Buccaneer Grey Side Walls

jd6257

Hi

Just been today to look at 2016 Clipper but grey side walls looked dull compared to the Crusader

They were both in the showroom and fully prepared

Just wondering how these panels look after a few months and would a paint protection system make them look any different

A bit disappointed really on a top price tourer

Would appreciate your feed back

Thanks

Had a Swift Conqueror with Grey side panels, made the caravan look smaller. Had to have a stone chip repaired had to have the whole side sprayed as they could not guarantee the colour Cost £1800

• Like 1

Range Rover Swift Conqueror 565

We have just ordered a 2016 Buccaneer Cruiser, one of the reasons was the grey sides which give a distinguished appeal to us, had 2 Swift conquerors with grey sides no problems.

Very happy with mine, I think you will never get a good a shine on the GRP as you will with smooth aluminium.

Mine is standing up well even with the dog scratching on the wall when he wants in, no permanent marks just the dirt marked.

Ian

• Like 1

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

My take on white caravans is that white reflects the heat and keeps the caravan cooler any other colour especially darker colours absorbs the heat and makes the caravan warmer inside. Not sure how my theory would stand up under scrutiny? :D

• 4 weeks later...

The G R P silver grey on our Buccaneer is quite light in colour so should not retain to much heat, the advantage as I see it stronger and not able to dent as aluminium will also easier to repair.

• 3 months later...

Very happy with mine, I think you will never get a good a shine on the GRP as you will with smooth aluminium.

Ian

Hi Ian, a tad concerned with your comment re a good shine on GRP. We have a Cruiser on order. Last 20+ years had motorhomes with grp sides never had an issues with shine always used a good polymer based product. Are you saying I may not get as good finish?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stillroaming

Steve

RR & BC

Welcome to the forum Steve

What I am saying is the GRP itself is not as smooth as an aluminium side so you still get a shine but it will never be as good as the aluminium side.

Mine is always in use so gets dirty anyway.

Enjoy the Cruiser when it arrives.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2022 Buccaneer Cruiser registered in 2023.

I agree totally with Ian. The GRP sides are not quite as flat/smooth as an aluminium panel and the paint on the GRP appears not quite so smooth and shiny as it will on the aluminium sided Crusader. The grey is very light in colour and as others have said will stand up to minor mistreatment from flying stones etc better than the aluminium imho and let's face it they are a big target for flying road debris to hit. Ours had Supagard exterior and interior treatment when new 2 years ago and this does I feel improve the shine (I was not convinced of the worth of these treatments until my son bought a car with it and we bought the caravan - both bought s/h with treatment already on).

They are both lovely caravans, we had a 2009 Crusader prior to our 2014 Bucanneer Schooner and been pleased with both.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Are they painted ? I thought they are coloured fiberglass Gel coat so not to show any sratches .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Dave, I thought the same ie gel coat but dealer says no they are painted.

Hi all. Thank you for the welcome, what I am getting here is I should have same result as I an used to. That's good, but I am used to painted GRP anyway on my previous motorhomes. It is being treated from new with, can't recall which product so should help. Have newish tow car ready and that's been treated with the Autoglym stuff at the dealers well impressed. When it arrives time to play and learn over again ? thank you.

Steve

RR & BC

Dave, I thought the same ie gel coat but dealer says no they are painted.

I think I would prefer the sparking champagne like the Crusaders.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

My take on white caravans is that white reflects the heat and keeps the caravan cooler any other colour especially darker colours absorbs the heat and makes the caravan warmer inside. Not sure how my theory would stand up under scrutiny? :D

Your theory would probably be correct if there was no insulation.

I think I would prefer the sparking champagne like the Crusaders.

Dave

Dave, we're all different, I particularly like the whole colour scheme of the Bucanneers, and my caravan matches my car as both light grey so it's grey all the wd for me!!!

If you are bored with white vans with indifferent graphics, have it wrapped. You can have millions of colour and effect vinyls applied, they are very hard wearing too.

If you are bored with white vans with indifferent graphics, have it wrapped. You can have millions of colour and effect vinyls applied, they are very hard wearing too.

Now there is an idea. For gods sake don't tell SWMBO it's possible. Takes her weeks to choose between 3 near identical shades of beige.

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Dave, we're all different, I particularly like the whole colour scheme of the Bucanneers, and my caravan matches my car as both light grey so it's grey all the wd for me!!!

Meant to say 'grey all the way'

i parked next to a crusader last week and was alot darker in grey than our cruiser. as said not quite the same shine but i found it didnt show the dust so much. also i have a front towing cover to stop most of the dirt from the road. i found this money well spent. nice and thick too. seen a cheaper version this weekend and was like a fly sheet.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

also i have a front towing cover to stop most of the dirt from the road. i found this money well spent. nice and thick too. seen a cheaper version this weekend and was like a fly sheet.

Hi Smino0_1. Just as a point of interest where did you get your front cover from? I ask as I have ordered one from Protec but they got the order details wrong. I pointed this out to them before they manufactured it. Now they are not responding to my communications. All I pointed out was it's the wrong model quoted; and their Ts&Cs state if I accept the order and the details are wrong they no longer accept liability.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Stillroaming

Steve

RR & BC

hhmm yes it was from protech. they did seem very good with me. i wanted it soon as and they sent it in 2 days. ordered monday and they delivered wednesday. i did do mine over the phone as i had a query too. Also i must say very well made and fits like a glove. and had a discount for being in a caravan club. approx £20 if i remember rightly.

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

hhmm yes it was from protech. they did seem very good with me. .

Yes did mine over the phone and the got CC discount about 20 but that was 3+ weeks ago. Did your order say it was for 2016 Buccaneer Cruiser? My original order that I tried to correct was for model that I had never heard of. Can't recall which I don't have the details with me. Maybe time for yet another call.

Steve

RR & BC

Hi Smino0_1. Just as a point of interest where did you get your front cover from? I ask as I have ordered one from Protec but they got the order details wrong. I pointed this out to them before they manufactured it. Now they are not responding to my communications. All I pointed out was it's the wrong model quoted; and their Ts&Cs state if I accept the order and the details are wrong they no longer accept liability.

Cheers

Steve

Although IMHO they make a better towing cover than the other mob, they are very poor at answering emails and you need to phone and speak to someone.

I think the grey is excellent and (unless it's just ours) seem to suffer far less from dreaded black streaks than do white walled vans. Therefore they need less washing. You can however more easily see the underlying wooden fencing at acute angles.

On the subject of towing covers, I stopped using them as any motion caused by wind buffeting will rub very fine road grit/diesel exhaust particulate into the front surface. Our previous van developed a fine haze where such movement happened which was coloured with a black sheen from what I presumed to be diesel soot. It polished out Ok but I did not like it.

GB.

Wooden framing!

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.