Photo

Twin Axle Insurance Renewal - Anyone Got Better.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Disco4

Disco4

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:05 pm

Are you sure?

they are taking on another £10k of liability to insure griff's 'van over yours. That liability comes at a price to cover.

Not quite.  The liability for the full value of the van only kicks in if there's a total loss of the van (either via accident or theft).  That reflects only a portion of their liability, e.g. they could be covering damage to the van via accident, or theft of contents.  Think about your car insurance - the cost doesn't increase linearly with value of the car (having 3 vehicles in the household with identical drivers I'm well aware of that one).  I don't know the underwriting criteria used with this particular quote, but I'd expect perhaps a 10% differential for the higher value insured.

I can say categorically that the underwriter with CCC (and I know other people have got different answers from CCC) said if I only fitted one lock, they'd treat it as no locks fitted as it's chocolate teapot territory (their words).

#22 Tin_Snail

Tin_Snail

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Towcar:Antara 2. 2CDti SE Nav
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger 640 SE T/A

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:27 pm

Not quite.  The liability for the full value of the van only kicks in if there's a total loss of the van (either via accident or theft).  That reflects only a portion of their liability, e.g. they could be covering damage to the van via accident, or theft of contents.  Think about your car insurance - the cost doesn't increase linearly with value of the car (having 3 vehicles in the household with identical drivers I'm well aware of that one).  I don't know the underwriting criteria used with this particular quote, but I'd expect perhaps a 10% differential for the higher value insured.

I can say categorically that the underwriter with CCC (and I know other people have got different answers from CCC) said if I only fitted one lock, they'd treat it as no locks fitted as it's chocolate teapot territory (their words).

My understanding and own experinece is different and that it can indeed do just that.

But it's of no consequence really. :)

#23 Griff

Griff

Living the caravaning dream, well nightmare really

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Interests:Flying RC aircaft, coarse & fly fishing.
  • Towcar:Discovery 4 HSE
  • Caravan:Dying Buccaneer Schooner

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:41 pm

Currently paying £329 for our 2016 Delta Ti when we bought it as new in July 2016, £28k value plus £4k for all other bits. Needs tracker, one AL-KO (even though it's a t/a) and hitch lock. Kept on seasonal site for 10 months plus 2 months touring. Underwriters are UK General Insurance and using an on-line broker http://www.myinsuran...avan-insurance/

Thanks for the link Pebble.

Did it over the phone with them and got it for £119 less than the quote in my post #1 and is on a like for like basis with one wheel lock and confirmation in writing that a tracker is not a requirement as long as all of the other kit conforms. :)

• Pebble and Tin_Snail like this

#24 Pebble

Pebble

Pebble

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  • Towcar:Ssangyong Rexton 2.2 ELX
  • Caravan:Lunar Delta Ti 2016

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:03 pm

Griff, on 11 Jan 2017 - 4:41 PM, said:

Did it over the phone with them and got it for £119 less than the quote in my post #1 and is on a like for like basis with one wheel lock and confirmation in writing that a tracker is not a requirement as long as all of the other kit conforms. :)

Happy days and a great result Griff :) .

#25 Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, scuba diving, cycling.
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Schooner 2016

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:20 pm

£31k new for old
1 Security device to be fitted
Tracker
Trailer stability
Parked on drive
4 yr ncd protected
£396 with CC.

Edited by Yorkshireman, 11 January 2017 - 09:21 pm.

#26 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Cruiser 2016

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:31 am

In the unfortunate event of a claim that is when you know just how good an insurance company is however by that time it may be too late.  Can you name the new insurance company as it may be helpful to others as that is a good price and about the same as I am paying?

Edited by Durbanite, 12 January 2017 - 10:32 am.

• rovinmad likes this

#27 Griff

Griff

Living the caravaning dream, well nightmare really

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Interests:Flying RC aircaft, coarse & fly fishing.
  • Towcar:Discovery 4 HSE
  • Caravan:Dying Buccaneer Schooner

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:43 am

In the unfortunate event of a claim that is when you know just how good an insurance company is however by that time it may be too late.. ... ..

Absolutely, that's been the same with the last couple of companies I have used as I have never had to claim to find out.

This insurer is Ptarmigan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users