Photo

Twin Axle Insurance Renewal - Anyone Got Better.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Griff

Griff

Post numbers, it's all about quality not quantity.

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • Interests:Flying RC aircaft, coarse & fly fishing.
  • Towcar:Discovery 4 HSE
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Schooner. Reich AWD mover

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:02 pm

Just had the renewal through for our twin axle based on new for old at £33.5k + £2k contents at a renewal premium of £465.

Stipulations are with.......

Just one SAS wheel lock being acceptable.
Hitch lock.
Leg sensor.
Internal alarm.
CaSSOA Gold storage.
NO TRACKER.
Maximum NCD.

Anyone finding cheaper on a like for like basis?

Don't want to go to the extent of having a Tracker or two wheel locks fitted.

Thanks.

#2 Dillon200

Dillon200

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:caravan, Motorbike, Fishing
  • Towcar:Vito Sport
  • Caravan:Elddis 840

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:27 pm

We just had a quote on our New elddis 840 with awd mover and awning, new for old we are on Cassoa silver and need locks on both axels and hitch.

Not the same value as you but £220

#3 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, historic motorsport, my dogs.
  • Towcar:2017 Nissan Navara Acenta+
  • Caravan:2016 Swift Conqueror 645

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:34 pm

I'm afraid I just go for CC 5C insurance. Two SAS clamps  + hitch + tracker as it came with the van. Couldn't tell you how much it was exactly, around £350 as we have lowest NCD and £1k cover on equipment. I don't shop around as a) can't be bothered and the CC 5C insurance gives me peace of mind.

Edited by Tuningdrew, 09 January 2017 - 06:35 pm.

#4 milkymarsh

milkymarsh

CT Patron

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • Towcar:Seat Alhambra FR 184 DSG
  • Caravan:Bailey U3 Cartagena

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:47 pm

We just had a quote on our New elddis 840 with awd mover and awning, new for old we are on Cassoa silver and need locks on both axels and hitch.

Not the same value as you but £220

Roughly the same as ours, but on the drive. Found the cost without wheel locks prohibitive

#5 WispMan

WispMan

Milky Way

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,513 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and astronomy.
  • Towcar:Volvo V70 D5 Auto 2004
  • Caravan:Bailey Pageant S7 Burgundy

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:27 pm

Renewed today with CC for £168 and only a hitchlock is required. Not new for old so van insured for £9,500. Our postcode helps, I think.

#6 Tin_Snail

Tin_Snail

,,, () ,,,

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Towcar:Aye.....
  • Caravan:....and one of them too.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:33 pm

Just had the renewal through for our twin axle based on new for old at £33.5k + £2k contents at a renewal premium of £465.

Hitch lock.
Leg sensor.
Internal alarm.
CaSSOA Gold storage.
NO TRACKER.
Maximum NCD.

Thanks.

Griff, I think you are going to struggle to get a meaningful comparison on here, given the value of your 'van. It's clear follow up,posters are not comparing like for like.

i wonder how many on here have a 'van worth that much?

FWIW I think given the value and the security stipulations it sounds a reasonable price to me.

#7 Disco4

Disco4

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:44 pm

Hitch lock.
Leg sensor.
Internal alarm.
CaSSOA Gold storage.
NO TRACKER.
Maximum NCD.

Thanks.

It's the single lock that's killing you. Accept fitting 2 & it'll drop.

My van's on new-for-old & would cost £24k to replace, arrangements otherwise same, and I'm just shy of £300 with CCC - would be another £150-200 with a single lock as the underwriter's view was that unless there were 2 the clamp was effectively not there.

#8 Tin_Snail

Tin_Snail

,,, () ,,,

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:40 pm

It's the single lock that's killing you. Accept fitting 2 & it'll drop.

My van's on new-for-old & would cost £24k to replace, arrangements otherwise same, and I'm just shy of £300 with CCC - would be another £150-200 with a single lock as the underwriter's view was that unless there were 2 the clamp was effectively not there.

Are you sure?

they are taking on another £10k of liability to insure griff's 'van over yours. That liability comes at a price to cover.

#9 Griff

Griff

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:09 pm

In past years when I have phoned around for quotes, the majority of companys decline to quote without a tracker being fitted.

That seems to be the main stumbling block.

Not sure how much a tracker might be to have fitted and what the annual subscription costs are relative to the would be cost saving from my current renewal figure.

May or may not be worth it, might be better to stick with my current policy stipulations.

I think in a couple of years I will not be able to insure it on a new for old basis anyway due to its age.

#10 Tin_Snail

Tin_Snail

,,, () ,,,

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:13 pm

In past years when I have phoned around for quotes, the majority of companys decline to quote without a tracker being fitted.

Not sure how much a tracker might be to have fitted and what the annual subscription costs are relative to the would be cost saving from my current renewal figure.

May or may not be worth it, might be better to stick with my current policy stipulations.

I think in a couple of years I will not be able to insure it on a new for old basis anyway due to its age.

Putting aside for a sec. the dubious value of a passive Tracking system....

Is it not already fitted on a 'van of that value?

Surely it just needs a subscription activating? Again?

Edited by Tin_Snail, 09 January 2017 - 11:15 pm.

#11 Griff

Griff

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:17 pm

Putting aside for a sec. the dubious value of a passive Tracking system....

Is it not already fitted on a 'van of that value?

Surely it just needs a subscription activating? Again?

No unfortunately no tracker fitted TS, have had the Schooner from new.

