Speedy15

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Towcar:2011 Nissan Pathfinder
  • Caravan:2017 Buccaneer Commodore

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:36 pm

After visiting the Elddis open day in September we ordered a Commodore from Leisure World at Catterick, a very good discount was given from the RRP screen price and a free mover thrown in. Did a bit more haggling to have TV brackets and added shelf pack fitted.

News today from Catterick the Commodore has arrived and is being PDI'd tomorrow ready for collection on Monday. I have taken the smallest of HP from Black Horse over five years just to have some consumer protection after reading that is the best way rather than purchase outright.

Booked a CCC site closeby for Monday, fingers crossed we can be back home by Tuesday with the van tucked up in our local storage compound.

More to follow.. ... ...

• simon645, GB1309, VOLVOVANNER and 3 others like this

#2 6206greg

6206greg

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Interests:golf
  • Towcar:2017 VW transporter 4 motion
  • Caravan:2017 Bucc. Cruiser

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:11 pm

Hope it goes well, fancy a look at one ourselves.

#3 pete260

pete260

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:caravanning, cycling,classic cars, motorsport
  • Towcar:Mitsubishi Shogun 2015 LWB

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:50 am

Hope all goes well,great choice of van hope it lives up to expectations we are awaiting delivery of ours due Feb,look forward to some positive feedback.

• GB1309 and Speedy15 like this

#4 Speedy15

Speedy15

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:39 am

Hope all goes well,great choice of van hope it lives up to expectations we are awaiting delivery of ours due Feb,look forward to some positive feedback.

Going to use this thread as positive and negative feed back over the coming months, it's mostly negative feedback that is recorded on forums and FB so hopefully we can have the good and bad points.

Sold our late 2014 S3 Cartagena privately couple of months ago, it had no faults in two years apart from a loose window blind frame screw, the dealer tried silicon on it to no avail, I just put a slightly larger tapper in its place. Bathroom sink tap became loose in it's hole. Hopefully the Commodore will be as good.

• GB1309 likes this

#5 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Cruiser 2016

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:09 am

Congratulations I am sure you will enjoy it.  When we collected our Cruiser we went to a site nearby to the dealer which was just as well as the darn thing would not unhitch from the car.  We were not that familair with the BPW hitch and winding down the jockey wheel was lifting the back of the Jeep.  As the Jeep was blocking the access road we had tor everse right back and phone the dealer.  Naturally when they arrived, a quick lift and the caravan was no longer hitched to the car.  There was a bit of a trick to disengaging the hitch which was different to the ALKO one.

• simon645 likes this

#6 pete260

pete260

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:caravanning, cycling,classic cars, motorsport
  • Towcar:Mitsubishi Shogun 2015 LWB

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:15 am

Hi Speedy,we are trading in a 2013 unicorn Madrid series 2 which like you we have had no problems with,we have everything crossed our luck continues.
  • Speedy15 likes this

#7 DeeTee

DeeTee

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:Photography,

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:14 pm

Going to use this thread as positive and negative feed back over the coming months, it's mostly negative feedback that is recorded on forums and FB so hopefully we can have the good and bad points.

Sold our late 2014 S3 Cartagena privately couple of months ago, it had no faults in two years apart from a loose window blind frame screw, the dealer tried silicon on it to no avail, I just put a slightly larger tapper in its place. Bathroom sink tap became loose in it's hole. Hopefully the Commodore will be as good.

Some, if not most, of negative feedback on forums seems to come from buyers who have issues with their caravan and run into difficulties in getting the issues resolved by a dealer many miles from the buyer's home.

#8 Speedy15

Speedy15

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:35 pm

We were not that familair with the BPW hitch There was a bit of a trick to disengaging the hitch which was different to the ALKO one.

The BPW does have a different action to the Alko, we've had both in the past but will take a bit getting used to it again. 

#9 VOLVOVANNER

VOLVOVANNER

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Caravanning, Cars
  • Towcar:2014 VW Touareg 245PS R-Line
  • Caravan:2014 Buccaneer Schooner

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:47 pm

The BPW hitch will not come off if the bellows are completely open so either reverse car slightly or if using the mover you could move caravan forwards slightly (only half inch required) and it will come off cleanly and easily. Dont compress bellows too much as then hitch will hit bumper when it comes off although the rubber boot should protect the bumper from damage. Sorry to hijack the post but as the OP is collecting soon I was keen he should see it as am sure he is reading this thread. A brand new caravan which wont come off car could be disappointing/frustrating/time consuming plus a little embarrassing - been there and done it!
  • Paul_B, Durbanite, pete260 and 1 other like this

#10 Sparkie240

Sparkie240

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Towcar:VW Touareg R Line
  • Caravan:Buccaneer 2016 Cruiser

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:49 pm

Good luck with your new van and happy touring times ahead.

