Lock & Level 5*

J1966

First time a I used it over the weekend, wow what a simple device, on pitch our twin axle caravan was way leaning to the left and dipping down the pitch, lock and level sorted in 10 min, from retrieving from locker to fully pumped up and level, never budge an inch over the 4 days we where pitched.

One guy had a auto level system on a vanmaster, it failed, 3 legs down 1 up caravan mech was scratching his head trying to fathom it out, the lock & level deflated in under 5 mins rolled off packed away hitched up and gone.

• Like 2

Have to agree. In fact I've put a 12v 20amp socket in the wet locker on one side of the van and another in the battery compartment on the other! Makes it so easy to reach with the lead. Same can be said for tyre pump if needed.

In fact with our single axle van the leveling process takes rather less than 10 minutes - if it took that long I'd have ditched it by now!

Edited by John_b_45
  • Like 1

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

We have one and a foot pump ( it depends which side it's needed) easy peasey even for me!

• Like 1

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

It will be less time I had to get the pump out of the box fit a couple of things drive the car round to the other side of the van Ha Ha. I'm looking forward to using it next time.

• Like 2

lovely piece of kit, was dubious about it, but having a TA levelling was always an 'art' especially with alko locks. Bought one of these and tried it out in the summer, was very impressed how easy it was to level the van, no more blocks of wood and constantly checking. Just drive on, plug in the compressor and watch it rise to the level you want. Was fine for the week we used it, off to Spain for 3 weeks so be interesting to see how it gets on.

I did think about it being in direct sunlight I would be tempted to cover it, why I'm not sure something tell me about expansion and it only takes 30 psi, I did buy 2 cheap rubber matts from Aldi £1 each to place under the l&l to stop the stones from the pitch pushing on the bags.

First class especially for solo tower. No more going over the top of ramp or jumping in and out to check and recheck, love it.

• Like 2

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

Have to agree, we've got a TA & an Alko wheel lock - never did get on well with levelling ramps, but the Lock & Level is ideal.

I've got a little jump start battery pack (similar to this: https://www. amazon. co. uk/Compact-Portable-Advanced-Protection-Flashlight/dp/B011U6Q0K6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1470806484&sr=8-17&keywords=jump+start) & I've fitted an EC4 connector to my tyre compressor so I can easily inflate the Lock & Level on either side of the van.

I've also fitted the same connector to the pump for the Kampa air awning so getting set up is a breeze (sorry couldn't resist :) )

• Like 2

Man Maths Rules!

Have to agree, we've got a TA & an Alko wheel lock - never did get on well with levelling ramps, but the Lock & Level is ideal.

I've got a little jump start battery pack (similar to this: https://www. amazon. co. uk/Compact-Portable-Advanced-Protection-Flashlight/dp/B011U6Q0K6/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1470806484&sr=8-17&keywords=jump+start) & I've fitted an EC4 connector to my tyre compressor so I can easily inflate the Lock & Level on either side of the van.

I've also fitted the same connector to the pump for the Kampa air awning so getting set up is a breeze (sorry couldn't resist :) )

Don't you have to watch you don't overinflated with the awning?

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have a twin axle and i am thinking about getting the combo lock n level. Can you inflate the bags individually? As sometimes in storage neither if the locks line up by the time i am at the rear barrier and it would be too far out of my spot if i go forward. So it would be good if i can jack up the rear and put the front lock on then, jack up the front to put the rear lock on, if you know what i mean.

Thanks

Lee

Hi All,

I have a twin axle and i am thinking about getting the combo lock n level. Can you inflate the bags individually? As sometimes in storage neither if the locks line up by the time i am at the rear barrier and it would be too far out of my spot if i go forward. So it would be good if i can jack up the rear and put the front lock on then, jack up the front to put the rear lock on, if you know what i mean.

Thanks

Lee

Lee - that's exactly how the rein one works. There is a balancing valve that you use post inflation and that the allows you to spread the air across both wheels or just one if you want

You may want to see if this is still available:

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/classifieds/item/2364-lock-n-level-for-twin-axle/'%20title='Lock%20N%20Level%20For%20Twin%20Axle

Edited by milkymarsh

Have to agree. In fact I've put a 12v 20amp socket in the wet locker on one side of the van and another in the battery compartment on the other! Makes it so easy to reach with the lead. Same can be said for tyre pump if needed.

