Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning sea fishing
  • Towcar:Kia sorento
  • Caravan:Bailey unicorn

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:18 pm

Hi all this is my first post so here goes,we have a Cadiz 3 bought Nov 2014 just had its first service and now in Spain ,opened top cupboard over o/s bed this morning to find wet patch on my jeans,the side wall was wet ,the other day cupboard above the sink where we keep the glasses in bubble wrap that was wet as well but I thought a glass may have been put away wet.Has anyone else had this and any thoughts . Many thanks

#2 Doosan

Doosan

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Towcar:Toyota Rav4
  • Caravan:Bailey Pageant S 6 Champagne

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:36 pm

High briff, welcome to the forum.

Could your problem be due to condensation? If you have had a cold spell it might be just that.

doosan

#3 butcherboy

butcherboy

Over 100 posts

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:fly fishing, classic cars, living in the van
  • Towcar:2008 kia sorento 2.5 crdi Auto
  • Caravan:bailey unicorn cartagena series 3

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:53 pm

try and ease the polystyrene away from along the top, it isnt glued on check the roof joints underneath.

#4 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  • Towcar:Passat Alltrack 177PS DSG
  • Caravan:Unicorn 3 Cadiz

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:32 pm

There have been very few complaints of U3 leaks on the forum,will be interesting to see where this leads.

Was it ( the second wet patch ) in the region of the roof join just in front of the toilet door ?

Ian

• xtrailman likes this

#5 briff

briff

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:48 pm

Thanks for response,yes it's just Infront of toilet door by roof joint .our first morning here we did have condensation on front windows of van ,had roof vent open as well ok since then .

#6 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:57 pm

Thanks for response,yes it's just Infront of toilet door by roof joint .our first morning here we did have condensation on front windows of van ,had roof vent open as well ok since then .

Don't take this the wrong way but had it been raining outside considering you are in Spain ?

If the answer is "yes" then I would sadly presume that the silly roof join is to blame.

I think the interior cover clicks off ( ours wasn't fitted awfully well and the dealer clipped it back ),perhaps if you tried to remove it you may see where it is coming from.

If it is from the join,or anywhere else for that matter and not condensation then I would think it is a back to the dealer job.

We have never been troubled by condensation in our Cadiz though.

Ian

#7 briff

briff

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:32 pm

Thanks lan,we've had no rain yet but will remove cover and check many thanks .

#8 xtrailman

xtrailman

Prestige member with over 10000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,909 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!
  • Towcar:Mazda
  • Caravan:Swift

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:46 am

If the roof joint is alli it could be just condensation?

Especially seeing its not been raining.

#9 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Vanning, Archery, Woodwork.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2014 Kx3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 3

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:01 am

Surely if it ain't rained it ain't leaking from the outside.  Unless you have lots of outside condensation on the body parts.  However warm moist air inside and cold nights outside could be allowing a buildup on the inside of the Alloy moldings and roof join strip over a period of time.  Take off the internal covers if you can and have a look first thing in the morning.  If it is that then get back to us someone will have a fix or ring bailey.

If it is a body join.  Get some proper Duck Tape (Not the chap generic rolls) and seal them.  Enjoy your hols and get it fixed on return.

#10 MikeandJune

MikeandJune

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Rugby League, Caravanning, Springer Spaniels

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:30 am

Sounds like a leak from the roof seal - take the cover strips off the roof join in the cupboards and see if there is any water present. Had the same problem in our U3 Cadiz back in September. All re-sealed by our dealer, and touch wood no further problems since

#11 Dobloseven

Dobloseven

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Diy,car maintenance,industrial history
  • Towcar:Renault minibus
  • Caravan:Bailey Pursuit 540/5

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:27 pm

Same problem with our 2014 Pursuit.On holiday in Norfolk in July,noticed wet on bedding on side bunk where dog sleeps one morning after a rainy night.Found it was coming from roof joint.Heavy rain predicted for later in day, so found a local caravan shop and bought some sealant. Borrowed steps from site owner,climbed onto roof,very impressed with strength,less so with application of sealant which seems very sloppy.Anyway, cleaned joint, having loosened clamp bolts slightly,worked sealant into joint,retightened bolts and awaited evenings rain.Result a successful repair.Must say there seems to be too much dependence on silicone sealant to me.Good stuff but once it's breached that's it.To my mind it would be better if they used the mastic strip on a roll for such joints which can flex a bit more and heals itself if damaged.Though I suppose it would cost more and take longer to apply so that's out then.To me it seems there's too much dependence on the skill or otherwise of the person holding the sealant gun.

#12 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:08 pm

Same problem with our 2014 Pursuit.On holiday in Norfolk in July,noticed wet on bedding on side bunk where dog sleeps one morning after a rainy night.Found it was coming from roof joint.Heavy rain predicted for later in day, so found a local caravan shop and bought some sealant. Borrowed steps from site owner,climbed onto roof,very impressed with strength,less so with application of sealant which seems very sloppy.Anyway, cleaned joint, having loosened clamp bolts slightly,worked sealant into joint,retightened bolts and awaited evenings rain.Result a successful repair.Must say there seems to be too much dependence on silicone sealant to me.Good stuff but once it's breached that's it.To my mind it would be better if they used the mastic strip on a roll for such joints which can flex a bit more and heals itself if damaged.Though I suppose it would cost more and take longer to apply so that's out then.To me it seems there's too much dependence on the skill or otherwise of the person holding the sealant gun.