• Speedy15 likes this

#11 smino0_1

smino0_1

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Interests:anything rc,my car n caravan
  • Towcar:65 volvo xc60 2.4 d5 se lux nav awd geartronic
  • Caravan:2016 Buccaneer Cruiser

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:44 pm

yes had the same thing with unhitching on first tow.as said just a litle movement with mover and it comes apart easier.i do live on a slight hill so took some working out.

• Speedy15 likes this

#12 Speedy15

Speedy15

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:13 pm

The BPW hitch will not come off if the bellows are completely open so either reverse car slightly or if using the mover you could move caravan forwards slightly (only half inch required) and it will come off cleanly and easily. Dont compress bellows too much as then hitch will hit bumper when it comes off although the rubber boot should protect the bumper from damage.

Very good advice, didn't know that one. My last BPW van was stored on a slight downward pitch and was reversed on with the bellows probably always depressed to some extent. Thanks VV

#13 bobsbabes

bobsbabes

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Towcar:Nissan Navara NP300 Tekna
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Galera

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:20 pm

After visiting the Elddis open day in September we ordered a Commodore from Leisure World at Catterick, a very good discount was given from the RRP screen price and a free mover thrown in. Did a bit more haggling to have TV brackets and added shelf pack fitted.

News today from Catterick the Commodore has arrived and is being PDI'd tomorrow ready for collection on Monday. I have taken the smallest of HP from Black Horse over five years just to have some consumer protection after reading that is the best way rather than purchase outright.

Booked a CCC site closeby for Monday, fingers crossed we can be back home by Tuesday with the van tucked up in our local storage compound.

More to follow.. ... ...

oh exciting !!!!! is it on time or late ?

Edited by bobsbabes, 06 January 2017 - 04:20 pm.

#14 Speedy15

Speedy15

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:25 pm

oh exciting !!!!! is it on time or late ?

Was down for the 22nd December but with the dealer being closed for two weeks holiday it arrived on the 5th January, happy with that.

#15 bobsbabes

bobsbabes

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Towcar:Nissan Navara NP300 Tekna
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Galera

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:44 pm

Was down for the 22nd December but with the dealer being closed for two weeks holiday it arrived on the 5th January, happy with that.

ahhh so down to the dealer rather than Elddis ? trying to guesstimate if ours is on track for mid March !!

• GB1309 likes this

#16 GB1309

GB1309

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning.
    Mending caravan.
    Being retired.
  • Towcar:LR Discovery 4 SDV6 XS
  • Caravan:2017 Commodore

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:23 pm

More to follow.. ... ...

Excellent stuff Speedy. We also serve who only stand and wait!

Our Commodore is due Feb/Mar and I continue to build my PDI oversight strategy based on what you delivered owners report, so please keep it coming, good or bad.

Your "part finance" option looks interesting. I wonder how many folk are trying that?

Cheers and thanks,

GB.

• bobsbabes, simon645 and Speedy15 like this

#17 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:42 am

Excellent stuff Speedy. We also serve who only stand and wait!

Our Commodore is due Feb/Mar and I continue to build my PDI oversight strategy based on what you delivered owners report, so please keep it coming, good or bad.

Your "part finance" option looks interesting. I wonder how many folk are trying that?

Cheers and thanks,

GB.

We also went down the route of part finance.  Any issues you let the finance company fight your corner.

• simon645 likes this

#18 simon645

simon645

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Towcar:range rover sport hse
  • Caravan:2016 Buccaneer Cruiser

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:58 am

We also went down the route of part finance.  Any issues you let the finance company fight your corner.

Best way to go, keep your money in the bank,finance company will sort any problems far easier and quicker.

#19 Speedy15

Speedy15

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:30 pm

That does seem to be sadly the way to go, when I mentioned it to the dealer they agreed it was good for consumer protection and if I'm happy in a year or so with the van I can pay off the balance early with an interest reduction and pay a £10 admin fee.

• simon645 likes this

#20 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:39 pm

That does seem to be sadly the way to go, when I mentioned it to the dealer they agreed it was good for consumer protection and if I'm happy in a year or so with the van I can pay off the balance early with an interest reduction and pay a £10 admin fee.

We have decided on 5 years as interest is very low.  In the past it is on the 4th service that you seem to get a bill larger than normal when they find all sorts of things wrong except damp.  A lot depends on the dealership.

• Speedy15 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users