In fact with our single axle van the leveling process takes rather less than 10 minutes - if it took that long I'd have ditched it by now!

Snap! done exactly the same thing with extra 12v sockets

I am looking at one of these to replace my Milenco levellers.

Two things concern me.

1 - Durability, punctures etc, are these things really durable?

2 - Height of lift, it doesn't look much - any comments on this?

Cheers.

Lee - that's exactly how the rein one works. There is a balancing valve that you use post inflation and that the allows you to spread the air across both wheels or just one if you want

You may want to see if this is still available:

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/classifieds/item/2364-lock-n-level-for-twin-axle/'%20title='Lock%20N%20Level%20For%20Twin%20Axle

HI There,

I PM'd the seller last night to see if its still available :-)

Thanks

Lee

I am looking at one of these to replace my Milenco levellers.

Two things concern me.

1 - Durability, punctures etc, are these things really durable?

2 - Height of lift, it doesn't look much - any comments on this?

Cheers.

My concern too before buying. I wrote to ask about stones under it etc and the reply was basically no one had been back with a failure caused by a puncture. I have bought a small mat to place under it when on stony ground but the plastic is really thick and tough.

From memory lift is about 5 inches but check on the site.

Just as an edit you will find it not only lighter than the Milenco but easier to use and far less bulky to store

Edited by John_b_45
  • Like 1

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone who has this product seems to rate it highly. Got one question regarding it and would be grateful for any feedback.

About to change to a twin axle in the New Year and seriously considering purchasing a lock n level, more for ease of fitting both alko locks than for levelling. I understand using it on a pitch for a couple of weeks or so but what about when van is in storage? I'm not that bothered about it being perfectly level when parked up on my driveway but if I use it to fit the alko locks then I assume it needs to be left under the wheels whether inflated or not. Either that or the trolley jack needs to come out again. What do other twin axle owners do when putting their van in storage? A bit wary of leaving the product exposed long term to the elements, especially the frosts and snow of winter.

Thanks

Everyone who has this product seems to rate it highly. Got one question regarding it and would be grateful for any feedback.

About to change to a twin axle in the New Year and seriously considering purchasing a lock n level, more for ease of fitting both alko locks than for levelling. I understand using it on a pitch for a couple of weeks or so but what about when van is in storage? I'm not that bothered about it being perfectly level when parked up on my driveway but if I use it to fit the alko locks then I assume it needs to be left under the wheels whether inflated or not. Either that or the trolley jack needs to come out again. What do other twin axle owners do when putting their van in storage? A bit wary of leaving the product exposed long term to the elements, especially the frosts and snow of winter.

Thanks

Rob - it's very heavy gauge. The only thing I would recommend is some rubber matting underneath the bottom of it (even the manufacturers recommend this).

It's a cracking piece of kit

• Like 1

Thanks Milkymarsh, I think I will go ahead and purchase a combo. With my last twin axle I carried a trolley jack in the boot of the car and used that, although I never experienced any problems with the trolley jack, I never felt comfortable or confident when using it.

Thanks

As milkymarsh says, it's ok to leave underneath. I've had mine for just short of 2 years now, and only time it hasn't been under the van is when in transit, and on those rare (1 in 20) occasions when both receivers line up with the gaps between the spokes on the wheels. It's left deflated so no risk of a leak. If I remember, I put a rubber mat (cheapest car mat available) underneath when it's in our storage compound as that's on gravel, but I only remember to about half the time. ..

When in use actually levelling the van, the TA version does have an advantage over the SA version as it's failsafe. ..if you close the valve between the two chambers the absolute worst case is that one of them fails and that wheel sinks to the ground - the van would still be supported on the other wheel so no danger of the steadies taking the whole weight of the van. That said, I've yet to hear of anyone who's had a leak - there's more risk of some pillock deciding it's funny to let the air out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just the one, as only side to lift is the one that needs it other wheel is fine as usual

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

• 3 weeks later...