#1 matelodave

matelodave

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,627 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:42 pm

My Cadiz 3 has just had its 2nd service and been diagnosed with 42% damp at the rear off-side. The dealer reckons that he can't look at it until June at the earliets because of the number of damp repairs that he's got scheduled in already.

He did however empahasis that it was all marques and not just Bailey's.

I'm really upset as this is my fifth Bailey van and the only one that's had a problem - just have to go with it at the moment but it's taken the shine off what we thought was our keep forever van

#2 Disco4

Disco4

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:15 pm

Toilet area? Mine's waiting for warranty repairs for damp in that area. As I've not seen any other reports, I'd assumed it was a leak of some description from the flush (or user error) in my case.

Hey ho, it'll be fixed (at a time that I'm not using the van), van's perfectly usable in meantime, I'm not losing sleep over it.

#3 matelodave

matelodave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:36 pm

Actually it's not the toilet area, it's the area under the wardrobe adjacent to the toilet but its showing in the  o/s corner of the van both at the back and the side.

I thought it might have been misuse of the loo but we dont normally travel with the flush or waste tank with anything in them so it's unlikely. The dealer reckons that it could be capilliary action of water running under the van and then wicking up the bolts that fix the side to the floor.

I know it'll get fixed but it's still a bit galling.

#4 Despicable

Despicable

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Beer, reading, walking, current affairs and more beer
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cadiz

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:42 pm

My Cadiz 3 has just had its 2nd service and been diagnosed with 42% damp at the rear off-side. The dealer reckons that he can't look at it until June at the earliets because of the number of damp repairs that he's got scheduled in already.

I'm really upset as this is my fifth Bailey van and the only one that's had a problem - just have to go with it at the moment but it's taken the shine off what we thought was our keep forever van

Actually it's not the toilet area, it's the area under the wardrobe adjacent to the toilet but its showing in the  o/s corner of the van both at the back and the side.

I thought it might have been misuse of the loo but we dont normally travel with the flush or waste tank with anything in them so it's unlikely. The dealer reckons that it could be capilliary action of water running under the van and then wicking up the bolts that fix the side to the floor.

Mortified, Matelotdave. My 'van's 2nd service is not until early April, we had an issue of the roof seal leaking a few months after purchase, but after the dealer (sales manager, not mechanic*) squirted a load of sealant over the seam everything seems fine. Hope the cause of your issue is sorted and is not a Cadiz 3-wide issue.

(* just because he was a sales manager doesn't necessarily mean he's not a qualified engineer or even a brain surgeon)

#5 Disco4

Disco4

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:35 pm

Interesting - guess mine could be the same, I just presumed mine was the toilet. So long as it's fixed, worst things happen in life.

#6 John W

John W

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:52 pm

Apart from the roof join, yours is the first U3 I have heard of with a leak elsewhere.

Hope it gets fixed quickly, lets also hope it is a one off.

#7 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:"Happy Camping"

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:40 pm

The dealer reckons that it could be capilliary action of water running under the van and then wicking up the bolts that fix the side to the floor.

Blimey that rings a bell with me from the original and face lifted Pegasus . .. if its true,  the problem would have gone around full circle..

Sincerely hope you get it sorted quickly . .

#8 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Family. Dog. Caravaning. Trail Walking.
  • Towcar:Honda CRV SE manual 2012
  • Caravan:Unicorn Cadiz Mk 3

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:31 pm

Could it possibly be a small leak from the Alde expansion tank or condensation forming on these pipes and running down to floor level. Condensation seems to form on these pipes at the rear when the dew point is just right, and this area seems to be the coldest part of the van. A reading taken  at this point would give a high damp reading. Its maybe worth removing the pipe covers in this area and just having a look for damp on the pipes or tank, its 4 screws. I have witnessed this condensation over the winter and only when the temperature is just right; and only on a few days. My van is due its second service in a week and I will be interested to see how it fares, and my theory!!!

