• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts
  • Interests:Europe travel.
    Living a long time.
  • Towcar:Volvo V70 SEL 2.4D Geartronic
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger

Posted 19 December 2016 - 11:35 pm

Agree tyres are shredded before any indication of a puncture which is usually seen in the towing mirror when smoke and rubber flying off and a can of gunk is going to be as much use as a chocolate fire guard .
I thought breakdown companies require you to have a spare to call them out ?
Dave

Yes. So did I.

#42 Black Grouse

Black Grouse

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts
  • Interests:Cold War Aircraft
  • Towcar:2016 VW Touareg SE 262
  • Caravan:2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:24 am

How can you keep the tyre "pressure rise" down?  

By applying some science!

Using TyrePal sensors, I note the cold pressure and the pressure during a normal journey - if the difference is more than 5% I use slightly higher cold pressures next time (never exceeding sidewall maximum of course) - remembering that most sensors are only accurate within 0.1 bar, about 1.5 psi.

The ambient temperature and direct sunshine have little effect on % increase once the journey is well underway - they do affect absolute temperatures but not the percentages.

It's the - "might have been a development engineer" in a different world that comes out some times.

I've done the same for the car - and as posted a 5% rise in normal solo driving can become 15-20% on a spirited country drive.

Edited by Black Grouse, 20 December 2016 - 09:26 am.

#43 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

Prestige member with over 10000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,578 posts
  • Interests:Model Eng, DIY, Caravan, Traction Engines
  • Towcar:Isuzu D max
  • Caravan:None

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:27 am

You might also need to consider if you have a puncture and no spare and you need a new tyre some countries require tyres to be in pairs with the same make and tread pattern and spec on the same axle so it could mean buying 2x new tyres and then it can take a week to get a tyre dispatched as they are not a stocked item by tyre dealers .

Some people travelling abroad carry a spare wheel and a spare tyre .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave, 20 December 2016 - 09:29 am.

#44 snowbird75

snowbird75

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:caravanning, bird watching, dinghy sailing.
  • Towcar:ford c max titanium 2.0l powershift auto
  • Caravan:bailey pageant magenta

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:58 pm

Well it looks like I opened a real can of worms. Thanks for everyone's comments, much appreciated. There is no way I will be changing any spare wheels at my age and bad back, I have Mayday and Red Pennant when abroad and I've also contacted Red Pennant and they confirm that my car and caravan would be recovered even when abroad. Another point is that I just do not have the room for two spare wheels as the outfit is pretty well loaded up when going down to Spain soon. Finally I have just fitted Snooper tyre monitors to the caravan so I will have some warning of pending disaster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users