Sutton Bank, Again.

shipbroker

a contributor demonstrates that it is possible to miss the advance warning signs.

Sorry to contradict but IMO all it demonstrates is a lack of observation. How can anyone fail to see this, and even the second one:-

post-261-0-07580600-1429780275_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-78436000-1429780367_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I go to the yearly dog show at Helmsley at easter and it is part of the advertised schedule for people to use the alternate route. Personally since I am coming from Sunderland I take the 174 then go through stokesley and into Helmsley from the north, meaning I don't have to worry about Sutton Bank.

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2017 Volvo XC90 D5 AWD 

Sorry to contradict but IMO all it demonstrates is a lack of observation. How can anyone fail to see this, and even the second one:-

I think he indicates that he was being observan, of his SatNav rather than of road signs.

Where does that say no caravans?

Im not defending myself, just asking.

Sign here street veiw .

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@54. 239851,-1. 207894,3a,75y,274. 54h,72. 64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shttWvmPDDPWsfastDkK6-A!2e0

20 -25 % hills are common in areas of Nth Wales and parts of Cornwall so it does make the 12 % for setting towing limits a bit redundant ? Why I always like to work on 75 % of a towing limit Max to leave spare .

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It's quite possible to climb hills much steeper than 12% - if you keep going - the problem then arises if you're forced to a stop by traffic as you may not be able to restart.

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Hi

I was talking to the warden on the CC Rosedale site about a new arrival it transpired he went up Sutton Bank and down Chimney Bank no wonder hie brakes over heated. According to the warden this is not a rare occurance.

Sandy

Going down chimney bank is worse than sutton. ......the Tour de Yorkshire won't be doing it this coming month!

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I'm out of this. I Dropped one big time, I hold my hands up I got it wrong.

I don't think anybody would knowingly risk the well being of others, themselves, invalidate their insurances,etc.

We are new at this caravanning lark and that's why I joined CT to learn .

I was lucky, I know that, lesson learned.

• Like 2

I don't think anybody would knowingly risk the well being of others, themselves, invalidate their insurances,etc.

We never stop learning in life so don't worry and carry on and keep posting on this forum and enjoy the banter and everyone's mishaps .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Sign here street veiw .

https://www. google. co. uk/maps/@54. 239851,-1. 207894,3a,75y,274. 54h,72. 64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shttWvmPDDPWsfastDkK6-A!2e0

20 -25 % hills are common in areas of Nth Wales and parts of Cornwall so it does make the 12 % for setting towing limits a bit redundant ? Why I always like to work on 75 % of a towing limit Max to leave spare .

That view appears to be at the top of the Sutton Bank immediately before the descent. At that point anyone towing a caravan would have been able to turn round to avoid the descent in the car park and picnic area to the right of the photograph.

We've probably all learnt lessons by being lucky when it could have gone terribly wrong - as Kobelkid posted, learning is a lifelong process - no-one knows it all and no-one gets it right all the time.

• Like 1

If the prohibition notice is close to the visitors' centre at the top of Sutton Bank then there's another a mile or so back along the A170 warning that caravan are not allowed to proceed.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If the prohibition notice is close to the visitors' centre at the top of Sutton Bank then there's another a mile or so back along the A170 warning that caravan are not allowed to proceed.

The contributor who admitted to missing the warning signs was travelling east to ascend Sutton Bank. The Streetview photograph is the West bound view just before the descent.

Yes

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We'll need to get them made bigger - or ban caravanners from using car-only satnavs.

It is quite a few years since we took our caravan to Yorkshire but, yes, I did avoid going up or down Sutton Bank with the van in tow. We didn't have a satnav then, but the maps and signs were good enough as far as I was concerned.

I can't agree with the idea of banning caravanners from using "car only type satnavs"-it wouldn't necessarily be foolproof against the problem happening, and why should we all be forced to buy expensive satnavs simply because some drivers follow their satnavs like sheep to the slaughter? I did explore the Snooper which offers C. C. members a discount, but some adverse reviews put me off. When towing I pre-plan my route beforehand - such a ban would be the Nanny State at its worst.

• Like 1

It is quite a few years since we took our caravan to Yorkshire but, yes, I did avoid going up or down Sutton Bank with the van in tow. We didn't have a satnav then, but the maps and signs were good enough as far as I was concerned.

I can't agree with the idea of banning caravanners from using "car only type satnavs"-it wouldn't necessarily be foolproof against the problem happening, and why should we all be forced to buy expensive satnavs simply because some drivers follow their satnavs like sheep to the slaughter? I did explore the Snooper which offers C. C. members a discount, but some adverse reviews put me off. When towing I pre-plan my route beforehand - such a ban would be the Nanny State at its worst.

My comment on banning car-only satnavs was tongue-in-cheek - but how else do you stop people blindly following a device that's not appropriate for their outfit - given that they also ignore, or don't see, the big warning signs I guess we'll just have to accept numpties giving caravanners a bad name.

My comment on banning car-only satnavs was tongue-in-cheek - but how else do you stop people blindly following a device that's not appropriate for their outfit - given that they also ignore, or don't see, the big warning signs I guess we'll just have to accept numpties giving caravanners a bad name.

we must meet up somewhere, that would be nice.

we must meet up somewhere, that would be nice.

Those nice people at Highways England put the signs up for a purpose, usually more than one, and ALL drivers should give precedence to road signs with satnav instructions being secondary and over-ridden whenever necessary.

I guess this needs to be added to learner-driver instruction and the driving test.

You might think me unsympathetic - but when I've been a numptie I have to accept that and eat 'umble pie.

Are caravans banned going both up and down Sutton Bank, please?

Yes. There are warning notices about Sutton Bank being unsuitable for HGVs and caravans being forbidden on many nearby and approach roads.

• Like 1

The first warning sign is by Duncombe Park just outside Helmsley and adjoining the Caravan Route which passes Golden Square Caravan site. ....so you have a couple of miles either side of the bank.

geoff

That about sums it up. I don't think it is a case of a device (satnav) not being suitable for their outfit - more a case of some drivers not being suitable to use a satnav. Satnavs, in my opinion, should be treated as an addition aid, and never be trusted to be the sole or even primary guidance tool. Planned route and human brain is a far more reliable method to that of following an electronic device that can lose its way at any moment.

• Like 2

I find that you can't always trust maps these days. Better to walk the route first too, just to be sure.

I find that you can't always trust maps these days. Better to walk the route first too, just to be sure.

OK for you fell runners. ..I can't even climb our stairs and I live in a bungalow!

geoff

• Like 1

All satnav users should remember - It's an aid to navigation, not a substitute for intelligence.

Stephen

• Like 3

Olympus II 620-6 & Mitsubishi Shogun

Follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter