7 replies to this topic

#1 colouredcob

colouredcob

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

Have stayed a couple of nights in the van to get a feel of it and have up to the last time always had the mains plug in.

We went away for a night and stayed on a friends drive (after a boozy BBQ I must admit) and tried to use the battery.

Nothing, no lights no nothing.

Am I missing something obviouse. The switch was moved to van battery and nothing showed up on the amp meter, totally dead!

Is it going to be something silly and obvious like fuses?

Advise in case I am missing the obvious.

Thanks

Cob

#2 carabiker

carabiker

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

Have stayed a couple of nights in the van to get a feel of it and have up to the last time always had the mains plug in.

We went away for a night and stayed on a friends drive (after a boozy BBQ I must admit) and tried to use the battery.

Nothing, no lights no nothing.

Am I missing something obviouse. The switch was moved to van battery and nothing showed up on the amp meter, totally dead!

Is it going to be something silly and obvious like fuses?

Advise in case I am missing the obvious.

Thanks

Cob

Hi COB

If the car was connected to the van and the "S" plug then the habitation relays could have stop the interior lights working, try the lights again without the car.
Check the fuses, poss fuse 3 & 4 for the 12 volt these are car type blade fuses

Also try other 12 volt equipment to identify if its only the lighting thats faulty or complete loss of 12 volt to all systems that operate on 12 volt

its posable that the Habitation relays are sticking

Hope this helps

Dave

#3 BlisteringBlue

BlisteringBlue

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Hi COB

If the car was connected to the van and the "S" plug then the habitation relays could have stop the interior lights working, try the lights again without the car.
Check the fuses, poss fuse 3 & 4 for the 12 volt these are car type blade fuses

Also try other 12 volt equipment to identify if its only the lighting thats faulty or complete loss of 12 volt to all systems that operate on 12 volt

its posable that the Habitation relays are sticking

Hope this helps
Dave

I can second that, just had exactly the same fault with my '99 Ranger 500/5, which carabiker kindly helped me diagnose too.

Switch over to 12v and give your zig unit a clout (you can be quite firm) to see if the relay switches over, mine used to do this and then the 12v worked for a while before stopping again.

A visit to Reads Caravans in Blackburn who swapped my relay fixed it permanently, although watching him fit the new relay it is something I could have done myself quite easily.

Edited by BlisteringBlue, 23 August 2006 - 11:52 AM.

#4 JonathanM

JonathanM

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:North of Watford, south of Berwick, west of the Pennines

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

I had a problem on my 05 Ranger 470/4 where the charger had burnt out, so didn't step down the 240v to 12 v or charge the battery. Were you connected to 240v at the time this problem happened?

#5 colouredcob

colouredcob

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

The car was unhitched at the time as its a xantia and I wanted to make sure the car never tried to sink overnight with the van on it.

I have only had the van about 5 weeks so I dont think the 12v ever worked as the meter needle never moved when I put it on 12v van battery.

Will try giving it a wollop as suggested and will check the fuse between the battery and panel as carabiker sugested on PM.

BlisteringBlue where is the relay on the zig panel?

Thanks so far will let you know if anything sorts it.

Cob

#6 Guest_iancjc_*

Guest_iancjc_*

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

before you start wacking things I'd check if there is a fuse on the live feed from the battery - follow the cable from the battery box. On our van this is a spade fuse and if it falls out (it is on the floor in the front bed box and exposed to knocks) the 12v stsem only works when the mains is plugged in.

Not sure what the setup is on Bailey Vans, but worth a try.

#7 colouredcob

colouredcob

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

Well when for a furrage today and what a mess, there are 2 in line fuses that have been added in to accomodate the heater, its a different one from the original that was fitted in the van.

I opened these to find balls of wire in each end to make a good connection, a fuse that had blown and a fuse that had a piece of wire threaded through it to make a connection.

You can guess how fast I disconected the battery.

Will resume investigations tomorow

Cob

#8 BlisteringBlue

BlisteringBlue

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

BlisteringBlue where is the relay on the zig panel?

You have to unscrew the zig from the wooden frame and then remove the screws to the zig casing, once the case is removed the relays were stuck to the back plate with double sided tape !! Sort of top right position. All the wires then fed into the relays there

One other thing you could try which Mr Reads man also showed me is that with your 12s connected from the car but without the engine running you should be able to remove the fuse to the leisure battery and try and get your 12v running off the car, might help diagnose exactly where the fault lies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users