How Long Should It Take For A Warranty Claim?

SuperRed

Hi all

We took delivery of our new 560/4 on the 3rd April. We took the van straight out for a few nights to give it a good test. We noticed a few minor things, and on the 10th April we took the van back to the dealers for them to have a quick look at the issues. The issues were agreed and dealer said they would put in a warranty claim. Spoke to the dealer on the 2nd June and they have still not had the go ahead from Coachman. Is this timeframe normal?

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, seven Grandsons and counting.

Retirement is great but you never get a day off :D.

I would ask for a full refund as that time scale is unacceptable. I would also find another dealer as obviously they are not trying hard enough. If you bought on finance, get onto the finance company and tell them you are unhappy about paying for something you cannot use.

I agree with DeltaTlowner, a lot of dealers will blame the manufacturer for the delay in approving warranty claims.

My supplying dealer used to blame Elddis all the time, that dealer has now been kicked into touch.

The dealer I use now, put in a warranty claim to Elddis and got a reply the same day. So unfortunately you will have to put pressure on your dealer, or if you have your van on finance, give them a call. It's surprising how quick some dealers start to move once they get involved.

Good luck

Warranty claims should take no more than one or two weeks to be approved.

What can take a lot longer is for the parts to come through to the Dealer after the claim has been approved.

Can you find a Customer Services number for Coachman and ring them yourself and find out the status of the claim?

Edited by hp100425ev

Completely agree with the above. My selling dealer used to complain that Elddis were not responding etc. it always took me 6 to 8 weeks of constant chasing to get anything done. To cut a long story short I moved to a local approved workshop (who don't sell caravans) and the difference is amazing. They contact Elddis the same day and usually get a response/approval within 1-2 days.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

The dealer sold you faulty goods. It is his responsibility to put them right, nobody else's, and that includes the manufacture. The dealer should repair immediately free of charge. If they then decide to claim the cost back from the manufacturer it's their prerogative. Your contract is purely with the dealer.

• Like 1

Hi all

We took delivery of our new 560/4 on the 3rd April. We took the van straight out for a few nights to give it a good test. We noticed a few minor things, and on the 10th April we took the van back to the dealers for them to have a quick look at the issues. The issues were agreed and dealer said they would put in a warranty claim. Spoke to the dealer on the 2nd June and they have still not had the go ahead from Coachman. Is this timeframe normal?

Any problems are with the dealer to fix . It is his problem as your contract is with him.

Dave

• Like 1

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Would just like to say that Coachman are notoriously slow on parts delivery - we waited almost 3 months for a spare part for our grill - really annoying as the part was from Thetford, not Coachman. It was fitted by our supplying dealer under warranty. Not sure why they take so long. Currently waiting for window seals for local service dealer to change under warranty - only 3 weeks gone so far - and counting. ...........

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I agree with most of what has been said already however the theory and reality may not be the same. It could be influenced by what the claims are for because the dealer may be making the claims on several different companies. This is because some caravan manufacturers only support claims on non-proprietary materials. For example, the dealer may be trying to get one claim accepted by Truma and another accepted by Thetford and the rest from Elddis. I'm not making excuses for your dealer but unless you ask your dealer for a detailed explanation, you won't know. I would ask to see a senior manager from your dealer (perhaps the principal or a director). Sit down quietly with him and ask for a full explanation of the facts - claim dates, any responses, and claim numbers. Refuse to leave without the facts. After this time if they can't do this, get seriously tough.

Ern

I agree with most of what has been said already however the theory and reality may not be the same. It could be influenced by what the claims are for because the dealer may be making the claims on several different companies. This is because some caravan manufacturers only support claims on non-proprietary materials. For example, the dealer may be trying to get one claim accepted by Truma and another accepted by Thetford and the rest from Elddis. I'm not making excuses for your dealer but unless you ask your dealer for a detailed explanation, you won't know. I would ask to see a senior manager from your dealer (perhaps the principal or a director). Sit down quietly with him and ask for a full explanation of the facts - claim dates, any responses, and claim numbers. Refuse to leave without the facts. After this time if they can't do this, get seriously tough.

The point is YOU (i. e. the paying customer) are not claiming from these companies, you are claiming from the dealer. If it's faulty then he should put it right straight away. As long as people accept these excuses from dealers nothing will change and these unacceptable delays will be with us forever.

• Like 1

To be fair to the dealer, when I took the van back for them to inspect they did a couple of small jobs there and then. The dealer had to wait for the warranty to be approved, they are waiting for the parts, so they tell me. My query with you guys is regarding the wait from Coachman. To me it is a ridiculous time to wait for a few spare parts from them.

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, seven Grandsons and counting.

To be fair to the dealer, when I took the van back for them to inspect they did a couple of small jobs there and then. The dealer had to wait for the warranty to be approved, they are waiting for the parts, so they tell me. My query with you guys is regarding the wait from Coachman. To me it is a ridiculous time to wait for a few spare parts from them.

No he didn't. He should have repaired it immediately or if he required parts he should have ordered them there and then and be chasing them up daily!

