Review: Stowford Farm Meadows, Devon

barrychas

I've never stayed there but I did drop a van off for a friend last year and I must admit, I didn't fancy it much :(

The road out and the toilet blocks

Click here to view the UK campsite review

An honest review and why we will not go back there again. Most pitches are very sloping.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

We went there many years ago, booked and paid for two weeks, and spent the entire first week trying to find somewhere different to stay (pre-internet!).

Managed to get away after six days and were happy to forfeit the rest of the site fees despite being hard-up at the time.

Facilities were disgusting, pitches marked out like a football pitch to get as many units into the least possible space, no water pressure so spent half the morning queueing to fill the aquaroll.

Lots of people use the site so must see something there, personally I would sell the van rather than stop there again.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like sites of this size so I wouldn't even consider them. Very difficult site to manage and keep everyone happy. I did stay there many years ago and did ring them a while back to enquire and the telephone manner of the receptionist left a lot to be desired.

Hyundai Santa Fe pulling Swift Challenger 530 SE.

I might be the daddy but she's the boss.

Last time we were there was in 1996 we have stayed there 3 times in all and on each occasion found it perfect. Thanks for the heads up, we had thought of returning, but may give it a wide berth now, do not like noise. .

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

We tried to pay it a visit a few days ago when we staying elsewhere in the area - just to see what it was like. I say "try", because there was obviously some event going on at the site and a surly man stopped us before we had even got to the entrance to say we couldn't go any further. So, didn't get to see it and won't try again!

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Every year in May the Practical Caravan people book the May day weekend for their subscribers and we went to one of these. Booked for a week but left after 4 days.

• 1 month later...

Stayed there this year. We bought our first caravan in June. Stowford was our first 'big adventure'. Like the OP, I encountered the 4 inch kerb which is a clutch killer. Glad to say that the rest of the sites that we have visited did not present the awkward kerb.

• 2 weeks later...

is this the stowford meadows farm in coome martin north devon. that the trip advsor has very good reviews. but this site has nothing but bad reviews. trip adviser 5star ct 1star. please could someone advise me. as wife wants to book for 2weeks end of july 2016. costing £442.

I should think there's only one Stowford.

UKCS has a lot more reviews, though oddly only four for 2015 and only two are from caravan users. That doesn't seem much for a 700 odd pitch site over a full season.

• Like 1

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

• 2 weeks later...

Just look at the size of the place on Google earth. ..camping and caravanning is all about getting away from it all and enjoying the beautiful countryside . ..that is unless you like sitting in a regimented row looking into other peoples vans and tents knowing that they are looking into yours. .and never meeting anyone who wants to converse with you. .and feeling that you are just a cash cow to be milked at every opportunity.

• Like 1

we purchased our last two vans from Stowford Meadows caravans, cracking deal which included a free weeks stay on handover if you wanted. Both hand overs took place quite early in the season during April so the site was reasonably empty, they were the best hand overs we have experienced in all the vans we have purchased. On arrival we found the new van sited, heating on etc and ready to move in, we were taken through all the controls and relevant points by a dedicated member of staff who told us to take our time changing our possessions over and to give him a call once we had finished or if we had any problems or queries.

Once the old van was empty it was quickly removed, any problems or niggles we came across over the 5 days we were there were quickly rectified very good service.

With regard to the site it is a large commercial site geared up to accommodate families with young kids, on the field we were on there were no high kerbs, would we use this site as a matter of choice, the answer would be NO its not the type of site we are looking for, the same could be said for any other large commercial site within a popular holiday area. In our view if you look at the Stowford website or brochure it gives you a good idea of what its about i. e. it does what it says on the tin and is just what a lot of people want, if you want a relaxing time then just look elsewhere

• Like 1

We went there for first trip in new van (three days after buying it and before I fitted the mover) and yes those kerbs are a real pain. Took about 4 goes up and down them to get it in the right location, the hedge on the opposite side of the single lane road really hampered manoeuvrability. Commented about them to the staff and they said the high kerbs were to direct heavy rain down the hill, fair comment I hear you say but we were pitched at the top of the hill!

• 10 months later...

We've just got back from a weekend at Stowford Farm Meadows, our third trip there in three years.

We like the site, I guess we've been lucky - although I agree the kerbs are too much for our mover, and I had to reverse on to the pitch - but no problem as the pitches are a good size and the access roads are good.

No problems with the clientele, and no problems with noise or late night movement around the site.

The bar and restaurant area have been updated since our last visit, and no longer have the "tired" feel someone mentioned. Excellent toilet / shower blocks. Clearly lots of investment being made, site road improvements etc.

We won't let the negative reviews put us off - and for anyone looking for a good family site, we'd recommend it.

How does it feel?... to be without a home. .. like a complete unknown. .. like a rolling stone?

• 9 months later...

Agree with everything that the OP said. It was the second site we used on buying our first caravan. He does not exaggerate with regards to the 4inch kerb. As I was brand new to the world of caravanning, I thought that all sites were going to be like Stowford. I will not be returning.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.