#1 PhilB

PhilB

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:21 PM

Hi,
As a result of this very hot weather I'm finding that my fridge is struggling to cool down. I've seen on this site that some of you have fitted 12 volt computer fans to the vents . Yesterday I bought two fans, a switch, in line fuse a few metres of wire and various connectors but wonder how those of you who have done this have

a) fixed the fan to the vent - I'm thinking of using tywraps
B) where have you place the switch - assuming you've fitted one

and

c) where have you taken the 12 volts from.

Cheers
Phil

#2 carabiker

carabiker

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:12 PM

Hi

i ve never installed a fan to the fridge but have a look at this site:-

"Cooling Fan installation http://www.caravanni...ing/fagffan.htm

Also try the swift owners clud site loads of info http://www.swift-owners-club.co.uk/

Regards
Dave

#3 JohnnyScot

JohnnyScot

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

I just switched from electric to Gas and it was much cooler

#4 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:02 AM

Fit some fans to the back of your fridge and you won't regret it. But I don't like the idea of fixing the fans with zip straps. Also it's better if they are not tied to the grill - difficult to remove it! I used a piece of ali sheet with hole cut in it. Also it's useful to fit a thermostat then the fans only work when the temperature rises.

#5 PhilB

PhilB

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

Thanks Guys, I saw the bit in the Swift Owners Club just after posting the question. I like John's idea with the ali sheet so will look at that long term but in the meantime I think I'll go with the tywraps and get a thermostat as shown in the SOC article.

Thanks again
Phil

#6 rich2

rich2

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

i am also thinking of fitting a fan to our caravan fridge, do the vents hinge or can they be removed without breaking the mastic seal as shown in the piccies?

#7 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

Don't disturb the mastic seal. On the left hand side there's a disc with a slot head on it. Give the head a quarter turn, then gently lever the grill away. The right hand side fits into grooves. When replacing, make sure the disc is in the correct position to enter the shaped hole. They break very easily.

Edited by John Douglas, 23 July 2006 - 08:22 AM.

#8 Predictable Bob

Predictable Bob

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning & red wine !

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

:D

18 months ago I fitted two 90mm 12v fans to the inside of the vent on my van using standard contact adhesive - they're still there and working so .....

:D

#9 PhilB

PhilB

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:10 AM

Don't disturb the mastic seal. On the left hand side there's a disc with a slot head on it. Give the head a quarter turn, then gently lever the grill away. The right hand side fits into grooves. When replacing, make sure the disc is in the correct position to enter the shaped hole. They break very easily.

The fasteners turn clockwise to undo BTW the exhaust vent from the gas unit is behind the right hand plate and fouls the vent slightly but you won't do any damage if you're careful

I thought of using glue but mindful that the fan can break and it would be difficult to remove.

Phil

#10 Steve

Steve

SteveP

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:35 AM

CAK Tanks do a single fan thermostatic fridge fan kit for 23.68 and a twin fan for 36.15. It's wired up to a three way switch that can be set on automatic, manual, or off. On the automatic setting the fan will turn itself on at around 20 degrees (outside temperature) on low speed, and on manual the fan operates at full speed constantly.

[attachment=964:attachment]

Fitting the twin unit was a bit tricky on our Adria as there isn't much room inside the upper vent at all :unsure:

Steve

#11 PhilB

PhilB

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

Hi All,
Thought I would just update the thread on how I fixed the fans. I got half dozen metal strips from Halfords used for fixing radios in place and made up a framework for the fans to screw in and then using metal clips to screw self tappers through I screwed the fans into position just inside the vent housing. I then built up a thermostat unit from Maplins and described on the Swift Owners Club site and strapped the sensor to the back of the fridge and bingo I now have a fully blown fridge vent system. I used two ultra quiet 12cm computer fans and at night you can hardly hear them - just waiting for the promised return of the heatwave to give it good test :)

#12 AlanB

AlanB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, Beer, a Granddaughter & a Wife

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

at what temp should the fan start and stop.

#13 Steve

Steve

SteveP

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:46 PM

at what temp should the fan start and stop.

On ours the fridge fan cuts in when the outside air temperature exceeds 20 degrees - most ready assembled kits work on the basis of an increase in outside air temperature to trigger the cooling fans rather than monitoring the internal temperature of the fridge.

Steve

#14 sleepy184

sleepy184

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning ofcourse and my DISCO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

Think I will give this one a try too.

#15 AlanB

AlanB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, Beer, a Granddaughter & a Wife

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

Steve, thanks for that im going to have to mod my van as Fridge is on Near side & in New Forest in July we had 32 most days plus 35 one day and it was ott for fridge OTT even on Gas full bore, it was strugleing to make Ice.

#16 PhilB

PhilB

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

I have the sensor hanging around the left hand end of the condenser not sure if this is the best place for it but have the thermostat set at maximum ~30C, think I may have to put a max/min thermometer in the housing to see what the ambient is and then work out a suitable arrangement. The little experience I've had with them so far there is an improvement, looks like I'll have to wait until next summer to give them a good going though. As to what temperature to set, I don't think it is an exact science if its a hot day you need to increase the airflow, fitting the thermostat means that the fans are off when the temp drops so hopefully they don't keep you awake at night.
Phil

#17 TRIDENT

TRIDENT

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

CAK Tanks do a single fan thermostatic fridge fan kit for 23.68 and a twin fan for 36.15. It's wired up to a three way switch that can be set on automatic, manual, or off. On the automatic setting the fan will turn itself on at around 20 degrees (outside temperature) on low speed, and on manual the fan operates at full speed constantly.

[attachment=964:attachment]

Fitting the twin unit was a bit tricky on our Adria as there isn't much room inside the upper vent at all :unsure:

Steve

Hi

Anybody fitted these fans o a Bailey Pagent Series 5 ?????

Regards

John

#18 Dave opf Billericay

Dave opf Billericay

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi

I have just had a engineer from Throtford look at my N112, because it was not working correctly.

He advised fitting a fan(s) with metal brackets from the side. The thermostat he advised to be set at 50 or 55 and to be positioned right above the flue.

Fans from old PC's or from say PC World or Maplin are cheap. If you want a longer life, suggest you get ones with bal bearings.

The only thing to remember, is to wire everything to the 12v low amp not the high amp. For instance if you have a 12v plug use this or patch into it. Another indication is the wires are always slimmer than the higher amps.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Edited by Dave opf Billericay, 31 August 2006 - 08:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users