Edited by chrisbee
  • Like 1

I know its not the point but the repairs are quite minor, so I am not too worried about the time, but, if I had a major repair I would be pretty disappointed if it made the van unusable. I went into the dealers and they tell me they have to wait for the warranty to be approved by Coachman, dealer sent photos of the problems to Coachman. This I am told can take up to two weeks. Then they have to order the parts, delivery can take up to six weeks, so I am told. My issue now is that I at the maximum time quoted, and as of last Tuesday the dealer has not taken deliver of the parts, not much they can do about that.

I will be calling Coachman on Monday now I have found their number.

Whichever way you look at it you will have waited 2 weeks longer than necessary for the repair to be completed because the dealer would not order the parts for it until the manufacturer agreed. Personally, I wouldn't accept the "waiting for warranty" excuse and would insist on immediate action from the dealer. The product, on which the dealer has made a substantial profit, is faulty. He should repair it immediately at his own cost then claim the cost back from the manufacturer. The dealer should be on Coachman's case daily asking where the parts are, not you. We all have to get tough with the dealers to get this antiquated practice of passing the buck changed.

Edited by chrisbee
  • Like 2

Whichever way you look at it you will have waited 2 weeks longer than necessary for the repair to be completed because the dealer would not order the parts for it until the manufacturer agreed. Personally, I wouldn't accept the "waiting for warranty" excuse and would insist on immediate action from the dealer. The product, on which the dealer has made a substantial profit, is faulty. He should repair it immediately at his own cost then claim the cost back from the manufacturer. The dealer should be on Coachman's case daily asking where the parts are, not you. We all have to get tough with the dealers to get this antiquated practice of passing the buck changed.

:goodpost: :goodpost: In my opinion the playing of the Warranty card by the dealer is a delaying tactic when the caravan is nearly new. The dealer should bust a gut to remedy the faults to the buyers satisfaction. .

Edited by DeeTee
  • Like 1

Just another twist on the waiting for parts bit. I bought my van from a dealer who was going to fit a new centre front window as the two panels were touching when towing. I was told I would have to wait weeks for a replacement. To cut a long story short I was unhappy with a few things not being fixed properly so I went to another service centre. Hey presto a new window fitted within a week all other niggles fixed and van back in ten days. So don't take what the dealers say without a murmur if they don't want our business we should go elsewhere . It's the only way we can hope to change attitudes in my humble opinion .

Would just like to say that Coachman are notoriously slow on parts delivery - we waited almost 3 months for a spare part for our grill - really annoying as the part was from Thetford, not Coachman. It was fitted by our supplying dealer under warranty. Not sure why they take so long. Currently waiting for window seals for local service dealer to change under warranty - only 3 weeks gone so far - and counting. ...........

Basically it is not an issue if Coachman take 1 week or 1 year, it is still the responsibility of the dealer to get you back on the road within a reasonable time. Using the excuse waiting for parts from Coachamn is not an excuse unless it is an item specific to Coachman.

Most "spares" are generic and can be bought elsewhere. Maybe if dealers did their job and put pressure on manufacturers, just maybe we would see some improvements however once dealers have your dosh, many could not care about after sales service.

I spoke to coachman today and they tell me all the parts are now in stock, the hold up was the Heiki roof blinds. They have to come from a supplier not in the UK. I asked why they don't carry any stock for repairs in the UK. Industry practice they said.

Can' say I am too impressed with that answer, but what can you do.

I have had SERIOUS issues trying to get parts out of Heiki in the past. It seems to me that they wait until they have a substantial amount of goods to ship and then send them all together to save shipping costs.

You can rant and rave as much as you like at the dealer but if they cannot get their hands on the parts to effect a repair (warranty or otherwise) what do you expect them to do???

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

The thing is today that nobody wants to have parts sitting on the shelf,potentailly unused.

You may not turn up for the job doing,or gone elsewhere so they order at the last minute.

I know when I have taken my car for a job doing ( warranty or otherwise ) they don't order any parts required until the day before for delivery on the day of the job,apart of course form fast moving bits like service items.

VW have a good system,if ordered prior to 3pm they arrive next morning,if of course they are in stock which nine times out of ten they are.

Bailey Parts are very efficient for delivery.

Ian

Thanks all, hopefully will get the repairs done soon :rolleyes:

I spoke to coachman today and they tell me all the parts are now in stock, the hold up was the Heiki roof blinds. They have to come from a supplier not in the UK. I asked why they don't carry any stock for repairs in the UK. Industry practice they said.

Can' say I am too impressed with that answer, but what can you do.

I would have told the dealer to take the necessary parts from a caravan that they have in stock, then it's up to them how long it takes to obtain new parts. I'll bet they would soon get their finger out!

• 3 weeks later...

Popped into dealers today to find out if parts expected soon. Was told they can take 8/10 weeks - ridiculous, but we're not bothered, will just go on using the van as usual and await contact.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We have been waiting since December 2014 for the first of many issues to be sorted out. Coachman are taking an intolerably long time about it and today have written to their managing director. Also when we bought the van in December 2014 we ordered and paid for two extra shelves, these cost over £100 and we still haven't got them!

Disappointed in the deterioration in quality and workmanship since we bought our last coachman.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.