New Towbar Paint.

tiz

Rotary wire brush attachment in an electric drill.

I always use this method.

And as I swap between Caravan, Car Transporter, Building Trailer and Tip Rubbish Trailer I'm always greasing up and removing grease. Get through a lot of degreaser. :)

Even have a "Clean" and "Dirty" tow ball cover.

Lee

• Like 1

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

I have a trailer with a tarpaulin as well the caravan and get around the problem by not greasing the towball when towing the trailer. The journeys involved are too short to warrant the trouble of greasing and degreasing.

The majority of caravans, including my caravan, in the storage site where my caravan is stored do not have stabilisers fitted.

The towball on my towing vehicle is both shiny and greased.

I haven't removed any paint off my swan neck and don't intend too with any other ball I get in the future.

I also have two sets of spare pads if I ever need to fit them.

The hitch will remove any paint that's required. If the pads get a little paint on them so what, clean them or replace them as you wish.

I haven't removed any paint off my swan neck and don't intend too with any other ball I get in the future.

I also have two sets of spare pads if I ever need to fit them.

The hitch will remove any paint that's required. If the pads get a little paint on them so what, clean them or replace them as you wish.

The removal of the paint is to prevent the pads from becoming contaminated and therefore being ineffective and not doing the job that thousands of pounds were invested into the making/testing of them.

The most commonly tell-tale for contaminated pads is the low-speed squeals and off noises that come from the hitch and especially over uneven surfaces and into tight turns.

The issue of grease on the ball and one that then is transferred immediately to the pads is a major safety issue and the caravan might just as-well be tied on to the back of a tow-vehicle with string as there would be absolutely no restraint which the pads are designed to do.

The reason why Emery Cloth/Paper is the preferred choice of those that want the job doing and doing properly is because it is 'A Cloth' and will easily shape to the shape of the ball and with circulatory actions between the ball in one hand and the Emery Cloth in the palm of the other the desired effect is quickly and very easily achieved. It will stay intact unlike other abrasive materials/papers that will split and break-down.

The local chap that has been doing my tow-bar and towing-related work since late 1979 uses nothing else and won't.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

The removal of the paint is to prevent the pads from becoming contaminated and therefore being ineffective and not doing the job that thousands of pounds were invested into the making/testing of them.

The most commonly tell-tale for contaminated pads is the low-speed squeals and off noises that come from the hitch and especially over uneven surfaces and into tight turns.

The issue of grease on the ball and one that then is transferred immediately to the pads is a major safety issue and the caravan might just as-well be tied on to the back of a tow-vehicle with string as there would be absolutely no restraint which the pads are designed to do.

The reason why Emery Cloth/Paper is the preferred choice of those that want the job doing and doing properly is because it is 'A Cloth' and will easily shape to the shape of the ball and with circulatory actions between the ball in one hand and the Emery Cloth in the palm of the other the desired effect is quickly and very easily achieved. It will stay intact unlike other abrasive materials/papers that will split and break-down.

The local chap that has been doing my tow-bar and towing-related work since late 1979 uses nothing else and won't.

What makes you think I didn't know the reasons for removing the paint?

What makes you think I didn't know the reasons for removing the paint?

Hi xtm. I don't think that you don't know the reasons for doing what is recommended by the tow-ball manufactures and the caravanning industry in general.

What is from the onset and practiced regularly to remove tarnish and other unwanted surface contaminants and becomes an essential piece of regular maintenance before attaching a caravan - on the face of it - you have a total disregard for that advice.

Your rather blaze' statement would lead me and possibly others to believe that you have a third party that performs that essential task.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I wondered in another post that since the paint was so hard to remove and had a smooth finish,on the ball I bought last year,at least whether the pads would have much effect on it if it wasn't removed. Though once I realised it was going to be tough to get off,it was too late and had to finish the job. I suppose there's only one way to find out and Xtm is doing it. I'm not going to buy another ball to prove a point.

Hi xtm. I don't think that you don't know the reasons for doing what is recommended by the tow-ball manufactures and the caravanning industry in general.

What is from the onset and practiced regularly to remove tarnish and other unwanted surface contaminants and becomes an essential piece of regular maintenance before attaching a caravan - on the face of it - you have a total disregard for that advice.

Your rather blaze' statement would lead me and possibly others to believe that you have a third party that performs that essential task.

