Water Pump Run On After Tap Turn Off

dbn

Hi

My 2016 VIP575 has an external water pump which seems to be intermittent at the length of time it runs on after the tap has been turned off. The pump is controlled by a "smart" pressure switch which does not seem to have any adjustments. The handbook states that the pump should stop after seven seconds of run on and sometimes it almost does this but usually runs on such that the pump has to be switched off manually, however if the pump is switched back on only a few seconds later the pump then runs for about seven seconds and switches off???

Anyone know what may be at fault and how to overcome the problem, all advice gratefully received.

Tahnks

Dave

The symptoms described may be due air trapped in the water system during filling.

A suitable remedy could be as simple as switching off the pump and opening the tap furthest from the water inlet and switching on the pump again to void the system of air. Once the water flows freely switch off the tap and then open a tap nearer to the inlet to see if there is air still trapped. Once the water runs freely switch off the second tap when hopefully the pump will stop running.

I have a Coachman VIP 565 and I have experienced exacttly your issue, so far I have changed the pump, changed the pressure switch three times, checked everything for leaks and have bled the system. Like you the system can work for a number of days without issue then for no apparent reason the pump will stay on until the main pump switch is used to turn it off. On turning on the pump goes through it's setup and after 7 seconds, the system is then back to normal and can work fine for quire a period of time. I have discussed with the supplier and Truma no one has yet come up with an answer. My previous Swift vans had an inboard pump which in 7 years never failed.

• Like 1

Again had the same problem as yourself on our 2012 Laser. Not sure if the pipe work is similar as we have the in board tank but we sent the caravan back to Coachman as this problem baffled the dealer. We was told the surge damper had to be replaced. Working fine now after a very frustrating start back in 2012. We always bleed the system of air both hot and cold water before using. Also look to make sure the external pump is not drawing in air around the clip.

Had the same problem with mine. When the outside pump came new with the van there was a kink in the pipe. This pipe is too inflexible and every time you take it out of the Aquaroll you risk kinking it just that bit too much.

I solved it by buying, off eBay, a spare Whale figure of eight tube (£8) after fitting this I have had no further problems. I do know that others have had similar problems but Truma, in their wisdom, see fit not to do anything about it saying E. U. Regulations and all that.

However either changing over to the Whale tubing or buying a complete Whale pump, will solve your problem I am sure. .........Peter

• Like 1

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Problem now solved, I bought a Whale pump EP1622 that comes with the Truma type pistol connector to the caravan and so is a non modification fit. It works fine, cuts off quickly, is quieter, has a higher flow rate, has super flexible hose and is easier to insert and remove from the van connection point. Really pleased. thanks to all

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Problem now solved, I bought a Whale pump EP1622 that comes with the Truma type pistol connector to the caravan and so is a non modification fit. It works fine, cuts off quickly, is quieter, has a higher flow rate, has super flexible hose and is easier to insert and remove from the van connection point. Really pleased. thanks to all

Dave

Our Truma Ultraflow submersible just fried completely last weekend after first chewing through a handful of 10A fuses - so I may try the Whale pump as your feedback is good. Looking around I think it is EP1642 that has the Ultraflow pistol grip compatible connector. Did you manage to do better than £50 inc. shipping?

Wondering if my original Truma submersible pump is covered by the 3 year Truma warranty given the expense to replace - or is it considered a consumable?!

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

Is there more than one type of connector as that does not look like mine?

What is the wire at connector end please?

Ebay has new ones for auction and present bid £10.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Richard and Jan, send your pump back to Truma with proof of when you bought the caravan. They should send you a replacement f. o. c. alternatively take it back to the dealer to do it for you, but remember, if tha' wants a job doin reet, do it thesen. ....Peter

Retired and loving it.

The blue bit on the end is a rubber dust cover and retainer for the connection end of the pump,

After the Truma Ultraflow housing cracked on our brand new 3 week old Delta Ti, the dealer covered the cost of a new housing and I fitted it. The cracking was caused by the Truma Ultraflow pistol grip connection which isn't the best of designs. Yes, I could have got the dealer to replace the Truma pump as well but we bought our own replacement Whale pump and haven't looked back. http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/122070386642?_trksid=p2057872. m2749. l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Do you think these Whale made connectors are better made than the Truma original ones?

Regards, David

Thanks Easy T. On its way.

Richard and Jan, send your pump back to Truma with proof of when you bought the caravan. They should send you a replacement f. o. c. alternatively take it back to the dealer to do it for you, but remember, if tha' wants a job doin reet, do it thesen. ....Peter

Thanks peterjohn, I will send direct. Nothing to lose at it's toast anyway.

