Wheel Arch Liner Insulation.

Pebble

There's been a few threads over the years on this but why do manufacturers still not in 2016 insulate the wheel arch liners inside the 'van? I can only speak for our 2016 Lunar Delta but suffice to say, that after experiencing bad condensation and very cold cupboards around the wheel arches when it was -4 degC outside, this might just sort the issue http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/8-Sheets-10mm-Self-Adhesive-Closed-Cell-Foam-Deadening-Van-Boat-Insulation-/262422720511?hash=item3d199cefff:g:T2YAAOSwrklVApq-

Even our 2008 Swift Kontiki MH had insulation over the arch liners but maybe more for sound deadening than insulation but it worked either way.

So do other manufacturers go that extra mile and bother with insulated arch liners or is it just another cost saving exercise? So much for Grade 3 insulation in the real world eh?

• Like 2

2019 Adria Adora Thames

We have a Bailey Unicorn 2 and the wheel arches are definitely insulated,we were away last weekend and the caravan was lovely and warm with the frost outside.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the 2013 Elddis Avante (SoLiD) that we had. I stuck some carpet to the wheel arch to insulate it.

post-43219-0-10914800-1478630991_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

So it's Bailey 1 v everyone else 0 lol. Or at least in the case of the U2.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

depressed, on 08 Nov 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:

My 2015 caravan has factory fitted wheel arch insulation and yes we think it makes a difference :)

Thanks for that. I've asked the same question on Swift Talk and so far it seems that most Swift 'vans have insulated arch liners.

So come on Lunar, keep up with the rest ;) .

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Our coachman had factory fitted carpet type material over the visible arch under a dinette seat. Not sure what may cover the arch concealed behind the kitchen cabinetry. I could take a guess.

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

My Bailey U1 and present U3 have purpose made polystyrene insulation over the wheel arches.

I can't remember whether my earlier Pageants had iinsulation fitted although they were certainly warm enough even when we were away when the temperatures drooped to -14degrees

I wonder if this insulation would work in my caravan wardrobe to stop my alde header tank noise

The Coachman Vision that we have just traded in had insulated wheel arches behind the wardrobe drawer units.

We had a Bailey Pegasus 2 and it had polystyrene wheel arch liners, but our new Lunar Clubman has nothing.

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

The Coachman Vision that we have just traded in had insulated wheel arches behind the wardrobe drawer units.

We had a Bailey Pegasus 2 and it had polystyrene wheel arch liners, but our new Lunar Clubman has nothing.

A little job to put on the list?
  • Like 1

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We have got a 2017 buccaneer Commodore on order,I shall be well p--ded Off IF that isn't insulated.

We have got a 2017 buccaneer Commodore on order,I shall be well p--ded Off IF that isn't insulated.

Not been normal on Elddis models.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Our bessacar is well insulated under the wheel arches,they mention it in the brochure.

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Our current van a Swift has insulated wheel arches, but our previous 2 Lunars both had none. It's a Lunar thing by the sounds of it.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

The Adria Adora we traded in had masses of insulation everywhere, but the Lunar Ultima we have now doesn't have any.

Dave

Dave & Linda retired and enjoying spending the kids inheritance ( they earn more than we ever did anyway) Living in France and touring in Europe with our 2013 Adria Adora Danube 642up pulled by my beloved Renault Espace 2. 00dci.

Does seem to be a Lunar trait (omission?) by all accounts then :angry: .

Had I not ordered those insulation pads I mentioned in my first post, I'd have gone out and bought a camping roll http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/NEW-Blue-Yoga-Camping-Beach-Sleeping-Ground-Mat-180-x-50cm-Roll-Up-Mats-Foam-/172380172152?hash=item2822a8af78:g:uOUAAOSwrnNXQCCs and a can of spray adhesive from Screwfix for £3.

Another mistake and bad purchase I've made today :blush: .

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Does seem to be a Lunar trait (omission?) by all accounts then :angry: .

Had I not ordered those insulation pads I mentioned in my first post, I'd have gone out and bought a camping roll http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/NEW-Blue-Yoga-Camping-Beach-Sleeping-Ground-Mat-180-x-50cm-Roll-Up-Mats-Foam-/172380172152?hash=item2822a8af78:g:uOUAAOSwrnNXQCCs and a can of spray adhesive from Screwfix for £3.

Another mistake and bad purchase I've made today :blush: .

I think your purchase is the best. Comes with adhesive, 10mm thick and may have fire retardant.

John

• Like 1

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I wonder if this insulation would work in my caravan wardrobe to stop my alde header tank noise

I'm guessing that your Alde pump is in the header tank? If so, there have been a number of threads on how to reduce the noise, pump height in the tank I think was one of them. If your pump is built into the boiler as our Unicorn is, these are usually very quiet. You do need to keep the fluid level high as this virtually stopped it.

I have contacted Elddis customer care and they have confirmed they do not insulate there wheel arches.

• Like 1

Not just a Lunar thing.

My cheap Bailey Pursuit does not have insulated wheel boxes either.

A bit penny pinching, but suppose they have to differentiate between the models somehow, as in most respects it's ace.

I used a layer of closed cell sheet insulation, cut to shape and fixed with spray adhesive.

Had both lying around, so cost nothing, took a couple of hours fiddling around to get right though.

The front section of the offside liner could not be accessed without removing fridge, so left bare.

Thumb.jpg.f255c7e57524ea1128623188ab0d66c5.jpg 2016 Caravan is SOLD.   With very happy new owner

Must admit this isn't something I have experienced with any of my 8 or 9 caravans over 34 years, worth a thought though.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Our bessacar is well insulated under the wheel arches,they mention it in the brochure.

When bessacar caravans were still hand built, before swift bought the bessacarr name, the only wheel arches to be insulated were the ones ordered with it. We used to stick pieces of styrofoam on them, the same insulation that was in the caravan sides, with mastic and charge a fortune for it !!!!.

As we do not use the caravan very much in the winter months it is not really an issue for us. As ours is a twin axle access to the wheel arch on the nearside is probably impossible unless the fridge is removed. On the off side the drawers need to be removed. However still worth considering.

I just find it incredible that with all manufactures claiming there caravans are grade 3 insulation that such an obvious area is not insulated particularly on very expensive twin axle luxury vans, how much would that section of insulation cost all of 50 pence.

• Like 2