You talk as if having a stabilizer is an essential piece of equipment, it isn't.

I find it amusing reading some of the posts, especially when I see tow tests being performed with at times a painted ball. For years many towers claimed there was no need to even have a stabilizer, how times have changed.

You talk as if having a stabilizer is an essential piece of equipment, it isn't.

I find it amusing reading some of the posts, especially when I see tow tests being performed with at times a painted ball. For years many towers claimed there was no need to even have a stabilizer, how times have changed.

Hi again xtm. No I do not and never have - I have towed far more miles and for much longer periods without a stabiliser than with one - both the exterior mounted type and the integral pad type - both Alko & BPW.

The advances in towing and caravan technology often breeds contempt for others on the road and the safety aspects and the risks that they are designed to alleviate.

A classic example is the ABS Braking System - the biggest and most powerful brakes are totally useless if the tyres that connect you to the road surface are bald or lacking in tread depth.

First caravan we bought came with a stabiliser. Never towed before so tow ball still painted. Dealer just hitched it up and let us set off with it. The groaning noise made me investigate the cause resulting in an immediate trip to Halfords for the required supplies. Suffice to say won't be going back to that dealer.

I use medium sandpaper and always have done as the idea is not to polish the ball but leave a surface for the pads to grip .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The swan neck l have is anodised but will still remove it

Heethers
Lunar Clubman SB
07 ShogunSWB

Get rid of that fitter, he's rubbish - should know better - do you trust the rest of his work, I wouldn't.

Harsh. .. maybe the fitter tows an older van without a stabiliser hitch? Who knows.

• Like 1

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

Harsh. .. maybe the fitter tows an older van without a stabiliser hitch? Who knows.

I don't think it's harsh. If he fits tow bars, he should know you need to remove the paint to prevent damage to the stabiliser pads.

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I don't think it's harsh. If he fits tow bars, he should know you need to remove the paint to prevent damage to the stabiliser pads.

A towbar is used to tow trailers and caravans which don't all have an Alko stabilizer fitted.

How does his lack of knowledge of caravan stabiliser hitches affect his ability to actually fit a tow bar so badly that we shouldn't trust his work (despite never having actually encountered it)?

One might argue that the user of a tow bar should know that the paint needs to be removed without having to ask but having asked the question, does that throw his ability to tow a caravan into doubt?

Presumably, if the tow bar fitters work was not to be trusted, he wouldn't be employed as a tow bar fitter?

Too quick to judge with too little to form a reasonable judgement - very sad.

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting a new car later this week and my wife has read or heard somewhere that when using a Alko hitch the paint must be removed from the towball before using it, is this the case? What's the best way to remove it?

I'm getting a new car later this week and my wife has read or heard somewhere that when using a Alko hitch the paint must be removed from the towball before using it, is this the case? What's the best way to remove it?

Yes you should remove the paint so that it is bright steel. Otherwise the paint will be worn off by the tow hitch and clog the parts that grip the tow ball. I use fine grit paper. You should also use a towball cover when not towing to keep it clean.

• Like 1

Regards Dave

Volvo XC70 AWD & Lunar Clubman SB

http://wandering. me. uk/

I have used very fine emery paper with a wash afterwards with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Some have used wire wool then a wash with brake cleaner.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Easiest method I have found is Nitromors paint stripper, washed thoroughly afterwards and cleaned up with brake cleaner.

• Like 2

Any of these will work well. ..enjoy new car

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Yep +1 for paint stripper

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Coarse sand paper initially, then fine emery paper and water.

It would be a time consuming job using only fine emery paper, it took 15-20 minutes to do mine.

Edited by Sea&Sand

Easiest method I have found is Nitromors paint stripper, washed thoroughly afterwards and cleaned up with brake cleaner.

+2 Lot less effort than an abrasive paper. (Other paint stripper brands are available and may be as effective - I had an old tin when I last needed to strip the paint off a ball.)

NB I've read to avoid using wire wool as it leaves small particles embedded that rust quickly, if you do go down the abrasives route.

But any solvent will do to clean up (I favour IPA as I have it, but lighter fluid is also good to clean off the paint stripper remains). IPA on a rag is used every trip on ball and to wipe over hitch frction pads. Brake cleaner is good for this, too. (Go for that if buying anything especially for this job).

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.