I have wondered if the pump really likes being operated at 14. 4V when the solar controller (newly fitted Victron Energy MPPT 75/15) goes though its absorption phase and off EHU. In contrast, when the BCA dual output mains charger takes it up to 14. 4V the separately supplied master circuits, including pump are held at 13. 8V. I've not found any information about max voltage for these pumps though.

Richard.

David Park, on 04 Nov 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:David Park, on 04 Nov 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:David Park, on 04 Nov 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:David Park, on 04 Nov 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Do you think these Whale made connectors are better made than the Truma original ones?

Most definitely :) . The Whale connector is sooooo much easier to push in and pull out. Why Truma haven't modified it, as Whale have done, is beyond me :unsure: .

Personally I wouldn't have another Truma submersible pump even it was offered as a warranty replacement - same rubbish, different bucket lol.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Our Truma Ultraflow submersible just fried completely last weekend after first chewing through a handful of 10A fuses - so I may try the Whale pump as your feedback is good. Looking around I think it is EP1642 that has the Ultraflow pistol grip compatible connector. Did you manage to do better than £50 inc. shipping?

Wondering if my original Truma submersible pump is covered by the 3 year Truma warranty given the expense to replace - or is it considered a consumable?!

Hi, Yes you are correct, my mistake it is EP1642 and was 338. 50 from The Caravan Shop Great Western Road Glasgow G49HT.

Is there more than one type of connector as that does not look like mine?

Ebay has new ones for auction and present bid £10.

Sorry i got the No wrong it should have read EP1642. The "wire" is a retainer for the blue cover that fits over the caravan wall connector plug, keeps it clean and protects any lubricant you may have on the "O" rings.

Thanks Easy T. On its way.

I have wondered if the pump really likes being operated at 14. 4V when the solar controller (newly fitted Victron Energy MPPT 75/15) goes though its absorption phase and off EHU. In contrast, when the BCA dual output mains charger takes it up to 14. 4V the separately supplied master circuits, including pump are held at 13. 8V. I've not found any information about max voltage for these pumps though.

Richard.

My controller takes the battery up to nearly 15v in the equalisation mode but my truma pump never misses a beat, however as its about 14 years old the construction of them could have changed.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

It shouldn't make any difference because the charge should go first into the battery, then at battery voltage, to the pump. Highly unlikely to go direct from panel to pump. .......Peter

Richard.

Retired and loving it.

The Whale sub pump with Truma Ultraflow compatible connector (EP1642) arrived today (using link suggested by Easy T above).

It looks and feels like an improvement. As has been said, the hose is more flexible and feels like the pump should settle to the bottom of the aquaroll without curling up and without a fight even after being delivered curled up (not actually tried for real yet). The compatible Easi-Press Plug seems more robust than the Truma pistol grip and the dust cover is a good addition. Will not get to try it until the new year now though.

It shouldn't make any difference because the charge should go first into the battery, then at battery voltage, to the pump. Highly unlikely to go direct from panel to pump. .......Peter

Agree there will be some loss in the wires by the time you get to the pump, but the panel, battery and all consumers are effectively connected in parallel and will pretty much all be at the same voltage. The battery is brought up to the MPPT output which is voltage regulated during absorption.

You are swines you lot! I have been noticing the issue of pump run on and have also been frustrated by the inflexibility of the truma pipe. Having read this, I have now had to go out and buy a whale pump - thanks guys and gals - cost me £42 with a penny change (yup. ebay!).

Seriously though, thanks. I will let you know the result after next weekend when we are in Banbury!

Martin W :P

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

The Truma outer blue cover is terrible.

Truma are aware of it as I told them :-) of course they fobbed me off.

As I had a failed Whale from a previous caravan I took the Whale blue outer cover and fitted it in place of the Truma one, what an improvement.

You know people who make caravans and equipment no doubt do not caravan.

Regards, David

The Truma outer blue cover is terrible.

You know people who make caravans and equipment no doubt do not caravan.

Been saying that for years. One day they will take up my offer of using their caravan before production, to fing its weak spots. I could save them thousands, but, no, no one wants to know :-(. . ......Peter

• Like 1

Retired and loving it.

Been saying that for years. One day they will take up my offer of using their caravan before production, to fing its weak spots. I could save them thousands, but, no, no one wants to know :-(. . ......Peter

It's like the introduction of the "silly sink, without integrated drainer" in the VIP and other ranges and the round shower (as opposed to the square fitted in other range) the Coachman rep at one show said when challenged why the change?, said " Its what our customers want" I said not what I want I never got asked??

So who are these so called customers who want a sink with no draining board and a smaller shower where the wardrobe used to be??

• Like 2

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Thanks everyone for your comments, it certainly helps to have other peoples views to make informed decisions.

I too had been having the run on problems and even the pump not running unless it was reset at the panel.

Whale ep 1642 on order should get it Thursday.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.