Walkers: How Do You Dry Your Coats In Winter?

pjapk

We always take the dog away with us and generally I prefer to put up the awning as it gives us somewhere to dump wet/dirty clothes etc. as well as a place out of any rain to dry down the dog after a walk. However, I *hate* the prospect of tearing down/putting away an awning whilst it's raining - I can live with putting it up in the rain as a) it's miserable & B) I don't like the idea of a wet awning in its bag.

However, in the colder months there's obviously no heat in the awning to even begin to dry them off (other than drip-dry) so I was wondering if there's any magic solution that folks use to do it?

I was wondering if a gas heater (driven from the external gas point) might be an option but saw lots of mutterings about H&S hereabouts.

So, what's your solution?

We hang our in the awning . .... to drip dry . ... we have sucker hooks attached to the caravan . .... and then overnight them in the van . .... nice and dry for the next morning . ....

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

We hang ours in the shower - warm and dry in the morning.

• Like 6

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

We have a small 60w tube heater in the awning as its where the dog sleeps in his cage coats are hung in there and always seem to be dry in the morning although I only use paramo these days which seems exceptional at drying out quickly.

Another for the shower. If really damp, you can play with the blown air vents so that the shower gets very toasty.

Definitely not messing around with damp awnings

• Like 2

A hanging rail in the shower is very useful.

• Like 1

Ern

Another one with a fitted hanging rail in the shower, bathroom heating soon has stuff dry

I assumed all caravans had a hanging rail in the shower, it seems so obvious.

Those with hanging rails in the shower, are they a spring-loaded self suspending type or fixed with screws? I think it's a good idea and want one but not very handy at DIY.

If at first you don't succeed. ... redefine success.

Those with hanging rails in the shower, are they a spring-loaded self suspending type or fixed with screws? I think it's a good idea and want one but not very handy at DIY.

They just sit in U-shaped cups - so easily lifted out - whether the cups are glued or screwed to the shower wall, I don't know.

Thanks all, some ideas there - will probably look into trying to fit some kind of rail into the shower as that seems the cheapest starting point. I have an ikea suction hook for the flannel but doubt it'd hold a wet coat. I suppose I could consider a small dot of silicone sealer/adhesive in the centre as well just to give it a little more bit & have it semi-permanently fitted. ..

Ordinary rubber suckers aren't up to hanging wet coats, but we use the lever type and they stay stuck . ..

post-42316-0-24164100-1453239829_thumb.jpg

We also use a small fan heater in the awning if needed.

John

• Like 1

We hang ours in the shower - warm and dry in the morning.

+2

• Like 1

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

With the awning up we have a very lightweight radiator that we plug into the outside power point, very low wattage but dries coats, towels etc very efficiently, still fits in bedroom if we don't have the awning up, great for drying dog coats too, about £20 on EBay :)

• Like 1

Drip dry in shower hanging from suction hooks similar to Johnaldo. After drip drying in shower the clothing is transferred to coat hooks near caravan door.

The suction cups site appear to have no stock for many products-apologies. :mellow:

Edited by DeeTee

I have two jackets and always take both with me winter and summer that way I know I will always have a dry one,think drying in shower area is best though because of drips even if bathroom looks a bit messy.

We take a clothes dryer with us,,,it's small,lightweight and low on power,,called a Crusader.

Stands in the awning,,hang the bits on it and cover with it's zip up bag,,turn it on and leave it.

It also doubles up as a heater for the awning by leaving off the zip up bag.

We have an external 240v socket so no need to leave windows or doors open to run it.

. .. think drying in shower area is best though because of drips even if bathroom looks a bit messy.

Don't forget though that a great many of us don't have dedicated shower rooms - for instance, ours is a combined shower/toilet, so hanging anything in there is impossible. (But I do appreciate that's probably not a problem for the OP in a Cadiz).

John

Don't forget though that a great many of us don't have dedicated shower rooms - for instance, ours is a combined shower/toilet, so hanging anything in there is impossible. (But I do appreciate that's probably not a problem for the OP in a Cadiz).

John

Same as ours John, although we don't use it there's no way anything could be hung in there.

We take a clothes dryer with us,,,it's small,lightweight and low on power,,called a Crusader.

Hmm, they look quite an interesting gadget. ..

We have a dehumidifier with a clothes drying setting. We set it up in the toilet or shower (they're split) and it does a great job of drying clothes without adding water vapour to the van.

We also use it as the sole source of heating when we're out in the day as it only consumes 600Watts and dries the van out at the same time as heating it. It can easily take out 2 litres of water a day. It is surprising how much soft furnishing can hold. 2 adults can easily exhale a pint each overnight! (water)

Its a really good machine to have particularly if you are a winter caravanner.

Ours is a Meaco 8L DD8L and even at £185 I think its well worthwhile for the condensation damage saved.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

I usually wipe the coats down with an old towel,

the coats hang on their normal hooks and the

towel goes outside to dry or in the shower.

Drip dry in shower hanging from suction hooks similar to Johnaldo. After drip drying in shower the clothing is transferred to coat hooks near caravan door.

The suction cups site appear to have no stock for many products-apologies. :mellow:

I ordered suction cups from Amazon and e-bay based on customer reviews.

These have proved to be very good.