The only problem is the OP said it hadn't been raining.

Ian

#13 Tandem Man

Tandem Man

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:35 pm

Did anything further become of this ??

Ian

#14 Caravantech

Caravantech

Over 500 posts

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:03 am

it will 100% be the roof join that is at fault, we have done a few now on U3's

#15 xtrailman

xtrailman

Prestige member with over 10000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,909 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!
  • Towcar:Mazda
  • Caravan:Swift

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:13 am

it will 100% be the roof join that is at fault, we have done a few now on U3's

So its not just a leaf found in the joint then :ph34r:

I find it diapointing that you have reported resealing "many", having thought Bailey had sorted leaks now with the alutech build, also a report of a floor leak recently.

What exactly are you finding, lack of sealant or is the construction method placing the joint at fault ?

#16 Disco4

Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:24 am

I think mine will probably be added to the list, as there was damp clothing in cupboard above the bed/below the roof seam when I got it out for its service - will find out when I get it back in a week or two.  Not great but can't say I'm too concerned - the roof/walls themselves won't get damp so it's just a case of resealing.  I noticed from the stains on my roof (external) that the water's been pooling in that area, so any weakness in the sealant will let that drip through.  Not sure how you totally overcome it short of having a single piece that runs full length of front/roof/rear of van.

#17 Caravantech

Caravantech

Over 500 posts

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:39 am

So its not just a leaf found in the joint then :ph34r:

I find it diapointing that you have reported resealing "many", having thought Bailey had sorted leaks now with the alutech build, also a report of a floor leak recently.

What exactly are you finding, lack of sealant or is the construction method placing the joint at fault ?

and I totally agree with you, it is disappointing, the issue is Bailey are trying to work out which batch or batches are affected by this issue, annoyingly all we can do as a dealer is wait for the issue to arise and then correct it straight away for the customer, it isn't the way we like to do things at all but we are given little choice by the manufacture.

The reason it is happening is due to the 2 flat shiny surfaces, the sealant isn't bonding due to this causing it to leak, for the repair the roof bar is replaced, and a special chemical is applied to the two surfaces before refitting to help the sealant adhere correctly.

• xtrailman, MillieDog and Disco4 like this

#18 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,016 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:16 pm

Given that flat roofs often leak, while pitched roofs generally do not, the problem would appear to be simple to design out by using modern construction methods incorporating thermal breaks to prevent condensation, and top quality sealants.

But at what cost?

Gordon 

Attached File  flat or pitched roof.jpg   23.71KB   1 downloads

This continuing problem really does need to be resolved as it affects many makes of caravan as the list below from recent posts indicates:-

Water ingress Sterling Elite Amber 2013
Swift Conqueror 630 third service and water ingress
Damp found in six week old Bailey

2011 Coachman Vip damp problems
First service for our 2014 Elddis Mistral and it is leaking
Lunar Clubman SE after its first service has 70 to 98% damp
Awful Avondale. The walls are soaking wet

Eriba condensation problem or a leak

Wet floor in our Bailey

Damp in the first year in our Swift caravan
Leaking roof on our Vanroyce

Our Freedom caravan has wet walls

Elddis Avante 2013 with damp at first service

Found water leaking into our Hobby 440 SF caravan

Shocked to see damp issues with 2011 Swift
Elddis Mistral Gtx 1991 damp issue (with pics)
2009 Coachman Amara with damp in the near side front

2011 Clubman ES and the last 3 annual services have reported damp 

#19 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Vanning, Archery, Woodwork.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2014 Kx3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 3

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:12 pm

I think mine will probably be added to the list, as there was damp clothing in cupboard above the bed/below the roof seam when I got it out for its service - will find out when I get it back in a week or two.  Not great but can't say I'm too concerned - the roof/walls themselves won't get damp so it's just a case of resealing.  I noticed from the stains on my roof (external) that the water's been pooling in that area, so any weakness in the sealant will let that drip through.  Not sure how you totally overcome it short of having a single piece that runs full length of front/roof/rear of van.

Unfortunately the machinery at Bailey will not allow the construction of a roof panel that long.  If they could laminate a piece that long the Alu-Tech system would allow a one piece from draw bar to rear floor.  It would be a massive investment if indeed the machinery were available to do panels that big.  It would certainly be a move forwards.  I did have a van 30 years ago with a single sheet of alloy that did just that, all the way from front to rear in one piece.  But then that was ruined by knocking it full of holes to hold it to the wood framework underneath and it leaked like a sieve.

Hopefully yours will be simple re seal and with the construction no wood to rot in the roof or walls.  Just wish it was something they took more time and design effort to eliminate.

• vulcan7 likes this

#20 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,016 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:56 pm

ruined by knocking it full of holes . . . and it leaked like a sieve.

That's the fundamental problem. Holes let water through ;)

The obvious solution would be a one piece molding, at least for the roof if not the whole body.

Gordon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unicorn 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users