Paul_B

Fly Fisherman with over 100,000 casts

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,231 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:59 am

Right, just had a proper look at the ticket ... and it's quite definite ... any day!

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

John

I think it might be an idea to check with the Caravan Club as it looks like a Thursday ticket to me.

#22 Johnaldo

Johnaldo

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • Towcar:2014 Volvo V60 SE Lux
  • Caravan:2011 Sprite Alpine 4

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:29 pm

I think it might be an idea to check with the Caravan Club as it looks like a Thursday ticket to me.

Why does it look like a "Thursday ticket"?

John

#23 wigandiver

wigandiver

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Interests:Diving.
  • Towcar:VW Sharan Auto 06
  • Caravan:Bailey Pageant Champagne Series 7 2010.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:32 pm

John

See the bottom of this link. https://www.caravanc...show-eventcity/

We are going on Saturday for £7 each.

#24 Paul_B

Paul_B

Fly Fisherman with over 100,000 casts

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,231 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:22 pm

John

It says £6.50 which is the caravan club day, its £7 for other days

#25 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Digital photography, Walking.
  • Towcar:2016 Ford Kuga 2.0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.
  • Caravan:2016 Coachman VIP 565.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:00 pm

I actually did a "live chat" with the C.C. This afternoon and she said they were not aware of this anomaly but it would be investigated . ... .Peter

#26 Johnaldo

Johnaldo

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:10 pm

As it happens I now can't go Friday because of a funeral, and also think that the weekend will be busiest . .. so it'll have to be Thursday after all !!

John

#27 Johnaldo

Johnaldo

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:42 am

Well, just to add to the confusion . ..

Despite ordering tickets to print-out myself, 'proper' tickets have arrived in the post this morning!

And they are specifically for Thursday only which, as I said above, now suits me fine.

John

#28 Johnaldo

Johnaldo

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:59 pm

Well, we visited the Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show today, and here’s my thoughts, starting with the negative ones.

First, although the parking is plentiful, it was very badly organized. As we approached from Junction 9 of the M60, the stewards and electronic signs said that Event City’s own parking was full, and sent us off to fend for ourselves (one live sign was even pointing us into a locked gateway).   Half an hour later, after finding a parking place and walking all the way back to the hall, we found cars flowing into the car park without problem! So why had we been diverted?

Secondly, having previously seen the venue it looks enormous from the outside, but it turned out that almost half of the hall was taken by another exhibition.

Thirdly, the ‘exhibits’ - two observations here, one probably the cause of the other. A massive area of floor space was given over to the display and promotion of holiday homes and park owners. Now I know that some of these may, at a stretch, be described as caravans, but they were all very far removed from touring caravans – many appeared to be log cabins.  Nowhere on the flier that enticed me to visit the show did it mention that there would be so much non-caravan exhibits. (And whilst we're on this point, why are so many stalls given over to candle sales, home improvements, pain relief, dog food, roof insulation, copper bracelets, etc, etc?)

And the knock-on effect of the above was that many of the staff I spoke to were complaining that their show space had been restricted, and they’d been unable to display all the vans or motorhomes that they’d have liked to.  We were particularly on the look-out for a small-to-medium van, but found just 2 or 3 on display.

On the positive side, it is good to have a show fairly close to home where you can explore so many vans (provided you’re looking for a large one!).   And there were quite a good number of accessories on show too, but the prices seemed the same as on-line.

The hall was well laid out, with plenty of toilets, a few food outlets, and quite a few places to sit down as needed.  Many visitors seemed to be having a pass-out to visit eateries in The Trafford Centre.  It wasn’t too busy, so we were able to get in all the vans, and could always find a rep to speak to.

There was an abundance of special ‘show deals’ advertised, but I cannot confirm how good these deals are as I didn’t have the ‘normal’ prices on hand to confirm.  Free motor movers were on offer everywhere (some worth ‘at least £2000’ apparently!).

Would we go again? – yes, in another 5 years or so, but only if we’re thinking about changing the van.

John

• vulcan7 likes this

#29 Geemac

Geemac

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:41 am

Johnaldo,

Enjoyed your report and thoughts, thanks. We went today and agree with most of your points, and we had a good day. After a while we suffer from caravan fatigue as there are so many to see and we can only take in so much, so we broke off and enjoyed the diversity of the other exhibits and fringe areas. (Some great meat pies on display, but pricey). We then went back for a second and third look at our shortlist of favourites.

We were looking for 2 berth vans with rear bathroom and found enough to compare, but you are right that the market seemed to be aimed at the larger vans with every possible variation of fixed beds, from entry level to top of the range. We loved the qwirky Knaus Sport and Fun and the Swift Basecamp, but we are too old for that now and need a bit of comfort  :) .Clubman CK and Coachman 450 will be looked at again.

We used the bus pass for train and X50 bus from Piccadilly Gardens as we expected the usual delays and parking issues.

Gordon

• Johnaldo likes this

#30 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:39 am

We are going today with our friends, we plan to get there around 11a.m. We have been before but tend to go every 3 or 4 years. We are not buying anything major as we already have all we need.
Fair comments about the parking, you would think they would have it Sussed by now as they have events all the time!
We know what you mean about the statics, but they are always there at the show usually in a different place to the tourers and of course the stalls that have nothing to do with caravanning!
You never know, there might just be something of interest to buy but will be keeping an eye on the old credit card ;-) .
Might just be something in the caravan cleaning to interest us, Old man Fenwick etc.
So it's back to putting up the sarnies(can't stand the food they serve at these places) you never know, maybe something new somewhere.. ... ..Peter
  • Glen and Les likes this

#31 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:42 pm

Well we spent a good 6 hours at the show and enjoyed every minute, even though we didn't buy anything, there's plenty of bargains to be had and it seemed that most caravans had free motor movers as part of the deal.
Yes, there are lots of things that are definitely nothing to do with caravanning but still of interest.
Saturday will be busy, Sunday will be best for bargains if there's anything left.. ... .Peter

#32 Johnaldo

Johnaldo

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:38 pm

. ..Sunday will be best for bargains if there's anything left.. ... .Peter

What sort of bargains do you think there will there be Peter?

John

BTW, I noted down a few prices of the 'special show deals', and without exception the dealers are currently quoting exactly the same prices on the internet . .. how do they get away with that?

#33 peterjohn

peterjohn

Fight for the underdog

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:08 am

As I said, all seem to be offering free Motor Movers. Some would offer free awnings.
Caravan cleaning stuff and chairs at special prices and kitchen knives by the score!
And if you are really feeling flush you could buy a domestic type caravan/cabin for a mere £135,000.
Fabulous motorhomes £110.000. ( thank goodness I forgot my credit card :-). )
Better to get there about noon and stay later as there was hardly anyone there after 4 p.m.. ...Peter

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users