3Rd Service Completed.

Glen and Les

Well, today we collected our van after having its third service yesterday and we still have damp readings of between 18/23% under the three front windows, despite having the seals changed under warranty last Sep/Oct. Of course, the weather has been pretty wet over the last few months, but other areas of the van are satisfactory, indicating that we may still have a problem.

When the seals were replaced it was noted that the middle window was bowed, but Coachman won't entertain a warranty claim to replace this, as windows are only covered for 2 years - I am in contact with them regarding this, as the damp was first discovered at the second service, just before the 2 year deadline. I will be contacting them again on Monday to progress this further. In the meantime, van to go back in for further readings (again) in 3months!

On the plus side, the only other thing that needed attention was a loose wire to an internal LED light, which we weren't aware of, and a battery change in the smoke detector. If only we could get the front sorted too!

Will keep you posted.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Good luck with Coachman. We are booked in for our second service on Monday. The cassette door is down for replacement with damp. A high reading in the back top corner of the wardrobe last year disappeared at restest - so hopefully that hasn't returned. I'll also be seeing what can be done about the juddering shower door as it is now a bit annoying. It was fine when new. I think the shower has a 3 year warranty.

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

It's made me realise you need to look at the individual component warranty period, not just assume everything is covered for the full term. Now also make sure we book the service slightly ahead of the purchase anniversary date, to be certain of being within the terms of the warranty. Good luck with the shower door - got used to holding ours up slightly now when moving it!

Edited by Glen and Les

Well, having finally received a reply from Coachman this morning ( yes, I know it's Saturday!), they say the readings are nothing more than they would expect at this time of the year and they are supporting the guidelines of further checks in 3 months. Conveniently, no mention of the request to change the bowed window, but we will "go with the flow" and take the van back in 3 months, as recommended. Looking forward to first trip out now in 2 weeks.

Good luck with Coachman. We are booked in for our second service on Monday. The cassette door is down for replacement with damp. A high reading in the back top corner of the wardrobe last year disappeared at restest - so hopefully that hasn't returned. I'll also be seeing what can be done about the juddering shower door as it is now a bit annoying. It was fine when new. I think the shower has a 3 year warranty.

How did you get on?

Glen.

they say the readings are nothing more than they would expect at this time of the year

You should ask them if that's the case, why aren't you getting readings of 23% elsewhere in the 'van?

• Like 2

I agree with Chrisbee - the readings should be reasonably even all round the van. Any areas where it's higher would have me quite concerned.

The problem being that in three months time it will have had time to dry out a bit if the weather does what it should and gets drier and warmer and then you'll get the same next winter - I'd be considering trading it in

You should ask them if that's the case, why aren't you getting readings of 23% elsewhere in the 'van?

I agree with Chrisbee - the readings should be reasonably even all round the van. Any areas where it's higher would have me quite concerned.

The problem being that in three months time it will have had time to dry out a bit if the weather does what it should and gets drier and warmer and then you'll get the same next winter - I'd be considering trading it in

Don't think we haven't thought of this - and even told them in our email. We are playing their game at the moment, but it does make me think that the next van we buy will be in the summer, so if there is ever damp present they won't be able to use the winter weather as an excuse!

I can see the winter weather raising the overall dampness level a bit, but it should be even all around the van. Not localised to a specific area.

Just a thought, unless the van is nose down while stored, this will encourage more than normal water to concentrate at the front. As I said just a thought. :ph34r:

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Don't think we haven't thought of this - and even told them in our email. We are playing their game at the moment, but it does make me think that the next van we buy will be in the summer, so if there is ever damp present they won't be able to use the winter weather as an excuse!

No, you can't do that :o You won't be able to get a service at a reduced price. :P

Sorry to hear about this, as others have said the readings should be consistent throughout the van. I hope Coachman are right though, it could be that it hasn't completely dried out yet from your previous repair due to this wonderful weather.

Just a thought, unless the van is nose down while stored, this will encourage more than normal water to concentrate at the front. As I said just a thought. :ph34r:

We try to store the van slightly nose up, otherwise we get a torrent of water running off the roof over the nearside window, next to the door - you can actually see the route it's taking on the window pane, so we're trying to avoid this. The van does actually lean a bit to the nearside as well, which also doesn't help, but the good news is that it's north facing, so the back takes the brunt of the rough weather!