#9 matelodave

matelodave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:47 pm

I haven't really looked, as far as I'm concerned it's under warranty and they should sort it out. The floor in the wardrobe (under the dirty linen basket feels dry to the touch but the prods on the damp meter penetrate the floor covering so they can measure the wood underneath it.. We've had a hell of a lot of rain in the last couple of weeks so it's possible that water has been wicking allong the bottom of the van and creeping up.

The dealer reckons that the vinyl flooring traps any water underneath it so it can't evaporate.It's not the first one he's seen but then again he hasn't seen many with a problem so it doesn't seem to be common.

We're a bit busy for the next few days but I'll try and get a better look myself when I get some time. It's not going to stop me using the van, just a pain having to trawl it back and forth to get it fixed. They won't give me a date until Bailey have authorised it but they dont see any problems there.  

However my slight concern is that if the offside has a problem that they can measure what's happening under the shower tray, where they can't

#10 JimC

JimC

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Course fishing,
    Ice Hockey
  • Towcar:2009 Mondeo 140 zetec
  • Caravan:2017 Bailey Unicorn Vigo

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:15 pm

My friend had the same problem with his Cadiz at the same place, it was condensation on the Alde pipes as mentioned.

#11 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Vanning, Archery, Woodwork.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2014 Kx3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 3

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:29 pm

Could it possibly be a small leak from the Alde expansion tank or condensation forming on these pipes and running down to floor level. Condensation seems to form on these pipes at the rear when the dew point is just right, and this area seems to be the coldest part of the van. A reading taken  at this point would give a high damp reading. Its maybe worth removing the pipe covers in this area and just having a look for damp on the pipes or tank, its 4 screws. I have witnessed this condensation over the winter and only when the temperature is just right; and only on a few days. My van is due its second service in a week and I will be interested to see how it fares, and my theory!!!

That is very interesting.  Not something I have come across in the van I thought.  Then I thought again. On some vans  I have with the Loo when the flushing tank is full of cold water.  Condensation forms on the outside.  One van was particularly susceptible.

It may be possible to insulate the plain Pipe runs of the Alde with appropriate lagging but obviously not the finned rads.

If possible could the area under the pipes be covered in Plastic or a plastic tray.  If you dust this with something like Talcum Powder and leave it, then it will show if any water is forming on the pipes and dripping off over a period of time.  

#12 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:17 pm

The area in question is a place I very rarely look, but late last year I removed the laundry bag and found what I originally thought was an Alde leak or damp. I removed the alde pipe cover leading from the expansion tank and found the pipes were wet,including the base of the tank; this seemed to back-up the diagnosis. I wiped the pipes  dried the floor(not a lot of water) and monitored this for a number of weeks. I only found a repeat of symptoms when it was cold and not everytime,this led me down the dew point avenue. I have considered lagging the pipes and still may; but condensation will only form somewhere else!.

I also had the alde fluid changed during this period and discussed the problem with the fitter; who agreed with what I thought and said there was no leak or loss of coolant. I have never needed to top-up the coolant so it all points in the direction of condensation. I accept any van will experience condensation and the alde pipes at the rear would be an ideal place to find it. The proof of the pudding will be my service next week. I will report how it goes ,fingers crossed.

#13 pjapk

pjapk

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Interests:Photography & Caravanning!
  • Towcar:Discovery Sport SE Tech 180
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn III Cadiz

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:41 pm

Ouch! Not great news. I was holding my breath for our Cadiz 2nd service in November but it came back with flying colours (so far). 15% max reading from what I can recall which I believe is pretty decent.

I have definitely noticed reasonable amounts of condensation on the toilet flush tank has has been mentioned though.

I've also seen increasing reports of the roof join leaking so that's one I intend keeping an eye on as well.

I'm hoping that because mine is an early model (gas point on O/S & front locker further backwards) that perhaps it was built before the rush so hopefully with a little more care & attention!

