Poppymay

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Towcar:Citroen Xsara Picasso
  • Caravan:Abbey Expression 470 (1998)

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:50 pm

We have been away once in our new (2nd hand!) caravan, and it was all a bit stressful. I was very nervous towing it and it all seemed to take an age to get set up and pack away after.

We had thought that we would go away for weekends, but it felt like such a massive expedition! 

My question is - does it all get easier (and quicker)? (Towing, setting up etc...)

Thanks a lot! 

#2 g7eor

g7eor

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Ham Radio. Scuba Diving
  • Towcar:L&K Yeti 170
  • Caravan:Fairway 584

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:56 pm

Yes

• iansoady and OLD NICK like this

#3 Tin_Snail

Tin_Snail

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Towcar:Vauxhall Antara 2.2D SE Nav 4x4
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger 640 SE T/A

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:59 pm

We have been away once in our new (2nd hand!) caravan, and it was all a bit stressful. I was very nervous towing it and it all seemed to take an age to get set up and pack away after.

We had thought that we would go away for weekends, but it felt like such a massive expedition! 

My question is - does it all get easier (and quicker)? (Towing, setting up etc...)

Thanks a lot! 

Yes.

You develop a 'system', often unspoken about who does what, after a few times you will find it becomes more pleasurable.

Practice makes perfect as the saying goes.

#4 Lowlight

Lowlight

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Green Laning, Motocross, Road Racing, Life!
  • Towcar:Land Rover Defender 90
  • Caravan:Avondale Rialto 530 - 5

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:02 pm

This will be my second full year at it and yes - it does get easier! I tow a lot so didn't have an issue there bar knowing where the rear corners are.

Everything else gets easier as you find different ways to set up and everyone I've spoken to on a site has been really helpful and willing to share their experience which helps

#5 Ern

Ern

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  • Interests:Europe travel.
    Living a long time.
  • Towcar:Volvo V70 SEL 2.4D Geartronic
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:07 pm

Yes it does. The stressfull experience you describe should not be like that even when you are a beginner.
  • blondchaser likes this

#6 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, historic motorsport, my dogs.
  • Towcar:2014 Kia Sorento KX-2
  • Caravan:2016 Swift Conqueror 645

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:11 pm

The first few times for us were a bit stressful but as others will tell you it gets easier as time goes by. Don't be afraid to ask for help or accept it if offered. Work as a team and make notes and lists and refer to them, particularly the hitching up and setting up. It may help to go away for a few weekends before putting up your awning, contrary to caravan folklore an awning is not a divorce in a bag!

If towing is causing a concern, put yourself through one of the Caravan Club's towing courses. It will give your confidence a boost.

Enjoy your experiences.

• BillySmart and joanie like this

#7 Dillon200

Dillon200

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:caravan, Motorbike, Fishing
  • Towcar:Vito Sport
  • Caravan:Elddis 840

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:13 pm

Yes definitely gets easier. We look back and laugh at our first couple of outings the mistakes we made and learned from. Stick with it and you'll soon be an expert.

• shipbroker, donb, Jamdan and 1 other like this

#8 Poppymay

Poppymay

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Towcar:Citroen Xsara Picasso
  • Caravan:Abbey Expression 470 (1998)

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:17 pm

Thank you so much, everyone, that has reassured me a lot! :Thankyou:

#9 tom_1989

tom_1989

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Road Steam Engines + other vintage vehicles
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento
  • Caravan:Abbey spectrum 520

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:38 pm

After a few more trips you will settle in to everything and it will all become easier. Towing should become second nature and you will find yourself not checking mirrors on every corner as you will just know it's fine.

If you found setting up and pulling down too much just take less stuff to start.
If I am not putting the awning up I can be sat down with a beer in my hand in under 15mins from pulling onto the pitch and 5 mins of that is walking to the water point and filling the barrel. Trick is to get the caravan pretty much as you want it before you leave.

#10 Leedslad

Leedslad

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts
  • Towcar:VW Passat Alltrack 2.0L TDI 6 Speed manual.
  • Caravan:Coachman Vision 450/2 ( towing at about 77% ).

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:48 pm

It does get easier and the chances are that you will come to love it.  It don't remember feeling stressed, but I had my Dad with me telling me what to do when I first towed a caravan and he was very reassuring and it was fifty years ago!

John.     :D

#11 klyne

klyne

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts
  • Interests:European travel, photography, my website

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:51 pm

I think once you have been away for a weekend or holiday which you really enjoyed and can see the real benefits those little worries about towing and setting up will subside. All these things need getting used to and towing is very different from driving a solo car so don't be too harsh on yourself. I expect a year of learning the ropes you will wonder why you were so concerned.

David

• Dozer likes this

#12 PaulJohn

PaulJohn

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorbikes, science, getting away.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:51 pm

Yes, it gets easier. For a while after we started caravanning we'd have a bar of post hitch up chocolate in the car to reward us.

