Complete idiot

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Interests:Italian . Art. Social.
  • Towcar:Xtrail T31
  • Caravan:sprite Freestyle SE SB

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:14 am

Setting up the TV seems to be on everyone's lists, are we the only ones who don't have TV in the caravan?

We have but don't usually set it up. . As we rarely watch it!!!

#102 Fireman Iain

Fireman Iain

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Towcar:Freelander2
  • Caravan:Swift Kudos 530sb

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:27 am

Hi Poppymay. Your post made me smile - not in a condescending way but in an understanding exactly what you're saying/feeling way.
My wife and I bought our first caravan over a year ago now and I can tell you, hitching up the first few times for me personally, was stressful. I put it down to being hyper organised and hyper vigilant - that's my personally type - I'm a worrier.
Now I'm a 43 year old guy; I passed an advanced driving course on my motorbike; I passed my HGV and emergency blue light driving test via the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (I'm a retained fireman), so I class myself as your standard hairy chested bloke that oozes testosterone - or so I think. And obviously I can naturally reverse a large trailer and need absolutely no tuition!!! And I still found hitching and pitching stressful.
I worried about tankslappers (we call that the same on a bike); I worried about getting to the camp site and not being able to site the thing without seasoned vets wetting themselves laughing; I worried about the caravan coming off the tow ball (50mm holding the thing on to your car!!); I wind the jockey wheel up and down up and down to make sure it's not going to pop off the tow ball. The list was endless.
But like everything else, after a good bit of caravanning last year (10 or 11 weekends) and a week away this month, it's safe to say it has started to become second nature.
My wife has the inside permanently stocked with all our cosmetics and non-perishables ready to go. The bedding is always in the thing and only comes out to get washed like the towels etc and is put right back. All we do before heading off after work on a Friday, is stock the thing full of food on the Thursday and turn the fridge on and throw some clothes in it.
We are hitched up and ready to go in 20 mins.
It has become so much less stressful. Go through your habitual safety checks that will become second nature and off you go. For us (and we are all different) the key is having the van stocked full of most things you need.
Jonny

Blimey Sheltie, are you my Scottish doppelgänger? I'm 43, advanced rider, LGV, a fireman and EFAD qualified. We've had our caravan just over a year and I went through all the same stresses as you when we first started. Needless to say we've developed our safety check routine now, and as you say, it becomes second nature.
  • Sheltie likes this

#103 Keefmac

Keefmac

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Towcar:Kuga 2l Diesel TitaniumX Powershift
  • Caravan:Sterling Moonstone

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:57 am

We don't have a TV in ours but like listening to the radio later on with a glass of wine!.

Might invest in a decent ariel and a DAB unit..

#104 moorgate

moorgate

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Travel

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:06 am

I am well over the 50 years of Caravanning mark and can say I have made it easier and easier, I have on board water instead of aquarolls, use site washrooms and showers instead of hauling water to and fro, have no awning of any sort, no satellite dish to set up, no cadacs or barbecues, no table top fridges and freezers, no potted plants to water, no dogs to take for toilets, and I have learned lots of sites with pitches where I can tow in and tow out - even overnights where I don't have to unhitch. Cutting the kit and equipment has made things easy even at my age.
  • Pheasant and Keefmac like this

#105 Sheltie

Sheltie

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, walking, films and family time.
  • Towcar:Nissan Navara
  • Caravan:Bailey Pursuit 560-5

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:18 am

Blimey Sheltie, are you my Scottish doppelgänger? I'm 43, advanced rider, LGV, a fireman and EFAD qualified. We've had our caravan just over a year and I went through all the same stresses as you when we first started. Needless to say we've developed our safety check routine now, and as you say, it becomes second nature.

Ha ha ha, it's a funny old world.  Although to be fair to you Iain, I'm a part-time fireman.  The good old EFAD - days hammering around Inverness with a very very grumpy Glaswegian sub-officer (in old money) from the training dept shouting in my left ear!!.   I can still hear him when I drive around roundabouts.

This forum is the place to learn and I hope to pass on my many mistakes to fellow members, in the hope they don't repeat them!

Jonny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users