No, you can't do that :o You won't be able to get a service at a reduced price. :P

Sorry to hear about this, as others have said the readings should be consistent throughout the van. I hope Coachman are right though, it could be that it hasn't completely dried out yet from your previous repair due to this wonderful weather.

We like the cheaper service deal, but it gives manufacturers a good excuse for delaying a warranty claim! Maybe you're right about not fully drying out - the repair was carried out in early October - time will tell!

Glen.

Keep all your e mails and notes to coachman . Don't give up make a point of telling them that if in a few months this is still a problem you will be going back to them .

You just have to keep nagging .

We always store our van with the Nose down and we have had a lot of damp and leaks in the rear of our van . I agree the weather could make a damp reading . Just condensation etc . I'm sure our house would read damp as well . I'm not sticking up for coachman. I think if you still have a problem and as they have repaired this when it was in warranty you have a good case . They didn't do the job properly . they will have to correct this issue . My sister had problems with her caravan some years ago after a lot of nagging e mailing etc . They did repair hers. Also out of warranty .

Just don't give up.

We were hoping to change to a coachman in the near future but are unsure of the lay out to suit us. Due to the weights of their vans and maybe having to give up our fixed beds .

Good luck

• Like 1

We try to store the van slightly nose up, otherwise we get a torrent of water running off the roof over the nearside window, next to the door - you can actually see the route it's taking on the window pane, so we're trying to avoid this. The van does actually lean a bit to the nearside as well, which also doesn't help, but the good news is that it's north facing, so the back takes the brunt of the rough weather!

We like the cheaper service deal, but it gives manufacturers a good excuse for delaying a warranty claim! Maybe you're right about not fully drying out - the repair was carried out in early October - time will tell!

Glen.

I suppose you're right about them delaying a warranty claim because it's easy for them to blame the weather. Obviously during the summer months if you still have higher readings around the front windows, then there is a problem.

As other's have said, keep on at them. I know it's frustrating, and you have my full sympathy because we've been through an unpleasant experience with the dealer in Carmarthen. Terms and conditions state that I can't name and shame, but I'm sure you know who I am on about.

That dealer has been kicked into touch, and Newport Caravans now look after our van for both warranty and servicing and have been brilliant, I can't praise them enough, especially as we didn't buy the van from them. The contrast between the two is quite frankly alarming, and with dealers like them in Carmarthen it's no wonder the caravan industry gets slated so often.

All the best

Sorry, I can only praise the Dealer in Carmarthen, we have bought vans from them for about 15 years, and the support they have given us has been second to none, they have responded quickly every time we have had a problem, even when we wrote our van off in France.

Before moving West we bought all our vans from dealers in England near where we lived and they were as not as caring as the Carmarthen Dealer. You have to speak as you find

Les

We use Newport Caravans for convenience - our dealer in Carmarthen is not aware of our problem, although we always have a little chat with the guy who sold us the van up at the NEC, so we'll be mentioning the situation then. Newport have been brilliant so we will continue the saga through them and direct with Coachman. They have said they only need 5 mins to retest under the front windows, so we'll get this done at the end of April and take it from there. Thanks to everyone for your support - it's much appreciated. I can promise you all that I will not let this rest if the damp is still present - I have battled the Financial Ombudsman over a rejected travel insurance claim and also the Local Health Board to get nursing fees reimbursed, so this gal's up for a battle, if necessary.

Edited by Glen and Les
  • Like 3

Sorry, I can only praise the Dealer in Carmarthen, we have bought vans from them for about 15 years, and the support they have given us has been second to none, they have responded quickly every time we have had a problem, even when we wrote our van off in France.

Before moving West we bought all our vans from dealers in England near where we lived and they were as not as caring as the Carmarthen Dealer. You have to speak as you find

Well your the first person I have ever heard say that. Nobody around here has a good word to say about them including quite a few members on here.

If ever you mention you are looking for a new van, everybody will say " you're not buying it from *** are you"?

As far as aftersales goes, I'm sorry but they don't know the meaning of the word.

We are talking about the same dealer are we? because there is another one just outside Carmarthen in Cross Hands.

Well your the first person I have ever heard say that. Nobody around here has a good word to say about them including quite a few members on here.

If ever you mention you are looking for a new van, everybody will say " you're not buying it from *** are you"?