#14 Oldroamer

Oldroamer

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, fishing, photography.
  • Towcar:Outlander
  • Caravan:Unicorn3 Madrid

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:48 pm

Hi Dave, add me to the list. My Madrid has shown a 50% damp reading on the offside at the second service. Strangely the damp patch seems to be small and localised and is in what we call the airing cupboard in the washroom. It is also directly under the two vertical pipes running from the Alde expansion tank.
The van entrance door also needs to be replaced and a new frame bonded in as sunlight can be seen entering at the side of the door (when we have sunlight!). And the ATC light is inoperative.
As you say it does take the shine off. Let's hope we both have a quick and satisfactory resolution to these problems as like you I have been totally happy with this van.
Brian

#15 sureflow

sureflow

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:46 pm

The area in question is a place I very rarely look, but late last year I removed the laundry bag and found what I originally thought was an Alde leak or damp. I removed the alde pipe cover leading from the expansion tank and found the pipes were wet,including the base of the tank; this seemed to back-up the diagnosis. I wiped the pipes  dried the floor(not a lot of water) and monitored this for a number of weeks. I only found a repeat of symptoms when it was cold and not everytime,this led me down the dew point avenue. I have considered lagging the pipes and still may; but condensation will only form somewhere else!.

I also had the alde fluid changed during this period and discussed the problem with the fitter; who agreed with what I thought and said there was no leak or loss of coolant. I have never needed to top-up the coolant so it all points in the direction of condensation. I accept any van will experience condensation and the alde pipes at the rear would be an ideal place to find it. The proof of the pudding will be my service next week. I will report how it goes ,fingers crossed.

Van back from second service damp readings between 12-18. I am not crowing though , as it seems damp appears at  random in this model. The dealer picked-up 2 defects I wasnt aware of, a split in the drain hose leading from the shower and the padded surround on the front heiki/large front window.They replaced the hose and ordered a new surround under

warranty. A week now in Dorset airing the van after winter.

#16 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Vanning, Archery, Woodwork.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2014 Kx3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 3

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:52 pm

Hi Dave, add me to the list. My Madrid has shown a 50% damp reading on the offside at the second service. Strangely the damp patch seems to be small and localised and is in what we call the airing cupboard in the washroom. It is also directly under the two vertical pipes running from the Alde expansion tank.
The van entrance door also needs to be replaced and a new frame bonded in as sunlight can be seen entering at the side of the door (when we have sunlight!). And the ATC light is inoperative.
As you say it does take the shine off. Let's hope we both have a quick and satisfactory resolution to these problems as like you I have been totally happy with this van.
Brian

The condensation on the Alde pipes appears to be gathering credence as a theory.  Should be easy to prove and well worth doing before letting someone rip the van apart.  

#17 matelodave

matelodave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:18 pm

That's about where my damp is as well - the thing is it won't be cold enough now for condensation to form until next November/December.

I've taken the wardrobe base out to help ventilation to see if it dries out a bit and then i'll try a hose over the back of the van to see if the damp comes back although for some reason rain seems to get in where hosepipes cannot reach

I can't really see it being condensation as the pipework will be the same temperature as the rest of the van or warmer if the the heating is on. The stuff that collects on the toilet flush tank is usually because you've just put cold water into a warm van

#18 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Interests:"Happy Camping"

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:22 pm

That's about where my damp is as well - the thing is it won't be cold enough now for condensation to form until next November/December.

I've taken the wardrobe base out to help ventilation to see if it dries out a bit and then i'll try a hose over the back of the van to see if the damp comes back although for some reason rain seems to get in where hosepipes cannot reach

I can't really see it being condensation as the pipework will be the same temperature as the rest of the van or warmer if the the heating is on. The stuff that collects on the toilet flush tank is usually because you've just put cold water into a warm van

The only condensation Alde mention is the positioning of radiators below windows to prevent condensation on & around windows http://www.alde.co.uk/design.php

They also mention cupboard airflow which I would image you have . . but you never know.

On your damp patch, is there a mounting wall to floor bolt beneath the area of it.(underside of the floor)

#19 xtrailman

xtrailman

Prestige member with over 10000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,793 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!
  • Towcar:Mazda
  • Caravan:Swift

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:02 am

I felt the same about our U1, intended to keep it the full 10 years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cadiz 3, damp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users