Isabella Awning - Wheel Cover?

LittleGreyCat

Just a quick question.

We have our new Isabella Commodore Seed and are waiting for a bit of dry to give it a test run.

The skirt to run along side the van is one long parallel run, and there is an extra piece as a wheel cover.

This is square(ish) and with press studs along one side and a normal awning bead along the other. We also have a pack of screw on press studs.

It looks as though you are expected to screw the studs to the side of the van to clip on the cover.

Our Hymer Nova 580 has a curved awning channel around the wheel arch.

I haven't tried it yet, but would a square(ish) cover still work if it is fed into a curved channel?

Just wondering if you have to get a special cover profiled to fit the wheel arch or screw press studs to the side wall (which I don't really want to do).

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

Isabella do a really neat wheel arch cover consisting of a slim aluminium rail that sticks to the van side above the wheel arch. The rectangle of material has a bead along the bottom with a double channel to link it to the draught skirt while the top edge is folded over a nylon rod which feeds into the aluminium channel. Difficult to describe but take a look here

delivered by Steve Biggs in his inimitable style!

• Like 2

I am not sure if it will fit but Isabella make a wheel cover for Bailey caravans which have the same awning channel around the wheel arch. There are two different ones for Bailey caravans as the earlier models have a more squared wheel arch than later ones.

A square one definitely won't fit properly, it needs to be shaped to the wheel arch.

Mark

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Draftstoppa for us everytime. And no holes to drill into the van sides.

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We use a couple of strong suckers which hold it in place nicely. I wouldn't want to drill holes or glue stuff to the side of our caravan.

• Like 1

Ern

The Isabella item is very neat and looks like it might have been fitted by the caravan manufacturer. Its only downside is that it is just a double version of the single axle model. The nylon rod referred to in post#2 is in 2 parts as well making it fiddly to fit. I replaced mine with a single length from a local blind supplier

• Like 1

Why do awning manufacturers still supply fixings that require screwing to the caravan side?

Surely anybody knows that doing so would render your damp ingress warranty null and void?

+1

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

I looked at the Draftstoppa and it was too big and clunky for my taste (we're all different and no criticism implied).

Over the years I've used screwed-on pop studs. ...given the rampant damp in that van a couple more holes with some gloop didn't add anything noticeable. ...and I've tried suckers too and they were useless, although to be fair they would have been fine if it hadn't been for the textured skin on that Swift!

I've eventually settled on the Isabella jobbie shown above by Tuningdrew which suits me fine. I had to move it between vans once and with some careful easing it came off cleanly and with some new sticky foam tape went onto the next van just fine.

Rolls up very tidily when removed and no draughts when fitted and dead easy to fit once you set it up properly. ...recommended :)

• Like 1

We had a draghtstoppa on our Lunar, good idea but so fiddly to fit. That's when I discovered the Isabella one.

Just had a peep at it Graham, seems simple, quick and effective

Les

Isabella do a really neat wheel arch cover consisting of a slim aluminium rail that sticks to the van side above the wheel arch. The rectangle of material has a bead along the bottom with a double channel to link it to the draught skirt while the top edge is folded over a nylon rod which feeds into the aluminium channel. Difficult to describe but take a look here

Our brand new Isabella didn't come with that; just the version with the press studs.

Still not convinced I want to fix things to our brand new shiny.

I will contact Isabella about shaped wheel covers.

Hymer Nova 580 2016 and VW Touareg 2009 SE

Needed something a bit more substantial and less fiddly, also needed to be cat escape proof so made my own from thin plywood and retain it in place with a bungee.

No holes anywhere or suckers to possibly lose their suction.

post-1814-0-81262000-1489224283_thumb.jpg

post-1814-0-18189300-1489224397_thumb.jpg

post-1814-0-89350800-1489224416_thumb.jpg

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I just bought a Kampa wheel cover and it comes with Kampa Limpets to stick to the side of the van, used it last weekend and the limpets are superb.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

Why do awning manufacturers still supply fixings that require screwing to the caravan side?

Surely anybody knows that doing so would render your damp ingress warranty null and void?

Presumably only if water ingress was directly attributable to the addition of press studs or similar.

Before our Isabella fitted wheel arch cover, we used a couple of suction cup hooks.

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

OP.

Get one of these no poppers to attach to caravan. They do the single or twin. Had one for many years, we keep it in the table storage area. Apart from making one, I have not found nothing better. There's a video on U tube on how to fit it.

http://www. jaiddesigns. co. uk/

Edited by David P

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Presumably only if water ingress was directly attributable to the addition of press studs or similar.

Before our Isabella fitted wheel arch cover, we used a couple of suction cup hooks.

Quite possibly so but when you think about the wheel arch area and the tendency for that to be an area where damp often occurs it strikes me you are giving a manufacturer a ready made 'get out of jail free' card if damp is detected there. Even if the source actually wasn't the holes drilled by the owner.

Fitted the above on our Buccaneer yesterday and it looks really neat.

I have covered my wheels the same as Griffs, but I used shop sign material which I cut to shape & fixed plastic awning rail to it, now just tucks under the skirts job done, no gaps no drafts, no holes in the van, I cut two & use them to cover the wheels when not in use

Coachman Platinum Pastiche 560/4

Santa Fe Premium 2. 2 CRDi manual 7 seat

Kampa Air Ace 400

I have used Velcro pads but then managed to get hold of some YKK Snads, a low profile stick-on plastic popper disc, they come as either male or female versions. Often used in the boating world to fit covers and screens without screws.

Dave.