Why Do We Bother?

Jaydug

Yes! - why do we bother?

I read this cry for help - http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/112495-avondale-rialto-555-4-window/
Having decided I could be of assistance I went to considerable trouble to take pictures, take measurements, upload pictures, mark them for dimensions then post them in the reply boxes.

That was all three weeks ago and. .......... she hasn't been back . ... :angry:

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I'm with Steve on this.

However, there's nowt so queer as folk and then again there might be circumstances which are preventing her from replying. She could have been run over by a bus.

Jayjug, rest satisfied at that.

Pete

The lady has been a member since 2012, made her one and only posting on Jan 22nd 2016 and hasn't been back on the forum since.

That's the trouble with the internet, there are just too many sources of information. You discover a problem, you go flailing around Google trying to find solutions, clutching at straws, posting here and there. Then you find the answer and forget about all the other people you asked for help!

Perhaps "thanks in advance" would have sufficed, though Jaydug did go the extra mile!

• Like 4

Suffolk Coast, Bailey U3 Vigo, Hyundai Tucson Premium SE 2. 0

I wasn't suggesting that a thankyou wasn't necessary, just clarifying the reason for the post.

A thankyou is always appreciated after providing some assistance, but it doesn't happen very often.

I think it's nice to know if the info that you've provide has helped (or even hindered). It also confirms to others who might have a similar problem that a working solution is available.

It's the interchange of ideas, queries and solutions that make this site so useful to most of us and knowing what works and what doesn't adds to the pool of information. Feed back is helps everyone.

I don't think that anyone who tries to help does it because they want a thanks, although that's just good manners IMO, Something that's sadly lacking nowadays

I always acknowledge a helpful posting (I think! :unsure: ) Some people go the extra mile to help. ;)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Jay, I did notice on the helpful images you posted that you have a CC sticker of some sort on the front window.

Some while ago, I had an owners club badge on my window in the same place - it was one of those that clings on like the old tax disc holders - no glue. I later removed it, but the damage was done and a whole load of spidery crazing developed where it had been, and kept on spreading till I sold the van.

So, what you are looking for is a thankyou.

No - not at all. If the lady had come back and said her windows were completely different to mine, that would have been ok by me. To my mind asking a question on a forum isn't much different to you asking a question in a bar or a room full of people. The individual who answers your question wouldn't expect you to turn your back on them - would you? A little bit of courtesy costs nothing.

• Like 4

you have a CC sticker of some sort on the front window.

a whole load of spidery crazing developed where it had been,

I remove it every five years and apply a new one. They peel off quite easily. But I know what you mean and thank you for your concern.

Yes! - why do we bother?

I read this cry for help - http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/112495-avondale-rialto-555-4-window/

Having decided I could be of assistance I went to considerable trouble to take pictures, take measurements, upload pictures, mark them for dimensions then post them in the reply boxes.

That was all three weeks ago and. .......... she hasn't been back . ... :angry:

It is quite possible that the person forgot to check to receive notifications and now cannot find the forum.

Just to add. There is an Isabella awning for sale on the classifieds on CT and we responded on behalf of a friend and even left an email address, but they never contacted us. So much for wanting to sell the goods.

It is quite possible that the person forgot to check to receive notifications and now cannot find the forum.

In my experience, the notification system doesn't work. On several occasions I have asked for a notification and got nothing, unless I'm doing it wrong. .

Edited by Chalky9

Suffolk Coast, Bailey U3 Vigo, Hyundai Tucson Premium SE 2. 0

No - not at all. If the lady had come back and said her windows were completely different to mine, that would have been ok by me. To my mind asking a question on a forum isn't much different to you asking a question in a bar or a room full of people. The individual who answers your question wouldn't expect you to turn your back on them - would you? A little bit of courtesy costs nothing.

I agree with you John but I guess we are old school!

• Like 1

I wasn't suggesting that a thankyou wasn't necessary, just clarifying the reason for the post.

A thankyou is always appreciated after providing some assistance, but it doesn't happen very often.

Yes it does ! Have been doing a bit of research on CT and have seen many many Posts received with Thanks or started with appreciation. ..

• Like 1

Soakster pulling a 2 Berth Bailey Pageant with a Mercedes E350 Coupe Sport Tip Auto Blue Efficiency and "Loving It" :P

I like to think that even if the OP does not come back, then a future member will want and finds that information. So the replies are not wasted.

Look at eBays forums called Community, and they are full of knowledgable advice and people never coming back to acknowledge the help. It is the way of the internet but lets carry on replying anyway, just in case the poster comes back.

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Just to add. There is an Isabella awning for sale on the classifieds on CT and we responded on behalf of a friend and even left an email address, but they never contacted us. So much for wanting to sell the goods.

Admin Comment:

Classified ads have a report button. Please use this if members are not responding, and we can remove the advert

A little bit of courtesy costs nothing.

I totally agree Jaydug. Some people obviously were not dragged up proper like wot we wos. :)

• Like 1

I'm not afraid of hard work,  I'm terrified of it! If you don't swear when you're driving, you're not paying attention! I like children but can't eat a whole one.  If you can't say something nice, don't say anything! Don't call me an idiot, I would take it as a compliment. Not all my ducks are in a row, some are missing and I think one is a pigeon. I know my place, under my wife's thumb!