1996 Avondale Grampion Gxl 4 Berth

daveneil

I can see that i have a spare wheel well under my caravan in the middle, can someone tell me how to get to it, I presume its under the carpet which is fitted.

Not doubting you; But are you sure there is a spare wheel in there before you cut the carpet ;If certain nothing for it but to cut the carpet around the hatch

Normally found near to the door way . . Added a pic

post-9281-0-69041000-1447089562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rita

Thanks for the reply, yes, underneath the caravan exactly where your picture is there's a spare wheel well but I've already bought a spare wheel,which I keep in my car so I won't be cutting the carpet to have a look, it can stay there for evermore . I just did not have a clue till I looked under the caravan .

Solved, There's a brass ring in the carpet with a hatch and the carpet is pre cut for the hatch.

Solved, There's a brass ring in the carpet with a hatch and the carpet is pre cut for the hatch.

A bit like this maybe :D

SpareWheelStowage - Avondale.jpg Spare-Wheel_Carrier_Avondale.jpg

This in my opinion was an excellent way of carrying a spare wheel for the caravan as it placed it in exactly the right position for loading, the spare is easily accessible so can be maintained at the correct pressure, also it is always clean and ready for immediate use. The dirty wheel once removed, can also be easily dropped into the same recess for transportation to a place of repair.

Some members found that over time the plastic molding did tend to flex slightly, but the addition of a couple of metal supports like the image below around the edge soon overcame this minor inconvenience.

Corner brace.jpg

Gordon.

A bit like this maybe :D

attachicon.gifSpareWheelStowage - Avondale. jpg attachicon.gifSpare-Wheel_Carrier_Avondale. jpg

This in my opinion was an excellent way of carrying a spare wheel for the caravan as it placed it in exactly the right position for loading, the spare is easily accessible so can be maintained at the correct pressure, also it is always clean and ready for immediate use. The dirty wheel once removed, can also be easily dropped into the same recess for transportation to a place of repair.

Some members found that over time the plastic molding did tend to flex slightly, but the addition of a couple of metal supports like the image below around the edge soon overcame this minor inconvenience.

attachicon.gifCorner brace. jpg

Gordon.

Hi Gordon

I totally agree with your comments on the Avondale spare wheel. Ideal place weightwise, spare easily accessible from INSIDE the 'van and for storing the damaged wheel after swapping. I changed a few wheels on our 2 Avondales and the floor spare storage well made it relatively easy.

SO MUCH better than the Alko underslung one on our present Bailey. The only time I've used it it was hard to jack the 'van hig enough to get the spare out and then I damaged the alloy wheel, with the puncture, trying to fit it into the carrier. I had to find a space for the wheel with the puncture in our, already packed, car and have the alloy wheel refurbished when I got home!! Fortunately the puncture was on a campsite but by the time I had finished I looked like a mud wrestler.

I hope you and the family are well by the way.

Regards

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.