We don't do that now, it's become second nature.

Paul

#13 bubble2015

bubble2015

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Towcar:Honda CRV
  • Caravan:Lunar Delta TI

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:52 pm

Yes.
You will get used to towing and once you have set up half a dozen times you will have much more idea what you are doing!

#14 Mogwyth

Mogwyth

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 3 4.4 V8
  • Caravan:Swift Charisma 610 & Monza 400D (spare)

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:56 pm

Yep it definitely gets easier after 18 months we think nothing of picking the van up from storage after work Thursday and goingfor a long weekend often arriving on site in the dark.

• Paul R T and KateTP like this

#15 Fireman Iain

Fireman Iain

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Towcar:Freelander2
  • Caravan:Swift Kudos 530sb

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:03 pm

Erm, yes.

But only a bit. For us, it takes a while, although it's only our first year.

There's still all the stages to go through. I've no idea how some people can set us as quickly as they claim. On a sloping pitch it can take me 10 mins just to level it.

And from what I've observed, very few people are set up in less than 30-40 mins, with packing away taking longer. It helps that I enjoy the whole process, especially the towing. Although I've found I'm quicker when it's scything with rain.....

#16 LongTimeCaravaner

LongTimeCaravaner

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, visiting National Trust properties and genealogy

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:07 pm

You don't say if there are two of you but we have caravanned for years and probably don't exchange a word after choosing our pitch until I say that the tea is made which is probably about fifteen to twenty minutes after choosing the pitch. Hubby does leveling, fitting security device on the wheel and connecting the electricity. I collect two barrels of water [we don't use site facilities] water for drinking and set up the waste water cassette. If it is raining one barrel of water and security device wait until later!

By the end of your first season you will be amazed at how much quicker you are.

• Coriolis likes this

#17 Dozer

Dozer

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Walks, reading , bikes and trikes
  • Towcar:.
  • Caravan:.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:09 pm

Hi Poppymay, it really does get easier.
I have only been towing for 18 months, the first trip was the worst. A bit nervous and a little stressed.
Setting up seemed to take an age but when it was all done and the kettle on for a cuppa it all seemed worthwhile.
Packing up and driving home was easier. After a few local trips I started to get more confidence.
Setting up got easier and easier as did packing away. Mrs.Dozer and I just set in to a routine. As the OP said it is pretty much unspoken now.
When it comes to checking the van is ready for towing I'm a little OCD and if Mrs.Dozer distracts me I have to start the checks again
Last year we went to the Isle of Wight (250 miles round trip) then up to Lake Windermere (720 mile round trip) with the van.
We all take a different amount of time to settle in to things, your confidence WILL grow with each trip, in my humble opinion.
Enjoy your new toy and look on things from the fun angle.
Hope this helps

#18 Coriolis

Coriolis

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning (!), Sailing.....
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2.5D Auto
  • Caravan:Coachman Pastiche 560/4

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:21 pm

As others have hinted....it all settles down dramatically after you've evolved your own system.....everyone has one, whether it's written down (which some swear by) or just from memory....if you're part of  a couple (as we are now the goblins have left) we tend to have 'his jobs' and 'her jobs', although I think it's important that either can do everything in case something unexpected happens, so although SWMBO doesn't tow normally, we've made sure she's had a go at hitching, towing and setting up just in case I ever slip and break an ankle or something equally silly.

We've all had stressful trips when every possible thing which could go wrong, did, but they are the minority and get fewer as practice and familiarity grows.

Confidence and enjoyment builds as the good times add up, so don't be put off.....not for the first 30 years anyway; after that if you still hate it, maybe give it another try for the next 20 years before making a final decision  :rolleyes:

#19 ascsbe

ascsbe

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:AFC Bournemouth. Cricket and Caravanning.
  • Towcar:Kia Sportage KX3 2014
  • Caravan:Lunar Lexon 570 Due April 2017

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:49 pm

We have been caravanning for about 35 years and noticed last year that things were getting a bit easier.

• hawkaye, Charl, John_b_45 and 8 others like this

#20 hp100425ev

hp100425ev

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Towcar:2015 Kia Sorento KX3 Auto
  • Caravan:2017 Lunar Clubman SB

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:51 pm

You don't say whether the stressful setup and packing up involved an awning.
If it did, stressful is not unusual and the "secret" is to take your time and not try to rush it, just work methodically.
If no awning, then it really shouldn't be stressful, just follow a system.
Without an awning, a relaxed set up should take no longer than 20-30 minutes, including the casual chat at the water tap!
My tip would be when on site and set up, discretely watch others as they arrive and see how long it takes them, looking out for those who seem to have a relaxed and fairly quick approach to it all.

As far as towing goes, it really is a matter of making sure loading is correctly distributed, the hitch is correctly on the towball and taking it easy until you gain confidence and get used to the size of the outfit and the performance of your towcar.

Edited by hp100425ev, 11 January 2017 - 08:57 pm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

redrockhopper