Agency Workers!

Seaman

I'm unsure where to post this thread? I was reading some postings on a caravan related Facebook page and came across this quote added below. If there is any truth to this, then I am appalled!!! Are we caravan buyers being taken for a ride or what?

Quote:

Just had an interesting conversation with my daughter who is making a flying visit from Bristol where she and her friends are trying to make their way in life in the low wage insecure workplace that is the UK at the moment. One of her friends is doing some agency work - for a well known producer of Caravans in Bristol. NO experience of caravans - hates them - and he is on the production line - one day roofs, next day wall next day something else. Minimum training and minimum wage. ....he is trying his best, but doesn't really know what he is doing, and isn't really clued up. Why should he, the money is poor and he doesn't like the work. *****, these are the vans we are spending a fortune on. There have been batches of them coming through with quality problems, as we all know, and some leaking like sieves. Not surprising really. Quality control and training needs to be much better. I am sure this is not just this manufacturer. ...Pay peanuts, get monkeys, we pick up the bill. ...

• Like 6

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Well given the amount of quality issues we read about on here personally I wouldn't be surprised if the use of temporary and agency staff wasn't rife throughout the whole industry not just a 'certain caravan manufacturer based in Bristol'.

But I also wonder how much credence to give to a story which is basically third hand.

I would also interested to hear what 'certain caravan manufacturer based in Bristol' has to say on the matter too before forming a definitive opinion. :)

• Like 7

Well TS it was reaped from FB, so who knows? It would not surprise me if it is rife throughout the industry. Like you say, it would be interesting to hear what a certain Bristol based caravan manufacturer has to say. Maybe Welsh agency workers, that would explain the leeks?

• Like 7

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

I think minimum wage and low skill is problem in many sectors . .. some possibly more important than caravan manufacture, perhaps social care for instance.

Agency workers are not the problem, it is (some of) their employers who are the problem; not willing to invest in training for example.

The question is who, or what, drives the low wage economy ?

Edited by jetA1
  • Like 3

People coming from abroad willing to work for next to nothing just to get over here!

• Like 4

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Tax credits are the cause of the low wages. Lots of people earn the minimum but get by with tax credits added. Get rid of tax credits and people will be paid the going rate. Tax credits are a form of subsidy for low paying employers.

• Like 6

Ern

The question that should be asked is, why are people surprised by this?

• Like 2

I was always led to believe that "a certain manufacturer in Bristol" was one of the better employers in the caravan industry as they pay a flat wage and do not use piece work.

Perhaps the chap concerned is an "aggrieved employee" having a swipe at the bosses.

Ian

• Like 3

Sad to say some of us are not . ..

Edited by jetA1
  • Like 1

Why should we be? It's an accepted part of industry.

I work for an aircraft engine manufacturer in the UK (with a facility in Bristol as well!!) and we have been using agency workers for years, ok, some are fine and may eventually get taken on permanently, but others don't give a toss & personally I wouldn't pay them in washers!!

• Like 1

This story is off a Facebook page so is unlikely to be true. Just rumour and 3rd hand gossip.

• Like 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Agency workers are used throughout every type of industry all over the UK, they work on things a lot more important and valuable than any caravan.

Normally used for a short term fix if someone is off sick or factory is particularly busy.

• Like 2

In bye gone days I occasionally had to employ agency staff for HGV duties. Despite the agency claim that these people were experienced, I found most of them perhaps had an HGV license, but fell far short of being lorry drivers.

As previously posted, some didn't give a hoot about anything pertaining to the job.

In bye gone days I occasionally had to employ agency staff for HGV duties. Despite the agency claim that these people were experienced, I found most of them perhaps had an HGV license, but fell far short of being lorry drivers.

As previously posted, some didn't give a hoot about anything pertaining to the job.

I know this is the case which is a shame because when someone half decent, professional and qualified turns up (like me for instance :) ) you get treated like something the cat dragged in . .. most recent experience was about 9 months ago, some places you were treated so poorly, not even access to a toilet. I accept that some drivers don't give their best but for anyone half decent it can be quite a humiliating experience.

• Like 2

let's have a reality check here. Most companies now pay the minimum wage. I worked for a large company that put a ceiling on the wages of long term employees so that the rest of the work force could catch up. A lot of companies use agency workers, especially large companies to cover their busy times. Lots of people in repetitive work find it boring, that is why they rotate them to different jobs. Many people do not take pride in their work anymore. At one time you could be sacked on the spot for turning out poor work but now you have to have warnings etc. We know that the caravan industry needs to vastly improve and I don't have the solution to that one.

• Like 2

Happy Days

Perhaps the OP should have checked with " the certain caravan manufacturer in Bristol " for their comments before spreading another FB " story " as fact.

• Like 2

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Perhaps the OP should have checked with " the certain caravan manufacturer in Bristol " for their comments before spreading another FB " story " as fact.

I don't think the OP is spreading the story as 'fact', it is quite clearly stated that the story came from Facebook, so we can all make up our own minds. The OP specifically states "if there is any truth" which to my mind leaves it open to interpretation and discussion.

In my opinion it is more likely to have a grain of truth than some of the many 'fake news' stories which are an everyday occurrence on Facebook.

• Like 2

Interesting that I have read this thread on the same day as reading leakypallermo's thread and seeing the photo of his roof (http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/117707-brand-new-pegasus-palermo-leaking/page-4).

This story is off a Facebook page so is unlikely to be true. Just rumour and 3rd hand gossip.

However as none of us car verify or discredit the story, is there an answer as to whether it is true or not?

True or not, I get my news from various sources, none of which are FB.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

True or not I guess the fact is that we all want cheaper caravans and they are built to a cost.

I think agency work is widespread, it's very easy for any company to phone an agency and get staff rather than go through the whole employment hassle. It is probably very similar to zero hours contracts.

True or not, I get my news from various sources, none of which are FB.

Luckily I am not a member of the FB club so not aware of fake news stuff, but either way we should have open minds until proved otherwise.

• Like 2

Not read all posts, but I love the assumptions that Fb must be fake news and other sources must be true, presumably because they are 'news' sites.

I assume everything I read on CT must also be true?

I am, of course, being mischievous.

Edited by Tonyv
  • Like 1

What doesn't really surprise me that if the story is true, that whoever he is, doesn't give a toss about what he's doing, can't be bothered to put effort in to learning it and resents the fact that he's there. Also I'm not really surprised that everyone seems to be jumping to his defence and blaming it on the "system"

Perhaps if he was motivated by actually having a job and felt that by putting some effort in, he'd actually desrve to get a bit more rather than expecting that he should be given wages higher than his level of expertise and commitment, just because he thinks he's worth it. I dont expect him to be grateful but trying a bit harder raher than whinging about his lot might help

If he doesn't like it, why doesn't he go somewhere else and give up moaning about it - he actually doesn't have an entitlement to a job, nor should he feel entitled to the rest of us keeping him going because he desn't like what he's doing

I started out doing a job I wasn't keen on at wages lower than an apprentice but I didn't whinge about it. I tried a bit harder, learned how to do it properly, even went to night scholl to improve my prospects and struggled my way up the greasy pole.

Edited by matelodave