Window Fallout!

pdkjmr

We purchased a brand new Elddis Crusader Shaml 5 weeks ago which we store at a campsite in Devon. We were spending the week last week and during the heavy rainfall on the Monday morning, rain strted coming into the van through the front side window. Within minutes we were sat with buckets catching the rain that was pouring in. We called company who sold us the van who advised they would come down on the Wednesday morning. We had to stay at the van for rest of day and Tuesday and sat up all night making sure we collected rain that came in. We decided on the Wednesday morning to open the front windows to let air in to try and dry out the curtains and upholstery. Luckily we only opened 2 of the 3 windows as the complete window unit fell and was only being held in place by the 1 window lock that we hadn't undone. The engineer arrived and was gobsmacked at what he saw. Had never seen it before and had nothing to mend it with !! Arranged to have van collected the following Tuesday and wrapped sticky cellophane around to keep window in palce and to stop anymore rain getting in. I have emailed Elddis and the salesman to advise we wish to reject the caravan as not fit for purpose but have heard nothing. The engineer wants to try and repair with more bonding. Anyone else had similair problems and have any advice?

5 weeks ? i think i would reject it on the grounds of any damage that has been caused if water was pouring in .

Take plenty of photos of any missing components as possible evidence at a later date and take notes of any conversations and with who .

Dave

• Like 1

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sorry to hear of your problems. Take plenty of photos, hopefully your dealer/ Elddis will sort this out quickly.

• Like 1

The dealer has collected to try and repair but we have advised we want to reject the van as we don't know how much water damage has been done. After only 5 weeks I'm sure we are well within our rights

If you are a member of the Caravan Club you can get free legal advice from their helpline.

You might find similar sources of free advice with your household insurance, or from things like Trade Union membership.

5 weeks ? i think i would reject it on the grounds of any damage that has been caused if water was pouring in .

Take plenty of photos of any missing components as possible evidence at a later date and take notes of any conversations and with who .

Dave

That sounds like a challenge . ..

:)

hawkaye :beardy:

Isn't there a similar thread on the Elddis section about owners windows falling out? Something to do with them needing to be installed in a sterile environment when completing the bonding as part of the SoLiD construction.

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Maybe this thread should be moved to Elddis and I'll leave a link in this Bodywork section.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

The dealer has collected to try and repair but we have advised we want to reject the van as we don't know how much water damage has been done. After only 5 weeks I'm sure we are well within our rights

If you are a member of the Caravan Club you can get free legal advice from their helpline.

You might find similar sources of free advice with your household insurance, or from things like Trade Union membership.

Big YES to both the above.

What a tragic situation. Hope it is resolved to you complete satisfaction.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Isn't there a similar thread on the Elddis section about owners windows falling out? Something to do with them needing to be installed in a sterile environment when completing the bonding as part of the SoLiD construction.

Yes this is what happened to ours and the van was only 3 months old. It was one of our front side windows too. Dealer took complete front windows off, removed the adhesive (?), applied new adhesive and re affixed windows. That was 12 months ago and it has been fine since, fingers crossed.

Jeep Grand Cherokee S Limited

2014 Crusader Storm :D

Yes this is what happened to ours and the van was only 3 months old. It was one of our front side windows too. Dealer took complete front windows off, removed the adhesive (?), applied new adhesive and re affixed windows. That was 12 months ago and it has been fine since, fingers crossed.

Yep we had that too front rail became detached!

I put on a post about my fridge,and got a post from Nicola at elddis within days,you have a major problem

With your windows and nothing'???? Very odd ?? Hope you get it solved soon

toyota rav4 t180

2010 elddis avante 540

• 2 weeks later...

Friend we were with had a new Coachman and the nearside window fell out. There are no screws holding the window bar and the bonding had not worked. Suspect the same problem with your Elddis. They were told it was a one off "never seen this before" but subsequent investigation showed it to be a fault with a known batch. Yours could be the same.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.