Voltage Readings

JCloughie

The control panel in my Lunar is made by Sargent. It normally shows battery voltage, at the touch of a button this switches to amps.

About 5 weeks ago when in France on hook up, I noticed that the voltage was at 14. 9. This worried me, I tried it with my cheap multi tested which showed 13. 6

Concerned I called Sargent. They were also concerned. He asked me to check the amps which were only 0. 1. He said he would be very concerned if it had been something like 7.

Should have mentioned there was no load.

He offered to send parts out and thought it may have been a software issue. I said not to bother and I would keep an eye on the situation and take it to the dealer when I get back.

After that the voltage often shows very high but amps can be minus.

I am posting for thoughts but also for Clubman and Delta owners with this system to keep an eye on theirs.

Van goes in on Friday, I will report back.

John

• Like 1

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Of course what needs checked as well, is the accuracy of the meter you were reading, the number of inaccurate meters we come across is beyond belief.

It's fine buying a cheap meter or seing a fixed device, but if you don't know the accuracy you will not be getting the results that help you.

For voltage readings we usually use meters with a 1% accuracy but they cost that bit more.

You can see it in the two readings you have by 2 seperate meters, one of them will be closer to correct, trouble is you have no way of knowing which one. A situation which could ensure you or someone else is paying out money unnecceserely.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Of course what needs checked as well, is the accuracy of the meter you were reading, the number of inaccurate meters we come across is beyond belief.

It's fine buying a cheap meter or seing a fixed device, but if you don't know the accuracy you will not be getting the results that help you.

For voltage readings we usually use meters with a 1% accuracy but they cost that bit more.

You can see it in the two readings you have by 2 seperate meters, one of them will be closer to correct, trouble is you have no way of knowing which one. A situation which could ensure you or someone else is paying out money unnecceserely.

Understand that, which is why I highlighted that my multi metre was just a cheasp one. I was taking comfort in the fact that though the voltage was very high it wasn't actually charging. The battery was cool and did not smell. Also the technician suspected the PSU was calculating the voltage incorrectly.

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I suspect as Sargent says it is a software issue, the only way it can show minus amps is if the battery is back feeding to the Sargent unit. Your meter if digital is probably accurate to 0. 5v, at 13. 6 volts I suggest your Sargent is not charging, however as it is smart it may not need to at that time. Pity they don't have a reset button :)

I suspect as Sargent says it is a software issue, the only way it can show minus amps is if the battery is back feeding to the Sargent unit. Your meter if digital is probably accurate to 0. 5v, at 13. 6 volts I suggest your Sargent is not charging, however as it is smart it may not need to at that time. Pity they don't have a reset button :)

The unit does charge when or after a load has been applied. It is only when I have no loads on that it shows around zero amps. I think that is as expected.

John

The unit does charge when or after a load has been applied. It is only when I have no loads on that it shows around zero amps. I think that is as expected.

John

Then you probably have a software problem or a dry joint in the diagnostic circuit. so long as doesn't cost not a problem :)

The control panel in my Lunar is made by Sargent. It normally shows battery voltage, at the touch of a button this switches to amps.

About 5 weeks ago when in France on hook up, I noticed that the voltage was at 14. 9. This worried me, I tried it with my cheap multi tested which showed 13. 6

Concerned I called Sargent. They were also concerned. He asked me to check the amps which were only 0. 1. He said he would be very concerned if it had been something like 7.

Should have mentioned there was no load.

He offered to send parts out and thought it may have been a software issue. I said not to bother and I would keep an eye on the situation and take it to the dealer when I get back.

After that the voltage often shows very high but amps can be minus.

I am posting for thoughts but also for Clubman and Delta owners with this system to keep an eye on theirs.

Van goes in on Friday, I will report back.

John

Cheers for the info, will check this out later.

2017 Swift Elegance 580  towed by 2015 Volvo XC70

It is quite acceptable for the Sargent display to show a negative current. When the battery has a load applied such as lights switched on, the load draws current from the battery and this is shown as a positive current. When there is no load but the charger is topping up the battery, the current flows into the battery and this is shown as a negative current. Obviously in practice, there can be a load drawing current whilst the battery is being charged, so the load can draw current from the charger. If there is more current being drawn by the load than there is current being supplied by the charger, the display will show a positive current.

I have seen -8A on my display when I have hooked up to the mains after using the motor mover to manouvre the caravan into my back garden. This is normal.

