Does Anyone Actually Reverse On To A Pitch These Days?

ricky_s

Message added by CT Advertising,

One day Americans will wake up to the idea of motor movers!

• Like 1

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

One day Americans will wake up to the idea of motor movers!

Not much use on a fifth wheeler!!

• Like 1

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

Really? ;)

Gordon

this is what they used to use to take the space shuttle back to the launch site I think. ;)

Not much use on a fifth wheeler!!

They rarely need to reverse (and probably can't), many campgrounds simply have pull-throughts.

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

Really? ;)

Gordon

Are you really going to pack that with you to take while you are away?

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

I did yesterday and the gentleman that showed me to our pitch seamed impressed with the comment "Caravaner of the Year"

I just smiled and said thank you!

Andrew

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

Bighead !!

:)

• Like 1

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the (almost) ultimate reversing challenge unit today - a (very) stretched limousine with a small, short luggage trailer behind. I don't imagine he reverses into many spaces with that; in fact I could not imagine even reversing more than a few feet in a straight line - once it veered off line, it would be impossible to correct.

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

I recently stayed for four nights at a CC site and during that time I only observed two drivers reversing onto their pitches. Of the remainder the majority manhandled their caravans, when both pitching and hitching, often with the aid neighbouring caravanners.

Of the manhandlers only one did not have a motor mover. I overheard three drivers complaining that their movers had gone unserviceable and that they would have to get someone to fix them. Not a scientific survey but an indication of the variety ways of pitching.

I refuse to reverse the caravan with the car the reason being, with my last car I broke the Dual Mass Flywheel which I put down to reversing the caravan when putting it back into storage.

Basically if you notice your clutch control when you reverse you constantly slip the clutch which in turn generates heat, this I'm putting down as the reason for my dmf early demise, so now when placing the caravan it's motor mover only.

Edited by Dewsbury Duo
  • Like 1

I refuse to reverse the caravan with the car the reason being, with my last car I broke the Dual Mass Flywheel which I put down to reversing the caravan when putting it back into storage.

Basically if you notice your clutch control when you reverse you constantly slip the clutch which in turn generates heat, this I'm putting down as the reason for my dmf early demise, so now when placing the caravan it's motor mover only.

There is a solution if you check out post #82 earlier in this thread and copied below, and you never know when you may have no choice but to reverse while towing, so best to be prepared.

Gordon.

What "kills" DMF's is excessive heat (it destroys the temper of the springs within the DMF)

Excessive heat is cause by slipping the clutch, be that holding the car on a hill (big no-no, that's what the handbrake is for) OR slipping the clutch whilst reversing. If you can smell your hot clutch then it's too late!! The damage has been done and cannot be reversed.

Modern engine ECU's have "anti stall" software, so the "trick" if you wish to reverse with your caravan attached is to leave the throttle totally alone!!!!! let the clutch pedal up slowly (with NO additional revs above normal tickover) until the clutch is fully engaged, and then allow the anti-stall software to do its job, your rig will trickle backwards (or forwards if required) with NO slipping of the clutch. If you find you are going to quickly JUST DIP THE CLUTCH for a moment or two, then let it back up again (no throttle input whatsoever!!!) You clutch will last a lot longer if you adopt that procedure.

Give it a try, it really does work.

Andy

Yes I'm aware of edc but only really works on even ground and then it depends on how many revs are needed,

At least someone else recognised and attributed slipping the clutch to dmf destruction.

On hill holding my car has an electric handbrake fantastic invention won't buy a car without it now ideal towing aid.

Edited by Dewsbury Duo

They also suggested a way to overcome it.

What a great delight they are for anyone following, as they keep the brake lights illuminated to blind anyone waiting behind. I find this especially irritating when it is raining, and often feel obliged to lower the sun visor temporarily. What's wrong with using the normal parking brake, after all anyone passing a UK test will have been taught how to use it! Anything else for more than a few seconds is inconsiderate laziness in my opinion :(

Towing or not, if adjusted correctly the parking brake is perfectly capable of preventing vehicle movement.

Please do not take my comments personally, but I do disagree with you on both of these points.

Rallier

My electronic handbrake doesn't put the brake lights on, I think your confusing hill hold, which on all the cars we have had turns off after several seconds with a warning beep first.

The electronic handbrake works in the same way as a manual one apart from you actuate it with a switch, and then release it with raising the clutch and depressing the accelerater, perfect hill starts every time no roll back, no holding on the clutch and definitely no brake lights on.

Edited by Dewsbury Duo

Rallier - after extensive research, it has been determined that here in the whole of the UK, there are only two people using their hand brake every time at lights and in traffic.

One is you and (shock, horror), I am the other.

The rest waste 63 watts of energy at every opportunity.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I apologise if I have mixed up the two systems.

My comment about the inappropriate use of brake lights still holds though, and drivers that do not use the parking brake when stopped continue to cause unnecessary irritation to other drivers.

Rallier

Not a problem ☺

Rallier - after extensive research, it has been determined that here in the whole of the UK, there are only two people using their hand brake every time at lights and in traffic.

One is you and (shock, horror), I am the other.

The rest waste 63 watts of energy at every opportunity.

Wisp Man, make that 3 . ... now that we have an EPB and comes off with just driving off . .... I use mine all the time . .... but then I did before . ....

Oh, and we are on a CS just outside Dornoch, not a lot of space but I reversed on to the pitch. First manoeuvre worked.

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.