As far as aftersales goes, I'm sorry but they don't know the meaning of the word.

We are talking about the same dealer are we? because there is another one just outside Carmarthen in Cross Hands.

We are talking of the same dealer,they also have a branch at Cross Hands, as I said in my post, they have looked after us well over the years and surprised at your comments as I have not heard of anyone speak ill of them until now.

Les

. ..How did you get on?

Glen.

Picked back up form service on Saturday.

They silicone sprayed the runner for the juddering curved shower door runner - but I can't say it's made much difference. I may contact Plas-Tech directly to speak with them about it.

We have had one spot in the far back corner of the wardrobe in the end bathroom that sometimes shows an increased damp reading. 60%(!) first service, completely dry on retest (summer - saw for myself), and now 30% this service in the same spot. Apparently it is an area about an inch or so square. I've been asked to take for retest - but they also said they would not recommend any work for such a small area anyway. I'm told that possibly metal in the structure might be amplifying the reading and reduced air circulation in the back of the wardrobe may also be contributing. I've left the wardrobe door open to allow more circulation. May invest in a damp meter to keep a closer eye on it during the rest of the warranty period. The area feels solid at least - for now.

They seem to have a problem with me having fitted a fire extinguisher in the cupboard below the sink - but I don't think that is any of their business!

Periodically misbehaving water pump did not misbehave during the service - so I'll monitor and investigate that. It's not the pump that is the problem. I think it is either a temperamental relay (in the BCA fuse box that should switch on when you turn the pump on from the master console), or a loose connection. Will deploy multimeter.

A broken drawer runner was replaced under warranty without any issue.

All else seemingly ok thankfully.

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

We have had one spot in the far back corner of the wardrobe in the end bathroom that sometimes shows an increased damp reading. 60%(!) first service, completely dry on retest (summer - saw for myself), and now 30% this service in the same spot. Apparently it is an area about an inch or so square. I've been asked to take for retest - but they also said they would not recommend any work for such a small area anyway. I'm told that possibly metal in the structure might be amplifying the reading and reduced air circulation in the back of the wardrobe may also be contributing. I've left the wardrobe door open to allow more circulation. May invest in a damp meter to keep a closer eye on it during the rest of the warranty period. The area feels solid at least - for now.

When we brought our van back to the house after the service and put the heating on, I was mortified to find (the next day) the rear wall in the wardrobe, amongst the shelves, lowest in particular, to be dripping wet, along with the rear wall in the under sink cupboard - and I mean dripping wet! I couldn't believe that this van had just passed a damp test in this area, but I'm now satisfied that it was "merely" condensation which settled on the cold surfaces when the heating went on. I wiped it away, left the doors open, and after 3/4 days of gentle heating and airing all felt good again. I often wonder about the space behind the wardrobe drawers though - have you ever taken them out to check it? I try to leave the drawers slightly ajar to allow air to get in that far corner.

The rest of your service seems to have gone ok, apart from your fire extinguisher and intermittent water pump, which will no doubt fail again on your next outing! Sod's Law! Wasn't until the van had gone in for service that we suddenly realised we'd left our pump at home so thought they wouldn't be able to check the water system, but seems they must either have a spare, or else used someone else's, because they definitely checked it - there were droplets of water in the sinks and shower tray.

Glen

We are talking of the same dealer,they also have a branch at Cross Hands, as I said in my post, they have looked after us well over the years and surprised at your comments as I have not heard of anyone speak ill of them until now.

You are one of the very few lucky ones then Les. When I complained about them to Elddis, their comment was "not them again"

They have also featured on the consumer affairs programme here in Wales called X-ray, which is a similar type of programme as Watchdog, which didn't paint a very good picture of them.

Unfortunately, this programme aired after we bought our van, and as such we have suffered a lot of stress and frustration because of them. The worse thing though is the blatant lies they tell you, but when you catch them out, the looks on their faces is a picture.

As I said, you have been very lucky.

Glen and Les, sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update - took the van back today for a damp re-check under the front windows and all ok. Showing between 8/10%, which is normal. Now feel much happier and can Carry on Caravanning!

• Like 2

Update - took the van back today for a damp re-check under the front windows and all ok. Showing between 8/10%, which is normal. Now feel much happier and can Carry on Caravanning!

Good news :) I'm pleased for you both.

• Like 1

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.