#12 milkymarsh

milkymarsh

CT Patron

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • Towcar:Seat Alhambra FR 184 DSG
  • Caravan:Bailey U3 Cartagena

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:20 pm

Griff - Tracker retrieve is here

http://www.trackerdi...racker-retrieve

Install cost wise the price looks good, but the annual charges there seem high. I went for the 5 year up front cost and it brought costs down to the equivalent of £60pa.
I'd put a call into them to see if you can get the annual charges reduced.

For me, the tracker was cost neutral in relation to the insurance discount, but for me the insurance was only the van, mover, awning and £1k of contents. So all in, circa £28k, less than yourself. It took circa 25% off the cost from memory.

Hope that helps

#13 Tin_Snail

Tin_Snail

,,, () ,,,

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:22 pm

No unfortunately no tracker fitted TS, have had the Schooner from new.

Ah right. I sort of assumed it would be std.

Anyway fitting costs here.

http://www.tracker.c...rhome-tracking/

#14 Pebble

Pebble

Pebble

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts
  • Towcar:Ssangyong Rexton 2.2 ELX
  • Caravan:Lunar Delta Ti 2016

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:51 am

Currently paying £329 for our 2016 Delta Ti when we bought it as new in July 2016, £28k value plus £4k for all other bits. Needs tracker, one AL-KO (even though it's a t/a) and hitch lock. Kept on seasonal site for 10 months plus 2 months touring. Underwriters are UK General Insurance and using an on-line broker http://www.myinsuran...avan-insurance/

#15 Griff

Griff

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:27 am

Just tried that link Pebble and a quote of similar money to yours comes out but with the following security provisos:

TCS02 Additional Security Requirement
It is a condition of the Policy that whenever the Caravan is detached from the towing vehicle and left unattended the following additional security devices must be in operation: - a pro-active tracking device AND/OR - an approved chassis wheel locking device that secures wheels to the chassis of the caravan (ALKO Secure; Bulldog Max; Full Stop Excalibur Chassis Wheel Lock; SAS/BPW Gridlock; SAS/BPW Wheel Lock Diamond).

Note the and/or, wonder if the tracker is not compulsory as long as the wheel locking device is in place, doubt it but will ring for a quote and clarify.

Thanks.

#16 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Cruiser 2016

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:07 am

Hitch lock.
Leg sensor.
Internal alarm.
CaSSOA Gold storage.
NO TRACKER.
Maximum NCD.

Thanks.

Not sure why you are insuring new for old at £33.5k when the new replacement unit costs £32, 194? Aren't the awning, motor mover etc are over and above?   

In addition, I don't think an insurance company pays VAT, but I may be wrong so may be even less.  We paid £344 in November on renewal and this amount includes a satellite dome, air con, motor mover, Isabella awning and normal caravan contents. 

We are with Towergate who are more competitive that the CC and offer virtually the same benefits.  We do not have CASSOA gold storage, but we do have a Phantom tracker otherwise everything is about the same.

Try a quote from Towergate.

#17 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:13 am

If you are going to fit a Tracker, do not fit the tracker Retrieve as that is a waste of money and time as it is not pro-active.  Go for the Phantoim Tracker which is Pro-active.  You can negotiate a decent fitment price and subscription.  We have 5 year subscription which in itself gives a decent discount.  The new Phantom trackers alert you if someone enters your caravan, if the battery level dros below 12v and you can also monitor the mileage done by the caravan.

#18 Griff

Griff

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:32 am

Not sure why you are insuring new for old at £33.5k when the new replacement unit costs £32, 194? Aren't the awning, motor mover etc are over and above?   
In addition, I don't think an insurance company pays VAT, but I may be wrong so may be even less.  We paid £344 in November on renewal and this amount includes a satellite dome, air con, motor mover, Isabella awning and normal caravan contents. 
We are with Towergate who are more competitive that the CC and offer virtually the same benefits.  We do not have CASSOA gold storage, but we do have a Phantom tracker otherwise everything is about the same.
Try a quote from Towergate.

It is Towergate that we are currently with and I think that the figure quoted was given to me by them last year.

Don't want a tracker as if it is stolen we definitely do not want it back.

#19 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:00 pm

It is Towergate that we are currently with and I think that the figure quoted was given to me by them last year.

Don't want a tracker as if it is stolen we definitely do not want it back.

Maybe a misconception regarding the tracker.  With the Phantom tracker you are aware immediately that the caravan is move even one meter.  The company contact you to make sure that it is not you moving the caravan.  If they are told it is not you moving the caravan, then they get onto the police straight away and are able to track the caravan and probably recover it before it is sold on or used which at that point none of us would want the unit back.  This recovery could be within a few miles of where the caravan is stored or are you hoping that yours will be stolen and never recovered?  LOL!  :D

Getting back to insurance ours is in a similair price bracket so not sure about why there is such a big difference in premiums considering we are not on a gold Cassoa site however we do fit both wheel locks?

#20 Tin_Snail

Tin_Snail

,,, () ,,,

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:19 pm

or are you hoping that yours will be stolen and never recovered?  LOL!  :D

I think a lot of people feel like this. I know we do. (not stolen but if it is never recovered that is)

It was one of the reasons that we didn't renew our Tracker retrieve subscription. Tracker Retrieve being a type that does give some reduction on premiums, despite the fact it could be days or even weeks before you become aware your 'van has even been moved two feet let alone through two countries.

The active systems are of course a different ballgame, but you have to way up the costs against paying for new for old insurance which we do.

Edited by Tin_Snail, 10 January 2017 - 12:46 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users