How Do You Sleep?

macafee2

This is aimed at those people that use the front or rear seats as beds and not those that use fixed beds.

Do you turn the seats into one bed so you and your partner can sleep together or do you sleep separately, one on each "seat"

macafee2

We make it up as a double with a topper - and sleep perfectly. Why the question?

We make the front up as a double but sleep along the seats, I have a memory foam on my side.

• Like 1

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Separately - only very occasionally make up the double, but it's too much like hard work. We're actually looking to change the van for a model with fixed single beds.

Edited by Glen and Les
  • Like 2

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

In the 30 odd we've been caravaning we've always made the bed up as a double with a double sleeping bag, however this year for the first time we've had single beds. .....this came about because hubby had a sprained ankle and thought he would be more comfortable sleeping on his own, I found the single beds easier to make up and hubby couldn't keep pinching all the sleeping bag.

Two singles, I'm too cold so have 3 season sleeping bag plus an electric throw early and late in the season, and she's too hot so just about everything gets thrown off unless there's ice or snow on the van!

• Like 1

With the other caravan we always made two singles.

• Like 1

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Made up as an enormous double (no chest in our van) and then used as a single. Don't ask!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We changed our caravan this year from a 4 berth fixed double to a 2 berth Swift Challenger. The seats flip over and have memory foam on the underside, so we are happy to sleep separately. Our caravan had Alde heating with radiators around the sleeping area so we are really warm and comfy.

• Like 1

Ern

Before we had a fixed bed job we always used the front seats as two singles. Now we have a fixed bed we use it as two singles, i. e. We have two single duvets. One lightweight and the other medium weight to suit our needs.

Edited by sulyka

Separately - only very occasionally make up the double, but it's too much like hard work. We're actually looking to change the van for a model with fixed single beds.

Never wanted a "fixed bed" hard core us! Changed to twin fixed beds 3 months ago, Why did we wait so long!! L con 570. Beds long enjoyed ugh for me at 6'3"
  • Like 1

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

We used them as two singles,saves one disturbing the other during midnight excursions to the loo

+1 +1 +1

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

We are still in our 20s so double bed for us.

We have a memory foam topper which makes the bed very comfortable.

• Like 4

Nah, Blond sleeps in long single at front and I sleep in permanently made down double in rear with memory foam for added comfort. This is because if van goes on fire I can get out quick and / or am nearest fire extinguisher !!.

OR is there an alternative reason for this arrangement ?????????

Singles for last 30 years.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We make it up as a double with a topper - and sleep perfectly. Why the question?

wife and I sleep in made up bed. friends sleep in singles, reason as someone else mentioned, for going to the loo but we don't find it a problem. Also wife does not want to sleep alone, wants to sleep cuddled up to me.

I'd then be tempted to ask those that sleep separate, do you walk hand mainly hand in hand or arm in arm, mixture of both on neither? How often does your partner laugh at things you say or do, couple of times a day, less then 1 a day, rarely.

I ask the additional questions as our friends don't seem to act very loving, don't walk hand in hand etc and neither seem to laugh at things the other says or does.

macafee2

• Like 5

Dinette made up as a cross-double with 50 oz sleeping bags zipped together as a double - except single nights en route when we use the settees as singles - it's worked well enough for nearly 4 decades so why change? At least this way, I get a bed longer than I am! The sleeping bags are a bit OTT in summer so we just sleep on top.

It's a minority opinion I know but IMO fixed beds are a total waste of space during the day.

• Like 2

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

wife and I sleep in made up bed. friends sleep in singles, reason as someone else mentioned, for going to the loo but we don't find it a problem. Also wife does not want to sleep alone, wants to sleep cuddled up to me.

I'd then be tempted to ask those that sleep separate, do you walk hand mainly hand in hand or arm in arm, mixture of both on neither? How often does your partner laugh at things you say or do, couple of times a day, less then 1 a day, rarely.

I ask the additional questions as our friends don't seem to act very loving, don't walk hand in hand etc and neither seem to laugh at things the other says or does.

macafee2

Neither of us sleep walk :blink:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We have two fixed singles in the rear, one for the wife, one for my 7 year old.

Then I use one of the front sofas as a single. It is plenty big enough, if a little hard, so I use a Duvalay.

Spot on arrangement, no climbing over each other and no bed making up at night (except for the 15 second unrolling of the Duvalay)

Works so well, I have removed the pull out centre section of bed base.

Gives me 7kg of payload back.

Edited by kilham5

Thumb.jpg.f255c7e57524ea1128623188ab0d66c5.jpg 2016 Caravan is SOLD.   With very happy new owner

we use as two single beds we did consider getting a fixed bed van but think the the beds are too small. then we comtemplated fixed singles but are sticking to just using the front as singles when we get the new van .

www. justgiving. com/fundraising/TamiTurner

We have wrap round seating, (no Chest) If we are on a stop over 1 night used as single's. Longer stops used as a huge double! Our Elddis Affinity has Ozio seating with sleep this side on the under side! and we do?

Edited by David P

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

We have wrap round seating, (no Chest) If we are on a stop over 1 night used as single's. Longer stops used as a huge double! Our Elddis Affinity has Ozio seating with sleep this side on the under side! and we do?

Took out the chest in our previous van and got upholsterer to make wrap around in original cloth. Enabled either to get up without crawling over one another and made bed massive. Have ordered new van with same.

• Like 2

Everything goes to Entropy . ......... In this world.

When we had a tourer, we had and used the fixed bed. I wished we had used the singles.

We now have a static with proper double, I wish we could have singles.

At home we have a king size, I hope one day we can have singles.

We walk hand in hand, she laughs at my jokes (they are funny though), I love to cuddle. I just don't like the central heating that a woman emits from her body.

H.

• Like 4

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink: