeicesterLad_*

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:08 am

Unfortunately our 580 GL has been booked into Lowdhams Oct 3rd ( probably for a week ) there is apparently a known fault with all the doors on our 'van.

1/. The main door / frame is warped and showing daylight around top corner.

2/. The sliding door into the toilet room, the jamb has fallen off and door top hangers broken.

3/. The sliding curtain is not made to manufacturers recommendations ( the magnets do not align).

Give Lowdhams their do they are on to this for us, though we purchased the 'van elsewhere.

Lowdhams will definitely be servicing our 'van in future.

Ironic really all three doors in the 'van have problems and I own a door company.!!

Happy caravanning, LeicesterLad.

#37 fred

fred

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:58 pm

For information the sliding door hangers are EKU clipo 15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users