Sleeping Arrangements

bighair

Hi All. We are changing the van again to a two berth because of space at home etc. Just doing a deal on a new Lunar Stella. Question for of all you people that makeup the bed. What do you use on top and bottom? We had a memory foam topper on the last two berth which was heavy and hard to put on. We tried another quilt on the bottom before that. Don't like sleeping bags very much and the one duvalay we have is a bit narrow for me.

Any advice and ideas appreciated.

Thanks Andy

Lunar Stellar and Mercedes C Class estate 220 Sport

Bottom sheet, then an old thin quilt to iron out the bumps. Then a true bottom sheet, then me and then a quilt.

• Like 3

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We just used two duvalays when we had a two berth and slept as two singles, couldn't be bothered to make the double up every night, left them made up throughout the Summer months as we spent the days in the awning. Loved the Duvalays, so cosy :)

• Like 3

Depends whether or not you intend using the beds as singles or a double. We have to make beds each night because we have a side dinette layout, but we usually use them as singles, so use Duvalays, which we find ideal and they are almost the width of the caravan seat, so can't see that they're too narrow. If we make up the double we put them side by side on the mattress. However, if you are planning on mostly using the bed as a double, I would probably use two double duvets - one underneath and one over the top. Try this first as it won't cost so much and you can see how you get on.

Edited by Glen and Les
  • Like 3

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We tried the two duvalays on the fixed double when we changed vans and found them too cumbersome so brought a duvet which was fine until hubby's snoring and fidgeting drove me back to the front single on my own ( which was heaven ;) ) so after giving my two duvalays, complete with two sets of new covers to my friend, I went out and brought another one! Just love wasting money but hey ho it has to be right! Hehe xx

Edited by mayblossom
  • Like 3

Bottom sheet, then an old thin quilt to iron out the bumps. Then a true bottom sheet, then me and then a quilt.

You must have to start making up the bed straight after dinner to get it done by bedtime. :D

• Like 4

In the caravans we simply pulled out the front bed slats, flipped over the cushions to give a flat surface, and used a double sleeping bag directly on that. Total build up time about a minute! The motorhomes have had fixed beds with memory foam toppers and we use a fixed bottom sheet and a duvet.

Gordon.

We leave the beds made up as singles all the time - including the memory foam topper. When retiring we just pull out the slats in the centre and put the rear cushions on them which gives us a bit of leg stretching room as the single beds are a bit narrow. Works for us. ......

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

We have a double quilt (for the good lady) and a king size quilt for me. We tend to use ours as singles so we just lay the quilt doubled up and slide in, if we decide to go full size bed, then the double goes on the bottom and the king size on the top.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Hi All. We are changing the van again to a two berth because of space at home etc. Just doing a deal on a new Lunar Stella. Question for of all you people that makeup the bed. What do you use on top and bottom? We had a memory foam topper on the last two berth which was heavy and hard to put on. We tried another quilt on the bottom before that. Don't like sleeping bags very much and the one duvalay we have is a bit narrow for me.

Any advice and ideas appreciated.

Thanks Andy

Duvalay now do a wider model (77cm) as opposed to the standard 66cm.

http://www. duvalay. co. uk/Caravans/caravan-luxury-sleeping-bags/4cm-sleeping-bag-77cm

Ian

• Like 1

Duvalay now do a wider model (77cm) as opposed to the standard 66cm.

http://www. duvalay. co. uk/Caravans/caravan-luxury-sleeping-bags/4cm-sleeping-bag-77cm

Ian

We have the standard size and fits our seats perfectly, wonder if new vans ( ours is 2009 ) have wider seats to accommodate the extra 10 cm ? Edited by mayblossom

Our singles (at the front) are 30ins so the extra wide Duvalay would fit nicely, but I just place ours so that the gap is at the wall edge and the duvet part just fills in the gap. You never actually lie that tight to the wall anyway and wouldn't notice if you did - we only have the 2. 5cm bases, so not too thick.

Duvet to even out bumps, then double sleeping bag on top of that (could easily be a second duvet).

Light, cheap, quick, comfy.

We use the two front seats as single bunks. Amply long enough and wide enough for us. We both use sleeping bags but never zip the side up. OH has a wider one than me but both are summer weight as their is heating in the caravan is b=needed. :)

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

You have 3" more than us ! So new vans are probably deeper in the seat then :)

Coachman is in a wider body and no Alde heating means there's only a small ventilation gap between seat and wall. Not sure that the newest models are quite as wide, due to the Alde.

Coachman is in a wider body and no Alde heating means there's only a small ventilation gap between seat and wall. Not sure that the newest models are quite as wide, due to the Alde.

Have noticed you don't have as much room between the front seats in the newer vans, ours is wider too with plenty of leg room. ...or should I say dog room ;)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Have you thought of turning the seat cushions over before making up the bed. ...no bumps to iron out. ...nice n flat