2016 Buccaneer Rear Panel Crazing.

Hello, anyone suffered crazing of the rear panel on a 2016 (or 15 come to that) Buccaneer, I say crazing, as I am unsure how to describe it. Its not cracked as in deep into or right through the panel, it seems to be just in the surface finish. It is emerging from the top left hand corner of the off side rear grab handle. From there it spreads out like fork lightening both horizontal across and vertically up the panel, the longest from memory is c200/250mm.

Went to pick up the new van Saturday and came home without one. 100% convinced when did the first two walk rounds it was not there, finished the rest of handover including self leveling, wheel locks and motor mover demos, one last walk round and there it is.

Steve

Steve

RR & BC

Haven't noticed it on mine.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

Not on mine either, thank fully!

Davros

Hello, anyone suffered crazing of the rear panel on a 2016 (or 15 come to that) Buccaneer, I say crazing, as I am unsure how to describe it. Its not cracked as in deep into or right through the panel, it seems to be just in the surface finish. It is emerging from the top left hand corner of the off side rear grab handle. From there it spreads out like fork lightening both horizontal across and vertically up the panel, the longest from memory is c200/250mm.

Went to pick up the new van Saturday and came home without one. 100% convinced when did the first two walk rounds it was not there, finished the rest of handover including self leveling, wheel locks and motor mover demos, one last walk round and there it is.

Steve

Really sorry to hear your couldn't collect your new van, you must be gutted?

Are you waiting for a new van or a solution / repair? - Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck.

Davros

Sounds like classic Gel coat Cracking. Not something I would accept on a new van, let alone one that is supposed to be top of line. Google 'Gel coat cracking' assuming the rear panel is GRP.

In simplistic terms the Gel coat on GRP is the semi waterproof glossy surface finish. At best any cracks in it will show more and more as they get dirt in them and at worst, if deep enough (and the only way to know is grind them out and fill ) can eventually over the years affect the overall strength and structure of the panel.

Endemic in the caravan industry and something dealers are at pains to dismiss as cosmetic. (until you try to part ex that is)

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Is the rear panel on a 2016 GRP?

On our earlier model just the front panel is GRP the rear is plastic, ABS I think.

The front panel of ours exhibited stress cracks (spidering) shortly after new and under warranty due to a piece of wooden framework pressing against the inside of the area affected.

The GRP panel manufacturers were sent out to repair it.

When I say repair it, they ground out the cracks with an angle grinder!!!, filled them in, rubbed them down and sprayed with matching paint.

Looked OK at the time but now a few years later shaddowing can be seen where the repair was done and the paint has faded at a different rate to the rest of the panel and is clearly noticable.

When we eventually sell it someone will think that it has hit something. :angry:

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Steve

What did the dealer have to say about the crazing?

Had a quick look at mine but so much dirt it is difficult to tell, there might be a small crack running from the top of one handle.

We go home tomorrow so will wash the van and take pictures on Wednesday.

Might be due to people using the handles to manhandle the van, they are quite a small surface area against the gel coat for a heavy van.

Ian

Think we need to keep a close eye on this one fellows

Hi all,

Yes very gutted we could not have it, being philosophical that's life. Dealer obviously very sorry and just as deflated as we are. My good lady and I went away to discuss and we decided not to reject it because the rest of the van is everything we want and so loverly and so well prepared. I really believe we can resolve this to everyone's satisfaction. As someone said when I joined this forum there have been many bumpy roads pass under caravans in the last 20+ years we have not owned one. Maybe this is our first pothole if you will excuse the pun ?.

Will keep you posted if interested?

From what I am reading who's law is that says: I probably have to be the first? ?

Steve

• Like 1

Steve

RR & BC

Our concern is that we are having the Paintseal treatment plus a Satfi dome fitted onto the caravan plus the air con being trasnferred. Once the dome is fitted the feet cannot be removed easily, if at all. We would be upset if this work was done and then on collection found an issue with the panels. The air con can easily be removed, but not the other two and we would be seriously out of pocket. I am not sure how far the Consumer Rights Act goes to cover you for these eventualities.

Our concern is that we are having the Paintseal treatment plus a Satfi dome fitted onto the caravan plus the air con being trasnferred. Once the dome is fitted the feet cannot be removed easily, if at all. We would be upset if this work was done and then on collection found an issue with the panels. The air con can easily be removed, but not the other two and we would be seriously out of pocket. I am not sure how far the Consumer Rights Act goes to cover you for these eventualities.