2017 Swift Elegance 580  towed by 2015 Volvo XC70

Update.

They could not find anything wrong, but technician agrees it may be software, so in my book there is something wrong.

They were also looking at why it lost 1 volt in 2 weeks storage. They say that the van is drawing zero. They are keeping the van for the week to try it with a new battery but the battery that is in there is new and that's already the second one to be fitted.

I don't know how they tested the draw. Surly they would have to disconnect in order to fit an ammeter in series. In which case I should have got a phone call from Phantom.

John

"I don't know how they tested the draw. Surly they would have to disconnect in order to fit an ammeter in series. In which case I should have got a phone call from Phantom"

A DC clip on ammeter,they wouldn't need to disconnect.

knarf

• Like 1

"I don't know how they tested the draw. Surly they would have to disconnect in order to fit an ammeter in series. In which case I should have got a phone call from Phantom"

A DC clip on ammeter,they wouldn't need to disconnect.

knarf

Forgot those things, are that accurate enough to establish true zero?

John

don't know about absolute zero but I have seen one advertised that's supposed to read down to 1 milliamp.

knarf

Thanks John

Just caught up with this, I've certainly see voltage readings in the 14's. Not on EHU at the moment but will check soon.

Liked your comment re the light switch over the bed and am going to bypass the original switch and fit a new one in the centre.

Cheers

Checked my new van the other day, voltmeter reading 14. 2 V.

No source for problem to me

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Thanks John

Just caught up with this, I've certainly see voltage readings in the 14's. Not on EHU at the moment but will check soon.

Liked your comment re the light switch over the bed and am going to bypass the original switch and fit a new one in the centre.

Cheers

Great, please let me know how you get to the ducting.

John

Checked my new van the other day, voltmeter reading 14. 2 V.

No source for problem to me

My van is now at the dealers on test for a week regarding voltage drop on standby.

Don't think 14. 2 to is exceptional. But 14. 9, if it is a true reading, is. Sargent agree with this. Don't want the battery to cook, particularly if we are in bed.

We did use the van on high voltage for about 4 weeks, no problem, but I am pretty sure the real voltage is not what is displayed.

John

14. 8v should be a maximum, even with smart monitoring - going above that probably indicates a faulty voltage regulation circuit.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Electrical monitoring test gear has to be tested annually and recalibrated. I know the meter fitted in our vans are not, so they can only be used as an indication to their accuracy. One way round this would be to ask a friendly electrician to use his meter to check the readings and compare them to the van meter to give a guide to what the real readings are.

Electrical monitoring test gear has to be tested annually and recalibrated. I know the meter fitted in our vans are not, so they can only be used as an indication to their accuracy. One way round this would be to ask a friendly electrician to use his meter to check the readings and compare them to the van meter to give a guide to what the real readings are.

That's one of the things I trust the dealer is doing now.

John

Now on EHU, 14. 4v on the control panel, 14. 2v on my digital test meter - don't think I'm going to worry.

Re drilling for the extra light switch, I've already drilled into the ducting holding the speakers to fit speaker isolating switches, can now have the speakers on in the lounge and off over the bed, or vice versa.

For the light switch in the centre, I'll remove the speakers and pull the speaker cables to one side then drill the 20mm hole for the new switch; pull out the existing switch and use the good old straightened wire coat hanger to pull the new cable between the two holes. Easy?

Cheers

Now on EHU, 14. 4v on the control panel, 14. 2v on my digital test meter - don't think I'm going to worry.

Re drilling for the extra light switch, I've already drilled into the ducting holding the speakers to fit speaker isolating switches, can now have the speakers on in the lounge and off over the bed, or vice versa.

For the light switch in the centre, I'll remove the speakers and pull the speaker cables to one side then drill the 20mm hole for the new switch; pull out the existing switch and use the good old straightened wire coat hanger to pull the new cable between the two holes. Easy?

Cheers

That makes sense.

I was sort of hoping there was a method of getting into the triangular ducting.

What I would like to do is put a dimmer on the grab handle lights, I think they would look much better if they were subdued.

I have bought the dimmer, less then £4 of Ebay including remote. tested it and it works, but it needs to be fitted into the neutral, and cannot find a common neutral for those lights.

John

Cheers

I'm Sure you can turn the speakers by the bed off by fading them out on the radio
  • Like 1