Cracking Front

Kiters72

We have report to Coachman a Crack in the front above the window on the right side, does this mean a new complete front or can it be repaired?

post-33857-0-65195600-1431702883_thumb.jpg

Coachman Platinum Pastiche 560/4

Santa Fe Premium 2. 2 CRDi manual 7 seat

Kampa Air Ace 400

Ask Coachman and they should tell you.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

When our 2002 Amara was 5 years old the front developed a crack from a screw in the awning rail to the bottom of the window and Coachman replaced FOC and yes it was a complete front including the gas locker door. and new awning rails to the centre of the van.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

I have been in touch with our nearest dealer & they are going to deal with the warranty claim hopefully get it sorted,

I removed the rubber cover on the joining strip between the roof & the front panel & right above the crack is a screw? this is probably what caused the crack? we have now got to wait to hear what they are going to with it,

Kampa Air Ace 400

I have this problem with a 2013 Amara, March this year. Put a warranty claim in through Glossop, the retailer, who have been instructed by Coachman to repair under warranty. They will put a new front on complete with new awning rails to thge centre of the van. I've covered the crack and where it joins the upper window frame with a flexible exterior mastic. Water has come down into the gas box and will have travelled over the wood frame directly below which the window is secured to. You will expect these to be dried out or replaced. On a general point, they required evidence of services being carried out within a prescibe annula period and details of the damp check before proceeding. Something to remember for the future.

Thanks for your reply's I have been in touch with the dealers & coachman & we are waiting for a reply,hopefully it will be soon sorted out? we have sent the service record & more photos to both party's

Aedwar, was your van repaired @ Glossops or Coachman & did you have to take it to them for repairs

Kampa Air Ace 400

The repair is to be carried out at Glossop the retailer and yes I have to take it to them, 100 miles! They have ordered a replacement front kit and awaiting delivery fro Coachman. As the model is discontinued they may have to have a new front made and order replacement decals etc, so perhaps some delay. Hence the "sticky tape repair" so we can carry on caravanning. The repair time is set at 10/12 working days. Im assured that Glossop have the skills to carry out this work ie somebody on this site has referred to this.

• 3 weeks later...

The parts are in for the repair, the date is booked with glossop to carry out the work (14 days) today for Mid July. I have asked Coachmen how this fault came about and a for a reassurance that it will not happen again, awaiting a reply. In the meantime having sealed the crack we've continued to use the van.

We have had a reply from Coachman, they are sorting ours out with Marquis Motor Homes our local Coachman agents,

so once we get the OK, then the waiting starts for the part to arrive, but Marquis thinks Coachman may do the work @ Hull so we will have to wait & see, I pulled the rubber seal out above the window to find the crack starts right from a screw holding the sealing strip? probably the cause, all taped up now & are away for ten days after the weekend.

Kampa Air Ace 400

• 3 weeks later...

Great news we have heard back from Coachman & Marquis & the new front & other parts to do the job have all been ordered & will take about 8/10 weeks to arrive & then sort out a date to replace, hopefully with out any problems,

Attached photo shows the cause of the crack

,post-33857-0-61850500-1436391272_thumb.jpg

Kampa Air Ace 400

Great news we have heard back from Coachman & Marquis & the new front & other parts to do the job have all been ordered & will take about 8/10 weeks to arrive & then sort out a date to replace, hopefully with out any problems,

Attached photo shows the cause of the crack

,attachicon.gifScrew + Crack p2. jpg

As you say Great News. I hope all goes well and happens sooner rather than later. .

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

Sa bit late in the day, but I had an identical problem on a 2007 VIP 460/2 van in 2010/11. Absolutely no problem in Coachman agreeing an supplying the bits. My problem was Dealer was not up to such a job and botch and generous use of sealant would be an understatement. After producing digital photos Coachman sent a lorry down from Hull and repaired it from scratch. Also whilst there checked all other sealant and reissued gas and water certificates.

Final job was excellent and no hesitation from Coachman about rectifying. Shame Dealer did not make his position clear from outset and accept the work was beyond the workshops ability.