Maybe best to inspect the van before extras fitted

Maybe best to inspect the van before extras fitted

Thanks. Have emailed the dealer about viewing before extras are fitted.

Edited by DeltaTIowner
  • Like 1

Checked our van today, nothing obvious, but will keep checking on a regular basis, as it is just sitting in the garden.

Fingers crossed for everyone it's a one off, a flaw or something in the panel, as I said it's the top coat not the panel structure as per some cracks I have read about here. As my good lady pointed out earlier we are having that year. In the greater scheme of things of our year so far, it's a very small setback.

Steve

Steve

RR & BC

I am glad you have posted that stillroaming, as I pick my schooner up on Thursday, but because of this thread I had it down to check the panels before I part with the hard earned ( along with a long list of other things which may take me an hour to go through). But it did have my heart fluttering a bit.

(along with a long list of other things which may take me an hour to go through).

An hour or so. We were 2 3/4 hours into our handover when we discovered the issue. A fantastically detailed handover everything that did something was shown to be fully operational on all appropriate power sources. Even access to the roof was provided on request.

I truly hope she is all you expect and more when you go to pick her up ?

Steve

Edited by Stillroaming

Steve

RR & BC

It appears New Buccaneers go well with Range Rovers, as per posts. LOL

• Like 1

Checked mine today and what looked like a small crack was in fact a bit of mastic.

Ian

I noticed that too Simon645. Travelled to Austria, Italy, France towing a Valencia, makes for a very comfortable and relaxing journey. I also get better fuel economy than when i had a Vauxhall insignia and Saab.

I think I might have seen something like this on some dealer demonstrators earlier in the year.

My memory is hopeless but this does ring a bell about a rear panel surface defect that you had to catch at a certain angle, sure it was on more than one van.

It looked poor but I'm sure I thought that it was just cosmetic bit like orange peel paint work on a new car.

It's difficult to reject a van as there has been so much excitement leading up to collection. Picked up a new Golf R the other day only to find on my first walk around a screwdriver gouge on one panel! Found something else since then as well. ..

Tug:VW Touareg 4. 2 TDI V8

Tugged: Bucaneer Schooner

Earlier in the eyar we queried the dealer about the 1 year warranty on the panels and Tuesday just gone we requested if we could view our caravan before they fitted on the air con and satellite dome. The dealer then cancelled the order as they said they do not want to stress us out and refunded our deposit? It does raise concerns about the rear panels. We will either keep our current caravan or find another Buccaneer dealership, but at the moment the wife does not want to talk about it as she is still very upset.

Earlier in the eyar we queried the delaer about the 1 year warranty on the panels and Tuesday just gone we requested if we could view our caravan before they fitted on the air con and satellite dome. The dealer then cancelled the order as they said they do not want to stress us out and refunded our deposit? It does raise concerns about the rear panels. We will either keep our current caravan or find another Buccaneer dealership, but at the moment the wife does not want to talk about it as she is still very upset.

It's a shame I hope you find something that will raise your spirits. The dealer cancelling the order does make you wonder as you say.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Delta tl owner who was the dealer. Pb in glos

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

I don't think it would be a good idea to confirm the dealer's name on the forum. I think that they may have had concerns that if there was an issue and we had the units fitted onto the caravan, they would be seriously out of pocket if a refund was requested. However that would not have been our intention as we woudl have simply requested for the panel to be replaced as we really liked the Cruiser. At the moment the wife is against sourcing one elsewhere as I think she does not want to be let down again and prefers to stick with our current caravan.

That's a real shame DT, to get so close and then have the dealer cancel must be so disappointing, I really feel for you and Mrs DT.

In the first instance I would suggest you check your order form and contractual details, I'm not sure the dealer can legally cancel the contract for the reason they have stated.

On the other hand, is that a battle you want to get into, especially with the potential problem with your Lunar (how are you getting on with that, is there any positive news?) if the dealer have no confidence in either themselves or the product then maybe you are better off out of it, although I bet it doesn't feel that way right now.

I'm quite a pragmatic chap and believe that whatever set backs happen to us in life we must move on and get on with it, dwelling on what has already happened cannot change anything, what we can effect is what we do next and your energy needs to be focussed on moving on.

That's easy for me to say I know, but its April, the season is under way and a few days off in the Lunar may change yours or Mrs DT's perspective. Lets face it the Lunar isn't a bad van to have and with the 2017 models just 6 months away you may get a bargain on a 2016 or a spec upgrade on a 2017!!

Whatever you decide to do I sincerely wish you all the best.

Davros

• Like 1

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.