What Do You Tow Your Vip With?

dbn

I have decided to change my XC70 tow car as I can not get it to tow our VIP575 with a confident and safe feeling but am unsure what to replace it with.

I have recently towed it with a Ford Kuga and the difference in the tow was unbelieveably better being smoother and so relaxed compared to the Volvo.

I would prefer an auto box and I have been told that the Kuga auto box is not too good so maybe the Kuga is out but it was such a good drive with the van I am half hoping someone will tell me the Kuga auto box is fine, or indeed of any other stable towing car.

Thanks in anticipation

dbn

• Like 1

I know you have had problems with your Volvo but I would suggest you consider the XC60, best car I have ever towed with and very nice to drive solo as well.

• Like 2

We tow ours with a Kia Sorrento automatic and are very pleased with it. We must be as this is the third Sorrento we have owned.

• Like 1

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We tow ours with a Kia Sorrento automatic and are very pleased with it. We must be as this is the third Sorrento we have owned.

+1 (Sorento that is not the VIP!)

Edited by Tuningdrew

Freelander 2.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Mercedes GLC 250 Sport Premium, 9 speed auto weight ratio 88% mpg towing 29.

2019 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Inscription. Pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 575 fitted with Powertouch Mover

Kuga manual 180 ps. 2. 0 litre. ...

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

I tow my 520/4 VIP at 1600Kgs with a 2013 Sorento KX2 Manual (used to get a smelling clutch on reverse and hill starts, (never suffered this with any other car, now use mover for pitching) I am really pleased with Sorento I have had 2 the previous one (2008) was a better 4x4 due to low range gear box, newer one is a better ride especially as it has Self Levelling Suspension as standard and cheaper to run

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

ML250 Blutec auto. New tug and only towed the once but was very comfortable, in all ways.

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, seven Grandsons and counting.

Retirement is great but you never get a day off :D.

I tow with a 5 series estate and it is a good tow. I had a Kia Sorento on lease which went back a week or 2 before I got the 575, but I am sure it would have been flawless like with the previous (but lighter) van.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread as my particular 5 series, whilst great at towing the van is not what you would describe as a tow car and so I may be looking for something cheap (with a big fuel tank) for towing only.

Edited by Dave_N

I likewise have towed VIP 560 with Volvo V70 (4yrs) and VIP 575 with XC70 (4yrs) And never batered an eye lid thinking they were the best tow cars out.

Now I own a GLC 250 d Sport and I must admit this car is brilliant, and I must say it beats the volvo's I've previously towed with.

Happy caravaner PapaT

Mercedes Benz GLC 250d Sport, towing Coachman VIP 575 2018

BMW 535D Touring; 320bhp, 650nm Torque and self levelling rear suspension means effortless towing

Not the cheapest of cars though :(

Coachman Laser 875 . BMW X5 30D xDrive M Sport (G05)

Freelander 2 automatic.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

Tow our VIP 575 with an Audi A4 Quattro V6 Diesel S-Tronic (auto) Seems to tow well to me, done several thousand miles with the van on the back so far.

01 plated Discovery TD5 manual

( I use this off road at times, horse poo trailer tug, cut log carrier :D )

I know that you'll be going for something more user friendly but each to their own.

Really glad you got to the bottom of the towing problem.

Michael

Land Rover Discovery S2 Td5

Coachman VIP 520/4  ( 2013 )

I likewise have towed VIP 560 with Volvo V70 (4yrs) and VIP 575 with XC70 (4yrs) And never batered an eye lid thinking they were the best tow cars out.

Now I own a GLC 250 d Sport and I must admit this car is brilliant, and I must say it beats the volvo's I've previously towed with.

Happy caravaner PapaT

I have the new V90 but have not towed with it yet. My wife and I have back trouble and the V90 is not that easy to get in and out of but really comfortable when in. We have decided to see how it goes for a year as the new XC60 is due out then but the MB GLC250 sounds nice too. It will probably come down to price and what you get for the money. When I was looking at the MB brochure it struck me that extras can cost a lot but maybe the SE spec will have enough goodies as standard. The MB engine is similar in power etc to the 2litre diesel I have in my V90 which will be the same in the new XC60.

• Like 1

I have the new V90 but have not towed with it yet. My wife and I have back trouble and the V90 is not that easy to get in and out of but really comfortable when in. We have decided to see how it goes for a year as the new XC60 is due out then but the MB GLC250 sounds nice too. It will probably come down to price and what you get for the money. When I was looking at the MB brochure it struck me that extras can cost a lot but maybe the SE spec will have enough goodies as standard. The MB engine is similar in power etc to the 2litre diesel I have in my V90 which will be the same in the new XC60.

I originally was going for the GLC220 SE, and add in the Sat Nav, but landed up with the 250 SPORT Spec, as you get a lot more for your money, compared to cost for SE + Sat Nav.

Never regretted that decision, and what an effortless comfortable drive it is as well. Very economical car also compared to my ex XC70.

PS - yes I like the V90 also but they were not on the market when I was changing my car.

PapaT

• Like 1

Mercedes Benz GLC 250d Sport, towing Coachman VIP 575 2018

post-41545-0-11523700-1484264338_thumb.jpgWe specifically went for the MB GLC 250 Sport Premium as it was cheaper than an X3 with the same spec (Did have to bash the sales guy a bit though) and also as we are both height challenged and the other half has knee problems, getting in the GLC was by far the easiest having tried Q5, X3 & LR Disco Sport. The ride comfort is also superior on standard suspension with 18" wheels. Pete

Papa T how is your car coping with the snow??

• Like 1

2019 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Inscription. Pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 575 fitted with Powertouch Mover

And I wonder what the conclusion to the original question is ? Just that there are many different vehicles suitable to tow a VIP ??

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

And I wonder what the conclusion to the original question is ? Just that there are many different vehicles suitable to tow a VIP ??

There is no conclusion as there isn't the ideal vehicle for everyone

We all have our own requirements for a tow-car whether it's a dedeicated towing vehicle or the all-round, commuting, taking the kids to school, family holiday vehicle. Gentle jaunts to country or seaside sites or trying to drag whatever across ploughed fields at rallys etc.

So what suits some becomes a deal breaker for others. You've just got to look at the hundreds of threads on the subject of towcars - even the badge screwed to the bonnet is vitally important to some whereas others just want a vehicle that does the job. Even I wont buy a red car (or a white, black or gold one one come to that) - I just dont like them :(

There is no conclusion as there isn't the ideal vehicle for everyone

We all have our own requirements for a tow-car whether it's a dedeicated towing vehicle or the all-round, commuting, taking the kids to school, family holiday vehicle. Gentle jaunts to country or seaside sites or trying to drag whatever across ploughed fields at rallys etc.

So what suits some becomes a deal breaker for others. You've just got to look at the hundreds of threads on the subject of towcars - even the badge screwed to the bonnet is vitally important to some whereas others just want a vehicle that does the job. Even I wont buy a red car (or a white, black or gold one one come to that) - I just dont like them :(

I think that is what I intimated in my post ( but in a lot less words ). Agree with all you say except it is difficult to understand how anyone could not buy a black coloured car - they are, in my humble opinion, rather beautiful

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Perfect colour for a hearse :D

I've seen them in Silver too :D :D

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.