Just make certain you check and re-check the both the quality of the repair and that all the associated bits are put back. In my case with the Dealer the shields covering the road lights inside the front locker were not put back!

Bernard in Tring

Thanks for your reply, I will certainly be checking all the replaced parts & workmanship & the finished job before I except the van back.

Kampa Air Ace 400

I'm taking my Amara up to Glossop on the 13th July to have the front replaced. So I will take on board the comments made about quality of workmanship. I have received a reassurance from Coachman as to the competence of Glossop to carry out this work, and to date they acted professionally in managing the repair. On the other hand my e mails to Coachmen asking for a reason for why this has happened were lost. Then eventuality after chasing came back to me, with no answer to my question until a report on the work had been received? In the meantime we have continued to caravan. Keep you all posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear and I was thinking it was going so well, silly me. Took the van to Glossop on the 13th July and agreed collection on the 27th July. Checked progress on the 22nd July, "work in progress they said and, confirmed completion on the 27th as agreed" Then the fateful call on the 24th July, the replacement parts do not fit, a different model. On top of that, Coachman are on annual shut-down until the 10th August. You could not make it up. So lets see how quick they deal with this? Kiters61 be warned.

Sorry here your having a problem, you would have thought that Coachman would have known what parts fit what model??

Hope that you get it sorted soon, at least the weather will be better by the time they get back?

I will get Marquis to check the parts before I take mine in, it will be in October/November so have plenty of time.

Kiters61

Kampa Air Ace 400

• 4 weeks later...

Following the delay to the repair for the wrong parts having been ordered or sent, Glossop informed me that they had spoken to a member of staff not on holiday at Coachman, who confirmed the correct parts would be shipped the following week, which they did. Glossop informed me of their arrival last week and promised me they would get back onto the job at the earliest opportunity, which they seem to have done, for today they informed me it was ready for collection. So it now remains for us to collect on Wednesday, subject to a thorough examination of the workmanship. I have to say we are looking forward to having the van back, there is a sense of loss when it is not with you daft as it may seem.

The reason given for the crack was, a fault in the panel manufacture.

Please to here your van is ready, hope every thing is OK & you get some good weather but a bit of rain to test it out when towing back,with no problems.

we arrived back yesterday from Norfolk & today we heard from Marquis that they have all the parts for ours, so I have,booked in for 12 Oct, after our next holiday, hopefully it all goes well as we go away again later in October

Kampa Air Ace 400

Fingers crossed, and best of luck with your repair. Hope to be away in September.

Its back where it belongs. Fair play to both Glossop and Coachman they did pull out the stops to rectify the problem of wrong parts. The work carried out by Glossop looks sound. The van is now undergoing a 24 hour rain test! One final point, to keep you on your toes, they forgot to put the covers on the sidelights in the gas locker back on. These they have ordered and will be putting in the post. The lights currently have a margarine carton covering them! So overall, it could have gone better? but I an satisfied with the outcome. So 9/10

Its back where it belongs. Fair play to both Glossop and Coachman they did pull out the stops to rectify the problem of wrong parts. The work carried out by Glossop looks sound. The van is now undergoing a 24 hour rain test! One final point, to keep you on your toes, they forgot to put the covers on the sidelights in the gas locker back on. These they have ordered and will be putting in the post. The lights currently have a margarine carton covering them! So overall, it could have gone better? but I an satisfied with the outcome. So 9/10

Fair play to you for reporting back the positive outcome!

Happy times again. Maybe the margarine tubs will catch on?

Pleased you have the van back. As you saw from my July post had exactly the same issue with internal road light covers. Why oh why does this carelessness exist. They clearly do not know the product they are dealing with and leaves you, me, with feeling of what have they not done that I cannot see!!!

Hope all is we'll on all future outings.

Bernard in Tring

In read your post on this point Tring and resolved to check this, but in the moment and checking if the blinds all worked, the awning rail was not blocked (it was), the sealant was smoothly finished and no bumps to the van I overlooked it. Alls well that ends well, I think?

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.