• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, historic motorsport, my dogs.
  • Towcar:2014 Kia Sorento KX-2
  • Caravan:2016 Swift Conqueror 645

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:49 pm

The owners have gone to extraordinary lengths to try and make this the ultimate camping experience. The pitches are large, level and serviced hard standings. The showers and toilets are of the standard of a top hotel and the reception/shop/cafe is immaculately presented with a covered heated outdoor seating area. A huge dog walk area is on site.

Click here to view the UK campsite review

#2 mayblossom

mayblossom

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening. walking.
  • Towcar:Not any more
  • Caravan:not anymore

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:03 pm

Looks a beautiful site and lovely big pitches. Did you hear any road noise from the A27? Always a concern of mine as I'm such a light sleeper.

#3 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:09 pm

Looks a beautiful site and lovely big pitches. Did you hear any road noise from the A27? Always a concern of mine as I'm such a light sleeper.

I'm a very light sleeper too but although there is some road noise from the A27 you soon zone out of noticing it too much. We both slept for 10 hours last night straight through, I'm normally lucky to get 3 or 4 at home!

#4 mayblossom

mayblossom

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:31 pm

10 hours would be heaven! Sounds like a great site :)

#5 Ern

Ern

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Interests:Europe travel.
    Living a long time.
  • Towcar:Volvo V70 SEL 2.4D Geartronic
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:14 pm

We stayed there at the end of July. The pitches are coarse stone - the type that jockey wheels don't like. The shower block is a wooden building with wooden floor a bit like a nice a Portacabin and although the shower cubicles are modern wet room style, the actual showers aren't really that good in my opinion. I suspect the wooden structure of the building won't be too good after a bit of wear and tear. We have been to sites in Spain and Germany way better in this regard. I don't think the site has much character either. Not really worth the money in my opinion.

#6 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:35 pm

Surprised the showers weren't to your liking. I found them exceptionally good, no limit on time and the whole environment really pleasant. I have a pneumatic jockey wheel, no problem on the gravel, still each to his own I suppose? I get what you mean about the log cabins but time will tell. At the moment the owners are really enthusiastic about cleanliness and maintenance as they are both there every day, just hope they can keep it up.

#7 kiaman

kiaman

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life to the full!

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:58 pm

A bit on the pricey side for my liking, plenty of nice sites out there offering really good 7 day discounts at this time of year (7 nights for what this site charges for 3 nights!)

• mayblossom likes this

#8 Ern

Ern

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts
  • Interests:Europe travel.
    Living a long time.
  • Towcar:Volvo V70 SEL 2.4D Geartronic
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:40 am

Surprised the showers weren't to your liking. I found them exceptionally good, no limit on time and the whole environment really pleasant. I have a pneumatic jockey wheel, no problem on the gravel, still each to his own I suppose? I get what you mean about the log cabins but time will tell. At the moment the owners are really enthusiastic about cleanliness and maintenance as they are both there every day, just hope they can keep it up.

I don't know which people you thought were the owners but we saw 6 people all together wearing the tee shirt.

#9 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:55 am

Tracey and Guy are the owners assisted by (I believe)Tracey's parents and two staff. plans for expansion to cope with the demand from future bookings, we've already booked for New Year and are planning some breaks here next year. Quality comes at a price and I for one find the quality and exclusivity of this place worth the money.

#10 mayblossom

mayblossom

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:18 am

Were there any tents on site while you were there? We have a tent for quick weekends as our van is kept at the Old Oaks and can't always get in for a quick weekend so we're looking at this site....noticed the price is the same for tents as for caravans.

#11 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:01 pm

Yes there are some hardy tenters here. Noticed the road noise not so intrusive today being a Saturday but as I said before you tend to zone out from it after a short while. We live only a couple of hundred yards from the A24 and find the noise level about the same. See what tomorrow afternoon brings. At home the problem is groups of bikers racing each other up and down the A24 flat out for hours on end interspersed by the occasional token police car wailing.

#12 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:30 am

Had our second stay here over new year. Again a very nice experience with a great atmosphere as the site was full. Definitely worth the extra money it is a place we will return to again and again.

#13 GeorgeMatthews

GeorgeMatthews

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts
  • Towcar:Ford Mondeo III Wagon
  • Caravan:Coachman VIP 545

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:51 pm

wow this looks like a great site to pitch up at! I have to put this on my 'places to go' list for this year.

#14 SKH

SKH

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Towcar:Volvo XC60
  • Caravan:2015 Coachman Pastiche 520/4

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:21 pm

I realise it is a completely different style of camping ( but will still get pilloried for this post anyway) but I have just looked at the prices for 3 nights in June with a Caravan £194.00 !!! We go to CCC Temporary Holiday Site meets for 3 weeks for that money, ok no facilities but friendly people and always have a great time. Each to his own and I am pleased people enjoy this site but not for us.
  • Tuningdrew likes this

#15 DeeTee

DeeTee

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Interests:Photography,

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:00 am

I realise it is a completely different style of camping ( but will still get pilloried for this post anyway) but I have just looked at the prices for 3 nights in June with a Caravan £194.00 !!! We go to CCC Temporary Holiday Site meets for 3 weeks for that money, ok no facilities but friendly people and always have a great time. Each to his own and I am pleased people enjoy this site but not for us.

I was unable to find a proper price list, except ti find that awnings are charged as extras, nor the T&Cs.

#16 Tuningdrew

Tuningdrew

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:15 am

You won't get pilloried from me! As you say each to his own and I admit it is expensive. For us on a short break its great but we wouldn't  even consider a temporary site with no facilities as we like serviced pitches when we holiday!

That though is the beauty of our hobby, there's something for everyone out there. Just as long as you're having a great time that's the beginning and end of it.

• SKH likes this

#17 SKH

SKH

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Towcar:Volvo XC60
  • Caravan:2015 Coachman Pastiche 520/4

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:44 pm

I was unable to find a proper price list, except ti find that awnings are charged as extras, nor the T&Cs.

You need to go into the booking section and enter dates to get a price.

#18 DeeTee

DeeTee

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • Interests:Photography,

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:22 pm

You need to go into the booking section and enter dates to get a price.

Thanks. My comment was a complaint about the website which does not have a price list, nor the Terms & Conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users